By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Phil Harrison doesn't believe Playstation 3 is the future of the industry?

Well, he left. What does this mean? Nothing. His problem was with Sony JAPAN. This is America (And Europe to some extent), maybe people who live in Japan will care, but what does this have to do with us?

Ugh. I hate it when people just post stuff, just because it's negative, and then you're stuck trying to figure out why the flip should you care.

Around the Network

Isn't he working for the same company that brought out the earlier Roller Coaster Tycoons? As sweet as RCT3 was with it's new graphics and the ability to ride the rides, I thought it was overly complicated and I would rather stick to RCT2.

Anyway, that's rather off topic. I wonder what the full story behind his departure is. I would sort of consider Xbox Live and PSN games to be more of a casual thing. However, I would think some full on casual games would help as well. I may like the big guns, but I also like to play some small stuff from time to time.

darthdevidem01 said:
@mesoteto

not only that but most SONY fanboys vision = Killzone 2, MGS4, Res 2, FF13

n Phil Harrison is indirectly saying SONY should not go in that direction, so go figure...

The problem with your statement is that most Sony fanboys are not by far the people that bought the majority of PS2´s. 

DMeisterJ said:
Well, he left. What does this mean? Nothing. His problem was with Sony JAPAN. This is America (And Europe to some extent), maybe people who live in Japan will care, but what does this have to do with us?

Ugh. I hate it when people just post stuff, just because it's negative, and then you're stuck trying to figure out why the flip should you care.

I'd guess because Sony of Japan has main control over PS3 as a whole. Why Sony fanboys should be upset though i don't know. Cleary Harrison wanted a wide market including casuals, while most sony fanboys want nothing but super narrow "hardcore" games with a Final Fantasy game thrown in here or there.

If anything they should be happy that Phil won't keep bugging Sony of Japan to adopt these casual games that he searches out and makes or tries to get.  No more new franchises like Singstar and Buzz.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:

I'm sure a lot of people were surprised when Phil Harrison praised Nintendo at GDC 2008 and basically bashed Sony Japan for simply not getting it and understanding the future of gaming.  Well listening to the comments that have now been made at his first speech as president of Infogrames on why he left Sony it appears that the things that once excited him about the Playstation brand may now be gone.

Here are some of the comments he made on why he left Sony: "the things that excited me the most, the things that turned me on as a gamer, and as a business person, and as a creative person were the future of our industry, the connected community experiences - all the things we're starting to see emerge that are really exciting players around the world."*.  If those are the reasons he's giving for leaving what does that say about Sony?  Especially coming from somewho who was in the position to know just what Sony's future plans are.

Later on he says: "And those are the things I started thinking about in terms of creating a company or getting involved with a company to really shape and direct a business towards that future."*.  Does that mean he didn't think he would be able to direct the Playstation brand to a future that excited him as a gamer, as a creative person?  Statements like these should be alarming to the most dedicated Sony fanboy and hopefully they'll be a wakeup call to the people at Sony Japan that still haven't gotten it.

*Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=93957

why should this upset me as a sony fanboy?

no, youre not going to convince me that my console sucks because phil harrison left. 

Yea he was a great guy, but i stilll have every single great game coming to my system that i expected.

If they do release a lot of casual games, I wont play them anyways, so I don't really care. 

darthdevidem01 said:
@mesoteto

not only that but most SONY fanboys vision = Killzone 2, MGS4, Res 2, FF13

n Phil Harrison is indirectly saying SONY should not go in that direction, so go figure...

The thing is if different games were announced the Sony fanboys would be waiting for those games. Think about it for a second...with the brand loyalty that Sony has the fanboys will look forward to anything their company is backing. If somehow MGS4 and the other games you listed were Wii or 360 exclusives Sony fanboys would suddenly find flaws with the series or developer. Not to just single out the Sony fans either because the same goes for all fanboys.

On topic however, no Sony fan is even listening to him anymore. It's pretty much like an ex-girlfriend or former friend, you won't care what they have to say. 

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

whats he supposed to say? uh yeah i was head of an awesome cutting edge gaming company but yeah I blew it

Goddbless said:

The thing is if different games were announced the Sony fanboys would be waiting for those games. Think about it for a second...with the brand loyalty that Sony has the fanboys will look forward to anything their company is backing. If somehow MGS4 and the other games you listed were Wii or 360 exclusives Sony fanboys would suddenly find flaws with the series or developer. Not to just single out the Sony fans either because the same goes for all fanboys.

On topic however, no Sony fan is even listening to him anymore. It's pretty much like an ex-girlfriend or former friend, you won't care what they have to say. 

I see what you're saying, but those are only extremeist fanboys and there are some of any system.

if mgs 4 went to another system and were cancelled for ps3, fans wouldnt find stuff wrong with it, they would simply buy the other system to play it because the game itself has so many fans, not just the ps3.

for me, for example, im a huge kingdom hearts fan. So, even though i love the ps3, if kingdom hearts 3 comes to the wii instead i will seriously consider buying the wii to play it.

The Clinton campaigned should have picked him up, unless they have enough spindoctors.

Glad he left for greener pastures, and didn't give a fake Katuragi sunshine-and-roses speech.