By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Youkai Watch 2 Honke/Ganso/Shinuchi has shipped 5 million in Japan! (YW2: 3.5mil+ and YW2 Shin 1.5mil

Samus Aran said:

Pokémon is just the same with translation from Japanese to English. Pikachu means electric mouse in Japanese if I'm not mistaken (Pika meaning electric and chu the sound mouses make, at least according to Japanese).

Besides, Pikmin 3 also relies on Youkai for its main story. 

A lot of people just don't care about the Japanese folklore as long as they're playing a fun game. And if Youkai Watch is fun then that should be enough to sell decent (especially if the show gets localized). 

Of course it will most likely sell nowhere near what it sells in Japan. And it's doubtful it can become as popular as Pokémon, but the sales might be enough to justify localization. 

Pika is an onomatopoeic/mimetic word, i.e. it mimics something that does not make a sound. "Pika" or "Pikapika" is the "sound" of something that shines very brightly, like a new car, or thunder/electric sparks (in Pikachu's case). In English you could say bright or sparking or dazzling or something like that.

Apart from the names, the dialogue throughout the whole games has references to older, but also everyday culture. References to TV shows, dramas, idol singers etc. All those jokes, references and allusions would be lost in translation. However!! If the people localizing it just weave in allusions from their culture to make things more interesting, it might not be so bad.

The game itself is  a lot of fun, and I'm sure it would find its following. You can also collect real physical medals for it, so it appeals to everybody's love for collecting. It might even become a big hit, but the question is if the company behind it wants to take the risk. (They certainly could afford it...)

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Around the Network
manuel said:
Samus Aran said:

Pokémon is just the same with translation from Japanese to English. Pikachu means electric mouse in Japanese if I'm not mistaken (Pika meaning electric and chu the sound mouses make, at least according to Japanese).

Besides, Pikmin 3 also relies on Youkai for its main story. 

A lot of people just don't care about the Japanese folklore as long as they're playing a fun game. And if Youkai Watch is fun then that should be enough to sell decent (especially if the show gets localized). 

Of course it will most likely sell nowhere near what it sells in Japan. And it's doubtful it can become as popular as Pokémon, but the sales might be enough to justify localization. 

Pika is an onomatopoeic/mimetic word, i.e. it mimics something that does not make a sound. "Pika" or "Pikapika" is the "sound" of something that shines very brightly, like a new car, or thunder/electric sparks (in Pikachu's case). In English you could say bright or sparking or dazzling or something like that.

Apart from the names, the dialogue throughout the whole games has references to older, but also everyday culture. References to TV shows, dramas, idol singers etc. All those jokes, references and allusions would be lost in translation. However!! If the people localizing it just weave in allusions from their culture to make things more interesting, it might not be so bad.

The game itself is  a lot of fun, and I'm sure it would find its following. You can also collect real physical medals for it, so it appeals to everybody's love for collecting. It might even become a big hit, but the question is if the company behind it wants to take the risk. (They certainly could afford it...)

Well, they're already localizing the first Youkai Watch in case you didn't know already! 

Samus Aran said:
manuel said:
Samus Aran said:

Well, they're already localizing the first Youkai Watch in case you didn't know already! 

They are?

I didn't know that, but if they do a good job, you're all in for a treat. It's apparently a great game. (Son and wife love it.)

ktay95 said:
Haha see Shinuchi is such a flop they merged its numbers with Honke/Ganso =P
Seriously though this is all damn impressive, wonder what Level 5 are doing with all this money??

Developing Yokai Watch 3 so it can release in March and then have 3.5 release in July.

manuel said:
Samus Aran said:
manuel said:
Samus Aran said:

They are?

I didn't know that, but if they do a good job, you're all in for a treat. It's apparently a great game. (Son and wife love it.)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=877862

You don't like it? :p 

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:

I didn't play it. (No time and not enough inclination to play games right now.)

I'm pretty sure I'd like it if I tried. And probably I'd buy a ton of those medals. But I have already bought more than enough merchandise! My son has the Youkai Watch (a huge watch to insert medals... and it doesn't even tell the time!), Youkai socks, plates, cups, stickers, books, etc. Level-5 are relentless.

manuel said:
Samus Aran said:

I didn't play it. (No time and not enough inclination to play games right now.)

I'm pretty sure I'd like it if I tried. And probably I'd buy a ton of those medals. But I have already bought more than enough merchandise! My son has the Youkai Watch (a huge watch to insert medals... and it doesn't even tell the time!), Youkai socks, plates, cups, stickers, books, etc. Level-5 are relentless.

I heard you Japanese people work too much! :p 

Sometimes you just got to take a break man! I hope you get some free time soon to play it. ;) 

And yeah, companies can be so cruel to parents... 

Darwinianevolution said:
Mystro-Sama said:
If only these people would support the damn consoles. :/

What do you mean?

I think he means home consoles.

Which is fair enough call. They made Ni No Kuni last and are working on a PS4 game(or PS3), but would be nice to see a Wii U game from them.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Maraccuda said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Mystro-Sama said:
If only these people would support the damn consoles. :/

What do you mean?

Which is fair enough call. They made Ni No Kuni last and are working on a PS4 game(or PS3), but would be nice to see a Wii U game from them.

Youkai Watch Wii U would be a huge system seller. Nintendo should've paid for the game already. 

Samus Aran said:
Maraccuda said:

Youkai Watch Wii U would be a huge system seller. Nintendo should've paid for the game already. 

Would definitely help Wii U sales in Japan, wouldnt sell as much as the 3DS versions but still over 1 million in Japan easily.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda