By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The PS4 might be killing its first dev soon.

The Fury said:
150k copies for Disgaea is enough to keep them afloat? 4 sold half a million, no reason why this can't.

Userbase?

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Jazz2K said:

It's ok if it sells mainly to PS user. But why are they complaining about possible sells if they choose to release on one platform only? It wouldn't be Bloodborne's fault but their own. 

They are not complaining, Disgaea games were always their biggest success, they just gave us a number they need to get.
They survived the beggining of PS3 with Disgaea 3 being exclusive on it, while it being a troubled console and PS2 being a monster. They will make it again.

I liked Disgaea games. Hope they fare well. 

They could just port to PC, there's been a slew of Japanese games going to PC like visual novels and other types and there is an audience there wanting more, VC was met with praise and profit when it released on Steam, I'm sure NIS could make an easy profit if they just ported the previous games to PC (albeit upscaled and a few more options) while having the latest be on PS4 for the time being and eventually port that to PC too to recoup costs, the PC market can definitely use more Japanese games and will return devs that try with profit.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

artur-fernand said:
Fuck Disgaea, we get tons of sequels for this crap and it's ALWAYS localized.
Meanwhile, the GOOD rpg's are ignored, and several promissing franchises are in limbo or dead (Suikoden, The Legend of Dragoon, Valkyria Chronicles, Folklore, Breath of Fire, Xenogears, I could go on and on).

FUCK DISGAEA. I HATE this game.

Oh, and fuck Hyperdimension Neptunia too. Fuck.

Tons of sequels?? This is the 5th main game, 6th if you count D2 in 11 years.

Meanwhile these good RPGs of yours come from Konami, Sony, Sega, Sony, Capcom, SQEX. So blame them for not using them.

NIS and CH are both small companies making what they can to make money, nothing they do would effect these massive companies and how well their series would sell.

Nippon Ichi makes good games. I hope they reach their sales target.

Around the Network

Update:

It seems like NIS won't be the first victim killed by the PS4. xD

NIS CEO: Disgaea 5 Won’t Bankrupt Us

“If Disgaea 5 does not sell as planned, I, as the producer, might need to leave the Japanese gaming industry. (LOL)”

“This comment was simply self-deprecating humor and in no way did it mean or imply that Nippon Ichi Software as a company is going bankrupt or is in financial difficulties. I was merely trying to use humor in order to get the point across that we are committed to selling 150,000 copies of Disgaea 5.”

I guess something was lost in translation. lol!

JazzB1987 said:
The Fury said:
150k copies for Disgaea is enough to keep them afloat? 4 sold half a million, no reason why this can't.

Userbase?

800k in Japan, that will increase over the week and Japanese gamers are waiting for soemthing good and japanese to play. When the game does come to the west the userbase is big enough.

Hmm, pie.

artur-fernand said:
Fuck Disgaea, we get tons of sequels for this crap and it's ALWAYS localized.
Meanwhile, the GOOD rpg's are ignored, and several promissing franchises are in limbo or dead (Suikoden, The Legend of Dragoon, Valkyria Chronicles, Folklore, Breath of Fire, Xenogears, I could go on and on).

FUCK DISGAEA. I HATE this game.

Oh, and fuck Hyperdimension Neptunia too. Fuck.

artur-fernand said:

Well, sorry 'bout that. And it's not like I have any prejudice with the game, I've tried one of them (some on the PSP I don't know, who cares) and couldn't stand it. But yep, this thing always has new games. Something like Grandia is DEAD by now. Not ever some tiny little rumor about Grandia IV, NOTHING.

But don't take it too seriously, I'm more pissed about the situation than the franchise itself. I know how it is to see your favorite games being bashed by some random dude on the internet. Believe me.

You do realise these two things don't interact with each other at all, right?

I get what you're saying - I miss things like Grandia and Suikoden too, but getting Disgaea & Neptunia games in the west doesn't jeopardize our chances of getting these franchises.  They're completely separate.

Konami, for whatever reason, have decided they don't want to make any more Suikoden games.  Same with GungHo with Grandia.  Same with Capcom with Breath of Fire (and 6 doesn't count! :P).

Regardless of that, Neptunia & Disgaea games are made by different developers.  And localized by different teams who, if there was a new Suikoden game made for whatever reason, wouldn't be able to get their hands on it anyway.

If you dig through NISA's forums, there's a post somewhere where Houk said that they approached SEGA about localizing Yakuza 5 and were turned down.  So companies like NIS, like Aksys, like IFI, like XSEED, go after the games they've actually got a chance at being allowed to localize.  And people like me are damn grateful we get stuff like this rather than the alternative - nothing at all.

I'm guessing you probably know all this already, but it's worth repeating.  The choice isn't Disgaea or Suikoden.  It's Disgaea or nothing.

Kresnik said:

You do realise these two things don't interact with each other at all, right?

I get what you're saying - I miss things like Grandia and Suikoden too, but getting Disgaea & Neptunia games in the west doesn't jeopardize our chances of getting these franchises.  They're completely separate.

Konami, for whatever reason, have decided they don't want to make any more Suikoden games.  Same with GungHo with Grandia.  Same with Capcom with Breath of Fire (and 6 doesn't count! :P).

Regardless of that, Neptunia & Disgaea games are made by different developers.  And localized by different teams who, if there was a new Suikoden game made for whatever reason, wouldn't be able to get their hands on it anyway.

If you dig through NISA's forums, there's a post somewhere where Houk said that they approached SEGA about localizing Yakuza 5 and were turned down.  So companies like NIS, like Aksys, like IFI, like XSEED, go after the games they've actually got a chance at being allowed to localize.  And people like me are damn grateful we get stuff like this rather than the alternative - nothing at all.

I'm guessing you probably know all this already, but it's worth repeating.  The choice isn't Disgaea or Suikoden.  It's Disgaea or nothing.

Oh yes, I'm aware of that. Like I said on my second post, you shouldn't take what I said too seriously. I'm just pissed because it seems the universe keep taunting me. "Oooh, so you want rpgs? How about these Disgaea and Neptunia stuff? No? Well, FUCK YOU THEN". So I just take my anger on these games instead =P

Also, seeing Disgaea 5 needing just 150k copies to be profitable kinda raises the question if rpg's are really that screwed up in today's markets. They don't need big budgets, I think it's more a thing of managing your resources correctly (something that japanese developers have been TERRIBLE at in the last few years, but oh well, there's always hope).

It's especially more agravating since another niche genre (adventure/point-and-click) is somewhat being revitalized (remakes of classic Lucasarts games, Telltales game etc). Goddammit, what about the other niche? 

artur-fernand said:

Also, seeing Disgaea 5 needing just 150k copies to be profitable kinda raises the question if rpg's are really that screwed up in today's markets. They don't need big budgets, I think it's more a thing of managing your resources correctly (something that japanese developers have been TERRIBLE at in the last few years, but oh well, there's always hope).

Do you reckon?

I mean, the bigger the Japanese dev, the more problems there seems to be (see: Capcom & Square Enix).  But the smaller ones seem to be doing absolutely fine on their own.

Given that this was a joke, it seems that the 150k for Disgaea isn't that much of a problem as we'd thought.  The Hyperdimension Neptunia games sell 40k or so in Japan and a bit more overseas and are clearly Compile Heart's biggest money maker.  Gust are porting Atelier games to sell ~ 30k copies plus some digital and profiting from it.

I actually think Japanese devs are managing their budgets better than anyone.  I can't think of any comparable western dev who can turn profits on such small sales and put out a physical release.