By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U beaten by the Dreamcast - what now?

I don't think Nintendo will ever be a major force in the home console business again. They still make great games and they are an industry treasure, but the times have passed them by as a hardware maker, and they're too slow moving and old fashioned of a company to ever really lead in the console side again. I don't think their "us against the entire development community" way of doing things works.

Maybe if they can find another craze, but I doubt it. They have nothing to hang their head in shame about though, they've had a great run and great longevity. Most companies can't hack it in this business for more than 10-15 years, Nintendo is past 30 years as a hardware maker.

They should be able to survive at a more modest level of success based on handhelds, even though that market shrinks every year, they have enough money in the bank to put things on cruise control for a while.

But I don't think they will ever again "lead" this industry, they're just too idiosyncratic in a lot of ways for that to ever happen, and the industry has broadened too much with college aged and adult gamers that Nintendo's "one size fits all" concept of gaming just doesn't work for a lot of people anymore.

You can see the disconnect with a 60+ year old Miyamoto demoing Project Guard and that robot sumo game at E3 last year and what the modern console audience largely is, which is Western males who are into big blockbuster style Western games ... I mean, Nintendo just isn't even in the same horse race. 

Around the Network
mii-gamer said:
Zoombael said:
Mad55 said:
Nintendo is really financially stable though i don't understand how these threads come about.

i dont understand how comments like yours come to be.

its not about how stable nintendo is, its about how (un)successful the wii u is/will be.

Maybe you should read the OP again

Uhm. You definitely should read the OP... end.

Hunting Season is done...

Zoombael said:

Maybe you should read the OP again

Uhm. You definitely should read the OP... end.

So you have nothing? 

zippy said:
So according to VG chartz numbers, the Wii U has a good chance of passing the Dreamcast next week, then we can put tne whole Dreamcast thing to bed.

However Dreamcast sold over 10m. VGChartz figures must be wrong, or Wii U is severely undertracked if it is to overtake the Dreamcsat next week.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Razeak said:
I'm under the impression Sega couldn't afford the losses on each sale of the console. Nintendo is breaking even or above water on WiiU for each console sold if I'm not mistaken. That creates two completely different scenarios for decision making. If Sega had been making a small profit on each console, I'm sure they would have kept the Dreamcast alive for the generation.

The definition people are using as failure for WiiU is it isn't 1 in sales or isn't keeping up with Wii. Obviously the situation is not optimal, but Nintendo is in a stable position with WiiU and they are making money on that console. In their eyes it's presently marginally successful after being a huge drain. We won't be able to render the final verdict for another couple of years.

No, it's more something like : it's selling much less than the xbox 1, gamecube, N64, PS3 and less than the dreamcast and any console from the 4 major constructors in the last 20 years. And they are last, not "not first". And overall, even when not comparing to past, even not really comparing, it's not selling well for a product (about 4 millions a years), and it's selling bad in term of market share in its market. It's selling extremely bad.

But I agree their situation is still completely different from Sega. It's not their 2nd console in a row failing (or 4 if you count sega-cd and 32X). They can anticipate profit. They have a handle console that is profitable. They have money in cash. They know how to make profit from their licenses, and they have plenty of licenses very alive. They are in the console business for 30 years (which is about forever). And last, I could be wrong, but I think they don't have this reputation to be a loser company (sorry to say that, I was an hardcore fan of the genesis and still respect them)

Around the Network
zippy said:
So according to VG chartz numbers, the Wii U has a good chance of passing the Dreamcast next week, then we can put tne whole Dreamcast thing to bed.

Wat? The Wii U has sold considerably slower than the Dreamcast. That was my whole point. The Dreamcast sold better than the Wii U and was still discontinued yet Nintendo are still supporting the Wii U which has been annihilated by the competition. Nintendo haven't a clue as to what they are doing. 

ps4tw said:
zippy said:

Wat? The Wii U has sold considerably slower than the Dreamcast. That was my whole point. The Dreamcast sold better than the Wii U and was still discontinued yet Nintendo are still supporting the Wii U which has been annihilated by the competition. Nintendo haven't a clue as to what they are doing. 

Supposedly Sega shipped a bit more than 10 million units, including those ones that were sold after the discontinuation. I'd like to hear though how many consoles had sold after two years of its launch.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

ps4tw said:
zippy said:

Keeping their user base happy and some time trying to make profit (look last quarter report and this holiday one)!?

ps4tw said:
zippy said:

The difference is that Wii U is still selling, still being supported and Nintendo are making money. As i said VG chartz now has Wii U about 500k ahead of the Dreamcast, blame VG chartz if those numbers are incorrect.

They should:

- Keep providing top-notch (getting 90+ on Metacritic) games on the Wii-U for the rest of this generation.

- Keep giving us free online play and perfectly polished on release games.

- Keep exploring new ideas like Xenoblade, Captain Toad, Splatoon while putting out beautifully crafted installments of beloved series.

- Keep being whispered among core gamers as having awesome titles.

- Keep saving titles like Bayonetta and Devil's Third while promoting indies with projects like Shovel Knight.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY

- Keep hoping glitched out AAA third parties represent their rivals as gamers slowly get more and more pissed at that scene... maybe pass some money under the table if needs be.

Then wait and see how the next gen goes.