By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

What do you make of the film?

I liked it 58 50.43%

I didn't like it 17 14.78%

I plan on going to see it 31 26.96%

I don't plan on seeing it 9 7.83%

Total:115

I loved the movie but its easy to see how they stretched what was supposed to be 2 movies into 3

and I hope the extended edition show more about Sauron and Saruman and a longer ending I haven't read the book in years but I do remember that bilbo goes back to the cave where he got his sword in the first movie and digs up the gold that the dwarves buried.

Around the Network

Just got back from watching it in IMAX...

I loved it. The battle itself was absolutely epic and a blast to watch, even if the events leading up to it felt sort of like filler to extend the run time. I love all the army chants and sounds they make when the armies are moving, that shit gets me so pumped.

CGI looked iffy in some parts, specifically when characters were running towards something, it was sometimes obvious it was a green screen, but overall the CGI was great. People always love to complain about the CGI in the Hobbit but they never seem to want to praise some of the incredible work they've done.

Azog and Bolg look fantastic and Smaug does as well, even though he does not get a lot of film time in this one. The large scale armies are very well done and you get a very large sense of scale when the camera cuts all the way up and you see the fighting.

Disappointed they barely used Beorn...I mean really come on that dude is a bad ass! I understand it might feel a bit overpowered cause he basically just rips through the entire army, but I would have loved some scenes where the guy was just ripping people in half or some shit lmao...I know a bit graphic but come on...He's a freaking giant ass bear fighting orcs.

The love story thing between Tariel (something like that) and one of those killi/filli dwarves was a bit much IMO. Not a fan, I just wanted to see big ass fight scenes lol.

Overall, I loved it. Best one of the three easily, simply because I was really looking forward to a large scale battle and they pulled it off for me. I know people like to complain about the logistics and whatnot or oh no it's not true to the book etc, but personally I don't even care. I go into the film wanting to have a good time and see some epic battle scenes and I came out very pleased.

9/10 for me.

tiffac said:
CavemanCavan said:
tiffac said:
I liked the film but not the title. I can't seem to understand why was it the battle of the 5 armies when there was only 4 (Orcs, Humans, Elves, Dwarves) did they count the birds or something?

2 armies of orc.

Eh?! I thought they counted as a single army. :/

They also had goblins. 

It's definitely better than the 60% showing up on Rotten Tomatoes right now. Many of the problems people are listing in their reviews (Jackson's hard-on for certain things in certain ways) showed up all throughout the original trilogy yet those won multiple Academy Awards and were critically acclaimed. Sure, there's some idiocy in certain scenes (like Legolas climbing up that horizontal tower - dafuq?) but they weren't so terrible that they ruined the movie.

Ugh... I'd give it a 7.5/10.

riderz13371 said:
tiffac said:
CavemanCavan said:
tiffac said:
I liked the film but not the title. I can't seem to understand why was it the battle of the 5 armies when there was only 4 (Orcs, Humans, Elves, Dwarves) did they count the birds or something?

2 armies of orc.

They also had goblins. 

But they were mercs xD

Around the Network

I can't wait to watch that entire 45 minute battle scene at home again...Also I forgot to mention, but I loved the end "boss" fights as well. Bolg Vs. Tauriel and the other dwarf (Filli/Killi?) as well as Legolas plus Azog Vs. Thorin.

The bridge scene with Legolas and Bolg was epic! Having the thing slowly collapse as they fight on it was so cool, although I will admit what Legolas did with the climbing and shit was kind of too much...I heard about it in reviews and I was watching the fight thinking what the hell were they talking about? This fight scene is epic! And then that part came and I'm like ohh okay I get it lol. Still very cool, also love how it ended.

I've actually really enjoyed all three films, even if the hardcore Tolkien fans don't seem to like them. People complain about the CGI, but I only have minor complaints. Overall shit looks stunning. Smaug, Azog etc look amazing and some of the backdrops are gorgeous.

I've personally watched both the behind the scenes footage from the Unexpected Journey and Des of Smaug and I can see how much time and effort these people put into these films, and when I see someone online complain about one little scene that has iffy CGI it just makes me really sad that they never really seem to praise all the good work they've done for the film, they only ever point out the negatives.

I'd give this trilogy a solid 8.5/10. Smaug was wonderful, possibly the greatest CG character right after Gollum and the final battle exceeded my expectations.

Original LOTR trilogy is a 9.5 for me.

tiffac said:
riderz13371 said:
tiffac said:

They also had goblins. 

But they were mercs xD

The Battle of Five Armies was a battle waged between the Goblins and the Wargs against Men of DaleElvesDwarves

That's what it says on LOTR wiki lol

binary solo said:
SvennoJ said:
I haven't seen any of the Hobbit movies yet. I'm patiently waiting for the trilogy to be released on Blu-ray. 1 more year should do it. Maybe it will even release on 4K blu-ray by then for the hfr version.
I guess I won't expect to much of it, after glancing over these comments.

Btw are they all in 48fps of was that experiment abandoned?

They all have an HFR version. But for 2 and 3 the only HFR version was the 3D. So the HFR experiment in 2D lasted just one movie.

Ah, all 3 might get an HFR 4K blu-ray release in that case. 2D from a 3D movie is nothing more than only showing one side. I guess theaters didn't want too many options to display.

I would have actually loved to watch this in HFR but they didn't have it at my theatre...I remember watching the first movie in HFR and while the actual normal scenes look kind of off, the flashback scene to the battle was amazing in HFR. Not sure what it is but a higher framerate really elevates the look of a battle sequence, and with this final film having a very large and long battle scene I would have preferred to watch it in HFR.

I think with some editing to the normal, much slower paced scenes to make them not look like soap operas and leaving the battle/faster paced scenes as is will be a perfect balance for a HFR movie. I would pick it over 24 FPS version all the time.

riderz13371 said:

The Battle of Five Armies was a battle waged between the Goblins and the Wargs against Men of DaleElvesDwarves

That's what it says on LOTR wiki lol

Really? Hahahaha OMgosh~ The Goblins were not represented properly xD