By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sexism is a two way street. Of course because of society being male dominated it is a lopsided situation but women objectify us as well and we cannot stop it from happening. Sexism needs to stop...but Objectifying a person will not. Think I am lying? Guys like Channging Tatum gained fame with females because objectification, but as an actor/model seems to be completely safe with himself and believes in his talents. He opted to be in Magic Mike...and i've spoken to women before....they didnt go to watch that movie just to see him act. Think about it. He SUBJECTED himself to it because he IS a SEXUAL ENTITY. Much like some female actresses or models that we find to be attractive sexually...they exude sexual energy.

Everything you described has nothing to do with sexism, but rather art direction which the viewer who complained finds to be displeasing. I am an artist...I think I would know about art direction. Sexism is discrimination against the other sex. Making a woman moan in a movie isn't sexism, that by definition is called oversexualization.

For an artist to oversexualize is a artisitic choice...coming from the mind of a most likely overlysexual person.
Women are not so different. The problem is we act like they cannot be just as bad as us.

sexualize

[seks̸ho̵̅o̅ ə līz′

transitive verb

sexualizedsexualizin
to make sexual; endow with sexual significance, feeling, etc.

oversexualize

Verb

(third-person singular simple present oversexualizes, present participle oversexualizing, simple past and past participle oversexualized)

1. To sexualize excessively.
 Related terms
  • oversexualization
Origin

over- +‎ sexualize

It is a choice...because innately are sexual.

Of course it's a two way street. But I'm not talking about single people objectifying men/women. I'm talking about the potrayls of men/women in media. There's quite a different between being sexy, and being sexualized. You talk about art direction, and I've already mentioned that sexism is deeply rooted in our society, so of course that'll spill over in the art direction.

Just look ath these two pictures. Spider woman has a bigger pussy than spider man has a dick. Spider man is in an intimidating position, while spider woman is sitting in a very awkward position with her tits sticking out as much as possible. She's being sexualized, or oversexualized. What ever you wanna call it. And we don't even think about that, because it's so common in our culture.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
askel50 said:
DanneSandin said:

Did you know that most of the shopping for the household is by mom/the girl? So tell me again how a moaning woman in an ad will help sell a shampoo to another woman? Oh yeah, I forgot! All women must be bisexual... flawed argument. A lot of the sexualized ads are actually aimed towards other women

In most case are aimed toward men, but when they do aim to women it's because it works. Some women want to buy a product that can make easier for them to attract a man. There are ads where males are used the same way. The male/female difference of treatment it's mainly due to the fact the male brain respond easily to this kind of stimulus.

Unless he learns the difference between oversexualization and sexism he wont grasp what you're saying dude. I threw him some definitions, so hopefully he gets it.

generic-user-1 said:
DanneSandin said:

Yes you can. It happens all the time in ads.

no it isnt.  why should they objectify the people in ads?  im buying the axe deo because the ad tells me its a way of getting (more) power over women. the shampo ad tells women they get more attractive to men with this shampo,  etc.   

where do you see objectification?

Yeah, I don't think you understand the meaning of sexism. Just look at your response; YOU get power OVER women, WOMEN attracts men. YOU (as a man) is ACCTIVE, while SHE (a woman) is PASSIVE. Things like this is very deeply rooted in our culture and mindset.

DanneSandin said:

Just look ath these two pictures. Spider woman has a bigger pussy than spider man has a dick. Spider man is in an intimidating position, while spider woman is sitting in a very awkward position with her tits sticking out as much as possible. She's being sexualized, or oversexualized. What ever you wanna call it. And we don't even think about that, because it's so common in our culture.

Yeah....so? Thats how the artist imagined it and they made it a reality. 

The only sexist are the people complaing, you dont see them complaing when in 90% of videogames you are only killing men, the remaing 10% are dinosaurs etc. lol

Around the Network
askel50 said:
DanneSandin said:

Did you know that most of the shopping for the household is by mom/the girl? So tell me again how a moaning woman in an ad will help sell a shampoo to another woman? Oh yeah, I forgot! All women must be bisexual... flawed argument. A lot of the sexualized ads are actually aimed towards other women

In most case are aimed toward men, but when they do aim to women it's because it works. Some women want to buy a product that can make easier for them to attract a man. There are ads where males are used the same way. The male/female difference of treatment it's mainly due to the fact the male brain respond easily to this kind of stimulus.

The most ads with half naked women I've seen are aimed towards women. Please read my latest response to generic-user, it should just be one or two posts above this one

S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:

See, this tells me you don't understand this AT ALL. So, we're done here.

CavemanCavan said:
You use Samus in defence against sexist behavior when you can get her in a bikini. I mean. Come on.

Look I'm no decrier of portrayal but you don't have to look far to the most popular titles to see there's a discrepancy.
Also, Peach called and says she's tired of being a Macguffin

Samus can wear whatever she wants. Don't try and censor female sexuality.

DanneSandin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:

See, this tells me you don't understand this AT ALL. So, we're done here.

No. You're buying into the bastardization of the defition of sexism which has been made expansive and broadened by the media instead of looking at it for what it is. People are twisting words so they can control how you percieve things. Also I am a feminist...when I see sexism I'm very upfront to confront it. First and foremost I am eglitarian though.

geordash1 said:
CavemanCavan said:
You use Samus in defence against sexist behavior when you can get her in a bikini. I mean. Come on.

Look I'm no decrier of portrayal but you don't have to look far to the most popular titles to see there's a discrepancy.
Also, Peach called and says she's tired of being a Macguffin

Samus can wear whatever she wants. Don't try and censor female sexuality.

Exactly. Promoting censorship of sexuality is a huge blow to freedom of speech if it is available where you live.