By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Youkai Watch 2 Honke/Ganso/Shinuchi has shipped 5 million in Japan! (YW2: 3.5mil+ and YW2 Shin 1.5mil

manuel said:
ConfessYoSins said:
manuel said:
LipeJJ said:
Amazing! They need to release it as soon as possible on this side of the globe. If they market it the right way, this series can be big here too.

It's really hard to localize. It contains so much from Japanese folklore and tradition, which is extremely hard to convey in a way that makes sense and is understandable to foreigners. (If it was a book, it would need a ton of footnotes and explanations, which is pretty hard to do for a game.)

Of course if you don't care about all that it's just a monster collecting RPG like any other...

So says this guy....lol

So I guess you have another opinion?

You underestimate how many americans/foreigners like jrpgs.

Around the Network

If only these people would support the damn consoles. :/

ConfessYoSins said:
manuel said:
ConfessYoSins said:
manuel said:
LipeJJ said:
Amazing! They need to release it as soon as possible on this side of the globe. If they market it the right way, this series can be big here too.

It's really hard to localize. It contains so much from Japanese folklore and tradition, which is extremely hard to convey in a way that makes sense and is understandable to foreigners. (If it was a book, it would need a ton of footnotes and explanations, which is pretty hard to do for a game.)

Of course if you don't care about all that it's just a monster collecting RPG like any other...

So says this guy....lol

I don't doubt that.

I just said that localizing these games properly is a nightmare.

I'm translating Japanese to English and German on a daily basis, and even regular texts often make lots of trouble.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

ConfessYoSins said:
manuel said:

There are a lot of us, but i'd be surprised if even a small percentage have a keen understanding of Japanese folklore and tradition. He's not saying people in the west wouldn't like the game, just that translating it would be difficult. You can't exactly throw a footnote in every few minutes.

Mystro-Sama said:
If only these people would support the damn consoles. :/

What do you mean?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
ConfessYoSins said:
manuel said:

There are a lot of us, but i'd be surprised if even a small percentage have a keen understanding of Japanese folklore and tradition. He's not saying people in the west wouldn't like the game, just that translating it would be difficult. You can't exactly throw a footnote in every few minutes.

Exactly what I meant.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Makes sense, no argument there.

Woh... Hot damn!

manuel said:
ConfessYoSins said:
manuel said:
ConfessYoSins said:
manuel said:
LipeJJ said:

So says this guy....lol

I don't doubt that.

I just said that localizing these games properly is a nightmare.

I'm translating Japanese to English and German on a daily basis, and even regular texts often make lots of trouble.

Pokémon is just the same with translation from Japanese to English. Pikachu means electric mouse in Japanese if I'm not mistaken (Pika meaning electric and chu the sound mouses make, at least according to Japanese).

Besides, Pikmin 3 also relies on Youkai for its main story. 

A lot of people just don't care about the Japanese folklore as long as they're playing a fun game. And if Youkai Watch is fun then that should be enough to sell decent (especially if the show gets localized). 

Of course it will most likely sell nowhere near what it sells in Japan. And it's doubtful it can become as popular as Pokémon, but the sales might be enough to justify localization. 

ktay95 said:
Seriously though this is all damn impressive, wonder what Level 5 are doing with all this money??