By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If you hated Wind Waker, you'll really hate Zelda U.

spemanig said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

All that sailing in WW doing nothing was really annoying, but I looked past it because the game was good.  It did feel like that was there for no reason other than for NIntendo to tout about having a big world, seems like they are doing the same thing with Zelda U.  

Dechizen said:
not at all, sailing got boring,

Like I said, if you hated sailing, you're gonna hate this game.

No, like I said I hated sailing but I still liked WW.  Rarely does a game come along where I like every aspect of it, like with SSB I hate that it has no major single player mode and has fallen behind other fighting games like Mortal Kombat/Injustice in that regard, but I'm able to look past that cause the game is good.

Around the Network
LiquorandGunFun said:
spemanig said:
LiquorandGunFun said:
no shitty boat with the forever ocean, its already waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay above it as far as my interests go. I like what I have seen so far and look forward to it. At the moment about the only game I see myself buying for wiiu in 2015. Im skeptical of star fox, I want it to be as good as the n64 one..... we will see....

Then you just don't like the aesthetics of sailing an ocean, because mechanically they are presented almost identically here.

I think I will be the judge of that when I play the game. Thanks.

I think there's no reason you can't be the judge of that now. You see the game. You've played Wind Waker. The differences and similaries are already at least somewhat clear. The differences are aesthetic and the similarities are mostly technical. You seem like a smart guy, so I see no reason why you couldn't presume based off of what you know.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
spemanig said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

All that sailing in WW doing nothing was really annoying, but I looked past it because the game was good.  It did feel like that was there for no reason other than for NIntendo to tout about having a big world, seems like they are doing the same thing with Zelda U.  

Dechizen said:

No, like I said I hated sailing but I still liked WW.  Rarely does a game come along where I like every aspect of it, like with SSB I hate that it has no major single player mode and has fallen behind other fighting games like Mortal Kombat/Injustice in that regard, but I'm able to look past that cause the game is good.

Oh right right. Then maybe you just won't enjoy the horse sections. What did you like about WW?

mountaindewslave said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

I mean there was SOMETHING to do, you couldn't go that far without encountering a giant octopus or whatever. I do agree that it got tedious, but that is the environment of the story; a water world. can't exactly avoid sailing a lot.... I do feel as though it gave it a bit more realism, something people obviously may be torn about with a Zelda game

I rather liked the sailing, maybe would have preferred shorter sailing distances, but all the same didn't find it a problem

I think I fought an octopus once so it made one sailing trip fun, but the dozens and dozens of other ones were still boring.  I didn't like those treasures cause you had to completely stop and reposition yourself perfectly to get it, it took way too long and was too tedious.  Even Nintendo pretty much admitted the sailing was way too much by adding a quicker speed in the re-release.

spemanig said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
spemanig said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Dechizen said:

Oh right right. Then maybe you just won't enjoy the horse sections. What did you like about WW?

Boss fights, my favorite was Puppet Ganon and the last boss Ganon.  The story was good too, I felt real motivation to try to save link's little sister.  Pretty much almost everything except the sailing parts.  I don't really remember too much about the dungeons tho.

Around the Network

Its one of my favorite franchises, if I am going to hate it, I need good reason to, and I usually get that from playing it. Its hard for me to look at it and write it off. I even rented the remake of windwaker for wiiu to try to find some reason to like it and give it another chance, but i got bored and reluctant to even turn it on, so i sent it back to gamefly.

Not every zelda game is a winner, but the ones that do win big in my book.

spemanig said:
Point 1: Epona is the King of Red Lions

The most obvious thing is Epona. Epona controls almost exactly the same as the King of Red Lions does in WWHD. The difference is that while the King had a swift sail to speed up, you must repeatedly mash the A button to speed Epona up. I think it's great that Epona now controls like the King, because the worlds are built in such a similar way, but repeatedly needing to mash a button to maintain a faster speed bothers me. It seems like they got rid of the absolutely horrible stamina meter for dashing, which makes it infinitely more tolerable, but my point still stands; don't punish your player for wanting to traverse your world in a faster way. I know that the game is still trying to maintain believability in the way a horse works, but this is a game and Epona is a game mechanic. Don't screw up a game mechanic for immersion.

I'm stopping right here. There is no evidence that you have to keep mashing A to speed Epona up. None whatsoever. It's entirely plausible, for instance, that they'll make it all feel fluid by working with something similar to the Hyrule Warriors dash mechanic, where the character starts dashing if you run (normally) for long enough... but if you hold dodge for just a few seconds either when starting to run or while running, you leap straight into a dash. Epona may take a bit of time to get up to speed normally, but pushing A a few times gets her moving faster more quickly... but once at her top speed, she stays at the top speed so long as you keep her running.

Heck, there's direct evidence that you won't need to keep actively speeding Epona up, in the form of the one great thing we know about Epona - she'll control herself to free you up to use weapons, etc, smoothly. Hard to do that while being forced to keep actively influencing her speed.

More generally, this "point" basically assumes a lot for no reason... or rather, it assumes a lot purely so that you/they (not clear whether this is your work or copy/pasted) can use it to constuct the argument being put forward. And indeed, at a skim of the rest, I got the same sense from the rest of it.

That's funny, I actually loved WindWaker but so far have no interest in Zelda U.

Einsam_Delphin said:
That's funny, I actually loved WindWaker but so far have no interest in Zelda U.

Oh but you will when they show them grass physics in direct footage and 1080p you'll be like I wanna tip toe through that right now!

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
toot1231 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Oh but you will when they show them grass physics in direct footage and 1080p you'll be like I wanna tip toe through that right now!

More like when they actually show the meat of this game! So far all they've done is emphasis a big world, which is meaningless without stuff to do in it.