By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo be more experimental?

Tagged games:

What's the best combination for Nintendo?

Traditional software + traditional hardware 7 14.29%

Traditional software + experimental hardware 5 10.20%

Experimental software + traditional hardware 24 48.98%

Experiental software + experimental hardware 8 16.33%

What is a "nintendo"? 5 10.20%

Total:49
KyleeStrutt said:
Mystro-Sama said:

That's because they weren't developer friendly.

The NGC was the most developer friendly console Nintendo's ever done, easy to make games for, easy to port games for, great hardware and simple architecture.

But it had one big issue and that was the fact that it used mini discs... While the ps2 and xbox used DVDs which could hold 4.7GB of space, the GC's minidiscs could only hold 1.5GB which was a biggg issue when it came to porting games

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
KyleeStrutt said:
Mystro-Sama said:

That's because they weren't developer friendly.

The NGC was the most developer friendly console Nintendo's ever done, easy to make games for, easy to port games for, great hardware and simple architecture.

Yea, the GC was amazing. I was talking about Nintendo. They're just now realising how important 3rd parties are. lol

More experiment with traditional franchises, like Mario and Zelda; go back to tradition with series that have strayed - Metroid.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

But it had one big issue and that was the fact that it used mini discs... While the ps2 and xbox used DVDs which could hold 4.7GB of space, the GC's minidiscs could only hold 1.5GB which was a biggg issue when it came to porting games

Yes, however, not all games actually fullfilled those 4,7gb, as can be seen by the digital releases and PC versions of many PS2-Xbox games, most where between 2gb-3gb, still more than what a NGC game can hold sure, but there were plenty of games that used 2 discs, and with the mini dvds being cheaper to produce than the regular ones, the price of the game stayed the same.

They need to be experimental with hardware in a different way than they've been doing. I like the idea of a unified platform and I like the idea of a more iOS approach to consoles. That's the type of experimentation that should be done in that regard. I also don't mind them experimenting with controllers and stuff. The gamepad really is awesome, but it shouldn't be mandatory. It should be an extra. An aaccessory

I think they should also be more experimental with your software, but only some of it. Games like Mario kart and smash brothers are doing fine with their current trajectory, while games like Star Fox, Zelda, and Metroid seriously need to be rechecked, even if it's just getting back to what made the franchises famous in the first place. Innovation through revisitation.

Around the Network

This is definitely a tough call. Typically Nintendo finds ways of experimenting with hardware to make games different, but in modern gaming industry it just isnt a feasible way of making lots of money.

I dont want Nintendo to discard their creative minds but I also want them to sell more.... hmmmmmmmmmmmm......

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Voltaris said:

touche, maybe a decent ad campaign aswell

Also, the GC wasn't too developer-friendly since it used mini-disks instead of DVD!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---