By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If you hated Wind Waker, you'll really hate Zelda U.

KLAMarine said:
I loved Wind Waker, sailing and all. It felt like I was actually sailing a huge ocean.

this. a super casual game I can see not digging Wind Waker (calling it tedious) but the world takes place in a large water area with islands; hard to avoid lots of sailing, unless the player could care less about the absorbtion of the story

Around the Network
Asriel said:
I think you've read too much into it, but it's been obvious for a while this would be the most 'open' 3D Zelda. This is a game with at least 11 months of development to go, and I think the video was deliberately restrained to display only a couple of key mechanics.

I think given the complaints levelled at Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, there'll be more to do over-world wise in Zelda U than Wind Waker, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is similar to the island system in that there are points of interest (of varying complexity) to discover. I don't think these'll be evenly spaced out, and I think there will be more of them than Wind Waker. I think the key point about Zelda U is that it will be more challenging and fun to discover these areas: you won't see an island as the only point of interest, you'll see a certain feature (like a tower in the quick demo, or that gateway which seemed to indicate a dungeon was near by) in the landscape that you can go and investigate. Hopefully they'll take some cues from Skyward Sword in that these areas won't be easy to get to, even once you've found them. I'd hope parts of the overworld are still a challenge to navigate.

I'd also like to see 'hidden' dungeons, like in the first games. Maybe main quest dungeons will be easier to find, but have some secret ones for players to find and explore. Make these as sophisticated as the main quest dungeons, rather than the simple cave/chamber type areas you get in Wind Waker, for example.

I don't agree that this is Wind Waker on land, but I think there are points of comparison. Ultimately I think more cues are being taken from the original Zelda, but it's obvious the influence of more recent, 3D Zeldas will be quite prevalent in this game.

I'm not saying that there won't be more things to do than in Wind Waker, but I think it's obvious that the pacing will be similar just by the trailer. And like I said, there was a ton to do in Wind Waker. There were towers, just like you mentioned, in Wind Waker. There were 'hidden' dungeons, in the form of Submarines, in Wind Waker. The first game didn't have hidden dungeons as complex as the main dungeons anyway. I'm pretty sure hidden dungeons weren't even added until ALttP.

i still think that it's obviously Wind Waker on land, but I don't think you're understanding that I realize just what differences the 'on land' can bring. Obviously land turrain offers a verticality in exploration that the ocean can next physically offer, so there will be differences. But they are structurally far more similar than anything in Zelda 1. Aonuma obviously wants to capture the spirit of that game, and he's definitely doing that, but mechanically it's more similar to Wind Waker. Zelda 1 is a far more compact world. A fast travel system like Epona wouldn't work there. I honestly don't think we disagree as much as you seem to, but just about everything you said is done in Wind Waker. 

curl-6 said:
I hated Wind Waker but I reckon I'll love Zelda U.
Its rendition of Hyrule Field looks vastly more interesting than the dead-boring sea in WW.

Then you may want to replay Wind Waler because the similarities are uncanny. The sea was just as 'boring' as anything seen in that gameplay.

I liked windwaker because of it's art and more important the temples, which have yet to be mentioned . I loved TP way more than windwaker, so for me it's Uncharted all the way next Christmas.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

S.Peelman said:

Nice monologue, but it depends on what's there.

Wind Waker's sailing was tedious because there was nothing to do for minutes on end on a flat blue field of nothing. The HD version anyway fixed some things because of the Swift-sail which besides the added speed also eliminated the need to redirect the wind, something that originally slowed down things greatly and hindered freedom. I remains a big ocean though, literally, of nothing.

Zelda U at least got Wind Waker beat in that part; riding around on a horse through a varied landscape is loads more interesting than sailing in a straight line.

The sailing wasn't even the only (or biggest) problem I had with Wind Waker though. It was way, way too easy. Moreover there were too few dungeons which were also too short and again too easy. These things were adressed by Twilight Princess, though also still easy it wasn't that easy, and Skyward Sword (and even the handheld titles) so I'd expect the line of progress to continue.

I thought both SS and especially TP were easier than WW. As for the ocean, I disagree once again. The ocean was filled to the brim with things to do. I've played Wind Waker like 6 times, and not once have I made it from point A to B without taking at least one significant detour to explore.

Around the Network
Moonhero said:
Massive open world to freely wander in... If you like Skyrim, you should enjoy the new Hyrule.

That seems like a shallow comparison to make. I showed concrete areas where the two games are structurally identical. You just made a blanker statement. There's nothing mechanically similar about Skyrim.

no shitty boat with the forever ocean, its already waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above it as far as my interests go. I like what I have seen so far and look forward to it. At the moment about the only game I see myself buying for wiiu in 2015. Im skeptical of star fox, I want it to be as good as the n64 one..... we will see....

Qwark said:
I liked windwaker because of it's art and more important the temples, which have yet to be mentioned . I loved TP way more than windwaker, so for me it's Uncharted all the way next Christmas.

I didn't mention them because we don't know anything about Zelda Us temples yet. I was only making comparisons with what we know.

LiquorandGunFun said:
no shitty boat with the forever ocean, its already waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above it as far as my interests go. I like what I have seen so far and look forward to it. At the moment about the only game I see myself buying for wiiu in 2015. Im skeptical of star fox, I want it to be as good as the n64 one..... we will see....

Then you just don't like the aesthetics of sailing an ocean, because mechanically they are presented almost identically here.

spemanig said:
LiquorandGunFun said:

Then you just don't like the aesthetics of sailing an ocean, because mechanically they are presented almost identically here.

I think I will be the judge of that when I play the game. Thanks.