By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamepad poll - Should Nintendo consider removing Gamepad from future bundles?

Should Nintendo consider removing the gamepad from future WiiU bundles.

Remove the gamepad 98 34.75%

Keep the gamepad 155 54.96%

View results 29 10.28%

Total:282
super_etecoon said:

The screen is amazing.  Half the time I find myself looking at it instead of the tv anyway.

Amazing? Let me guess... you never saw the screen of a good tablet (iPad Retina, Nexus 7, 9, 10, Kindle HDX...) or the screen of a good smartphone.

Around the Network
Conina said:
super_etecoon said:

The screen is amazing.  Half the time I find myself looking at it instead of the tv anyway.

Amazing? Let me guess... you never saw the screen of a good tablet (iPad Retina, Nexus 7, 9, 10, Kindle HDX...) or the screen of a good smartphone.

Of course I have.  I'm not a tech snob though and realize those devices cost upwards of $5-600, just for the tablet.  C'mon...what are we arguing here?  The point is that the resolution on the screen is very clear and keeps me immersed in the game world.

Never said:

What nintendo should do is give a largly cosmetic update to the gamepad. Make it look a lot cooler, refine the ergonomics and improve the battery.

That would be one way to go. Make the Wii U tablet optional and sell different SKUs:

- the premium model with the normal WiiU tablet controller would stay available (like the first 3DS)

- a deluxe model with a enhanced tablet controller: less clunky, 720p instead of 480p (most WiiU games are 720p, so Off-TV would be native resolution), better battery life (like the 3DS XL)

- a cheaper Wii U model with Pro controller instead of tablet controller (like the 2DS)

You could buy a tablet controller as accessory for the cheap model: free choice of the normal tablet controller and the deluxe tablet controller.

Owners of the old WiiU console could buy the deluxe tablet controller as accessory and sell their normal tablet controller to owners of the cheap model.

If Amiibo make a shit ton of cash (which im sure they will) then the gamepad will have been justified on that alone.

super_etecoon said:
Conina said:
super_etecoon said:

Of course I have.  I'm not a tech snob though and realize those devices cost upwards of $5-600, just for the tablet.  C'mon...what are we arguing here?  The point is that the resolution on the screen is very clear and keeps me immersed in the game world.

$500 - $600? http://www.displaymate.com/Tablet_ShootOut_4.htm

Fire HDX (1920x1200 HD IPS display) = $178 : http://www.amazon.com/kindle-fire-hdx-student-gaming-tablet/dp/B00BWYQ9YE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1418429899&sr=8-4&keywords=fire+hdx

Nexus 7 (1920x1200 HD IPS display) = $179: http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Google-7-Inch-Black-Tablet/dp/B00DVFLJDS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418430099&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+7&pebp=1418430096751

Fire HD6 (1280x800) = $99: http://www.amazon.com/Fire-HD-Display-Wi-Fi-GB/dp/B00KC6I06S/

Especially a 1280x800 or 1280x720 display would be a good choice for a revamped WiiU tablet controller... most WiiU games are in 1280x720, so they cold be mirrored 1:1 without downscaling for off-tv-mode.

Around the Network

The WiiU and a good portion of it's games would not work well without the pad. It is an asinine thought that they should remove it. Besides, it's a fantastic controller.

zippy said:
If Amiibo make a shit ton of cash (which im sure they will) then the gamepad will have been justified on that alone.

That's a point. They'd have to add amiibo support to the pro controller...

and headphone support...

As well as spend a huge amount of time as resources patching many old Wii U games to not need the gamepad...

And render future system defining games that will never work without the gamepad, like Mario Make and Starfox U, purely a novalty...

And kiss goodbye to a chunk of indie support from tablet and phone games.

You think people are offput by the pad now? Imagine when they have to buy one after purchasing a padless Wii U because it's required for SM3DW, Zombi U, XBX, Kirby, Monster Hunter, Mario Party 10, Captain Toad, Zelda U, Star Fox, Hyrule Warriors MP, Pikmin 3, and any amiibo functionality.

Not to mention the pad is actually amazing for gaming when done right. Captain Toad, Mario Party 10, Zombi U, WWHD, MK8, and XBX are all great examples of how the gamepad rocks:

Captain Toad uses all of the features such as mic, touch, and gyroscope to good effect.

MP10 shows really fun use of asymmetric game play.

Zombi U adds extra tension and terror by making you rummage through your inventory manually and taking your eyes off screen.

WWHD shows how great the second screen map and easy access, non-interrupting menu navigation is.

MK8 adds a level of immersion and shows how well gyroscope controls can work.

XBCX shows a map, allows fast travel, and gives customized menus(?).

The point it would be a retarded move to remove the Gamepad considering it is essential. That would be the worst customer experience, perhaps in videogame history, selling a console that doesn't work without a controller required to use the console.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I honestly hate this argument since the Wii U is defined by the gamepad BUT in order to boost sales I do feel Nintendo should make a gamepadless console with the option to buy the gamepad separately.

Reducing the initial console cost will cause many more people to buy the console, then if they want the gamepad they can buy it later, no doubt for a slightly higher price than if bundled together.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda