Forums - Movies & TV - The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

What do you make of the film?

I liked it 58 50.43%

I didn't like it 17 14.78%

I plan on going to see it 31 26.96%

I don't plan on seeing it 9 7.83%

Total:115
Puppyroach said:
Saw it Friday, a solid 8/10. It doesn't come close to LOTR trilogy but it is a perfect way to set newcomers up for those movies. As far as I know, neither Sauron, Saruman, the nine or Azog the defiler are in the book, but Jackson has woven them into the storyline in a plausible way. A director should never emulate a book page-by-page but rather retell the story the way he sees it. But he does it better in LOTR.

Legolas moves are as crazy as ever, but he is an elf, it sorta comes with the territory :).

Well, the Hobbit can't really be emulated page-by-page, it's a story that's not properly paced to be a film if you tried to stay close, but he just seemed to introduce stuff for the hell of it and deviated far off geography and history, again just for the lulz. It's very disrespectful to the source material, which could still have been embellished into an epic action movie without adding so many needless things.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
tiffac said:
I liked the film but not the title. I can't seem to understand why was it the battle of the 5 armies when there was only 4 (Orcs, Humans, Elves, Dwarves) did they count the birds or something?

2 armies of orc.

CavemanCavan said:
tiffac said:
I liked the film but not the title. I can't seem to understand why was it the battle of the 5 armies when there was only 4 (Orcs, Humans, Elves, Dwarves) did they count the birds or something?

2 armies of orc.

Eh?! I thought they counted as a single army. :/

Not at all. They even say "There's a second army coming!" Several times.

But if it makes you feel better... let's pretend Bilbo is an army of One (ring)

tiffac said:
CavemanCavan said:
tiffac said:

2 armies of orc.

Instead of calling it Orcs and Wargs, they just had the army of Bolg and the army of Azog. Though why Azog needed to be alive, i don't know...

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Instead of calling it Orcs and Wargs, they just had the army of Bolg and the army of Azog. Though why Azog needed to be alive, i don't know...

Well I think I can accept that instead of the Birds or Nature as the 5th army. lol!

Mr Khan said:
Gah, i left the theatre in a rotten mood, compounded by an aggravating street design and some asshole on my block who faulted me for parking comfortably spaced apart from the car in front of me because he couldn't fit his goddamn pickup truck behind (ended up moving, bumped into him on the way out, not deliberately, but because the jackass got exactly what he wanted, to be crammed in there so that neither of us could really maneuver out)

1) The Esgalduin is the one that drains the Long Lake, not the Anduin! I heard one woman say it clear as day

2) There is NOTHING to the North of Erebor. He told Legolas to "go north," which in reality is a good way to tell a son you're feuding with to go sod off because you're telling him to go off into the damn Forodwaith.

3) Mt. Gundabad is miles and miles from Erebor. The geography of it was specious enough even in The Hobbit itself that the Orcs could move from Gundabad to Erebor in the span of weeks between the death of Smaug and the Battle, but to have time for folks to go to and fro from it is just madness.

This is setting aside all the other craziness. Yes it was nice seeing Galadriel get to be badass, but you could've done it without taking a hatchet to the history of middle earth! Why did they need to fight the Nine, why did they need to fight anyone? They advanced, and the Necromancer retreated, because Sauron had actually been ready to retreat from Dol Guldur and go back to Mordor. You could have had a "battle of wills" between Galadriel and Sauron without having to get the Nine involved. And what's the "watch on the walls of Mordor" business? Gondor abandoned that watch almost 1500 years before the Battle of Five Armies

4) Tauriel x Kili made me facepalm and groan. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Look, i get that you want to make it epic, but the material was there. Yes, even if you wanted to make three movies, the choices they made make no sense, unless their goal is to piss off fans of the book like me. In which case they've well succeeded.

The women in my life loved this part. They also loved the Galadriel scene.

6/10 for me. It was OK.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

SvennoJ said:
I haven't seen any of the Hobbit movies yet. I'm patiently waiting for the trilogy to be released on Blu-ray. 1 more year should do it. Maybe it will even release on 4K blu-ray by then for the hfr version.
I guess I won't expect to much of it, after glancing over these comments.

Btw are they all in 48fps of was that experiment abandoned?

They all have an HFR version. But for 2 and 3 the only HFR version was the 3D. So the HFR experiment in 2D lasted just one movie.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Mr Khan said:
Gah, i left the theatre in a rotten mood, compounded by an aggravating street design and some asshole on my block who faulted me for parking comfortably spaced apart from the car in front of me because he couldn't fit his goddamn pickup truck behind (ended up moving, bumped into him on the way out, not deliberately, but because the jackass got exactly what he wanted, to be crammed in there so that neither of us could really maneuver out)

1) The Esgalduin is the one that drains the Long Lake, not the Anduin! I heard one woman say it clear as day

2) There is NOTHING to the North of Erebor. He told Legolas to "go north," which in reality is a good way to tell a son you're feuding with to go sod off because you're telling him to go off into the damn Forodwaith.

3) Mt. Gundabad is miles and miles from Erebor. The geography of it was specious enough even in The Hobbit itself that the Orcs could move from Gundabad to Erebor in the span of weeks between the death of Smaug and the Battle, but to have time for folks to go to and fro from it is just madness.

This is setting aside all the other craziness. Yes it was nice seeing Galadriel get to be badass, but you could've done it without taking a hatchet to the history of middle earth! Why did they need to fight the Nine, why did they need to fight anyone? They advanced, and the Necromancer retreated, because Sauron had actually been ready to retreat from Dol Guldur and go back to Mordor. You could have had a "battle of wills" between Galadriel and Sauron without having to get the Nine involved. And what's the "watch on the walls of Mordor" business? Gondor abandoned that watch almost 1500 years before the Battle of Five Armies

4) Tauriel x Kili made me facepalm and groan. Terrible, terrible, terrible.

Look, i get that you want to make it epic, but the material was there. Yes, even if you wanted to make three movies, the choices they made make no sense, unless their goal is to piss off fans of the book like me. In which case they've well succeeded.

The women in my life loved this part. They also loved the Galadriel scene.

6/10 for me. It was OK.

I wasn't a fan of the execution of it, but the killer for me was a joint between the fact that the token woman added in is used for a made-up romance plot, and that Elf and Dwarf romance simply would never happen in Middle Earth as the books told it. Dwarves liked Dwarf women, who were indeed supposed to look a lot like Dwarf men, and also not be very interested in romance or sex (part of the reason why there were never that many Dwarves, and why they died out sometime in the Fourth Age according to Tolkien's letters). A dwarf wouldn't go for a she-elf.

I just saw the movie about an hour ago and I definitely agree that they should have shown what happened between Saruman and Sauron. I felt that it could have been interesting, hell if you're gonna deviate from the book that much you might as well go all out right, but overall I loved the film.