By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo HDS 2016 or 2017?

Nintendo HDS When?

2016 102 30.72%

2017 230 69.28%

Total:332

so 2016 seens about right

Click HERE and be happy 

Around the Network

HDS? Nice name...
But 2018
Wii 3 2019

Prediction: Nintendo Switch sells 100 million until the end of 2021

Whenever they are, I just hope that both the next console and handheld breakaway from the DS and Wii brand names. Nintendo needs completely new names to avoid the name confusion their hardware this gen caused.

EricFabian said:
Soundwave said:

Anything under 10 million is *horrible* for Nintendo. 

They have not had handheld shipments that low in almost 20 years. The last time their handheld shipments got into that range, Yamauchi greenlit the freaking Virtual Boy (lol) because they needed something else to sell. 

That's not a sustainable number of sales for them to earn the types of profits they want especially not when their console division has also gone to crap. 

People always bring up the GBA-GCN days but even they were clearing 16-20 million GBAs a year + 4+ million GCNs. To ask them to go down to 7.5 million 3DS + maybe 3 million Wii Us ... is a disaster. 

If they can't even hit 10 million this year ... that will be one bitter pill for Iwata and co. to swallow.

Even DS shipped less than 8M, so why is horrible?

Pretty sure 3DS was out by then, 7-8 million is terrible for Nintendo's standards, they haven't had had sub-10 million in handheld shipments since like 1996 I believe and in those days they were selling a lot more consoles. 

Handheld shipments this low + a low selling console is something Nintendo has never dealt with. 

Soundwave said:
EricFabian said:
Soundwave said:

Pretty sure 3DS was out by then, 7-8 million is terrible for Nintendo's standards, they haven't had had sub-10 million in handheld shipments since like 1995 I believe and in those days they were selling a lot more consoles. 

Handheld shipments this low + a low selling console is something Nintendo has never dealt with. 

Mobile/Tablets/etc wasnt presented intill 3DS. Your missing that HUGE Factor^

HHs dont need to be 10mil+ yearly. Vita is making a profit for sony now. Thats a system with under 10mil install base and yet printing money for example.

Its more to do with SW sales anyway. Yes Nintendo hasnt been in this position, so what? They lost alot of money but now things might turn for the better.

Your toooo worried about something that Nintendo cant help. HHs are dying but with Nintendo Full Support and some okay tird party they can stay in the game with a 40mil-60mil install base. As long as they got Pokemon/MK/etc..... Nuff said.

Around the Network

You mean "Nintendo New 3HDSi XL"

Mr Khan said:
Announced this E3, i say, and then released in April 16.

It's big brother console will come Nov 16.

Mr khan...New 3ds/xl will come in NA/EU in 2015 and nintendo will announce a new handheld at e32015?oh my gosh...:P

tbone51 said:
Soundwave said:
EricFabian said:
Soundwave said:

Pretty sure 3DS was out by then, 7-8 million is terrible for Nintendo's standards, they haven't had had sub-10 million in handheld shipments since like 1995 I believe and in those days they were selling a lot more consoles. 

Mobile/Tablets/etc wasnt presented intill 3DS. Your missing that HUGE Factor^

HHs dont need to be 10mil+ yearly. Vita is making a profit for sony now. Thats a system with under 10mil install base and yet printing money for example.

Its more to do with SW sales anyway. Yes Nintendo hasnt been in this position, so what? They lost alot of money but now things might turn for the better.

Your toooo worried about something that Nintendo cant help. HHs are dying but with Nintendo Full Support and some okay tird party they can stay in the game with a 40mil-60mil install base. As long as they got Pokemon/MK/etc..... Nuff said.

That's why the new handheld will be out sooner than later. They are not going to just sit there and watch the 3DS dwindle to like 5 million sales before doing something. 

I've said it before too both the 3DS and Wii U launched a year too late and it cost them tremendously. 

tbone51 said:
teigaga said:
the_dengle said:

2016 would be a terrible move.

Why so?

Terrible is a strong word..

Waiting til your system is literally not selling is quite a bad move and 3DS is down YOY everywhere I believe and software is drying up, theres no reason why the in 2 years time it will still be selling like hotcakes. Introduce a successor a few years into its decline seems the smarter move, as opposed to releasing it after the system is dead.

Just cuz its yoy down from last year  doesn't mean it will heavily decline again from this year to the next (2014⇒2015). 3DS first 3 years were all 12mil-14mil sold. This year it should be around 7.5mil-9mil sold (currently around 6.2mil). Thats not bad for 4th year and 5th year N3DS should keep the decline to a minimum. I say 7mil-7.5mil 3DS will be sold in 2015. It might even be up....

As for SW drying up... Really? SSB 3DS+ORAS say hello. Next year could have many million sellers as well. There's still Software to come in 2015

And then in 2016? 4-5, Thats sounds like the perfect time for a successor in my eyes.

Software is drying up doesn't mean there aren't big releases, just they're far less frequent. In west the 2 titles you mention and tamogochi life are the only big releases this year (that come to mind). Next year the only thing confirmed is a remake and monster hunter for the west. We'll see how things progress but I stand by that statement, 2014's software line up was a shadow of 2013s and 2015 will probs be worse.

teigaga said:
tbone51 said:
teigaga said:
the_dengle said:

2016 would be a terrible move.

Why so?

Terrible is a strong word..

Waiting til your system is literally not selling is quite a bad move and 3DS is down YOY everywhere I believe and software is drying up, theres no reason why the in 2 years time it will still be selling like hotcakes. Introduce a successor a few years into its decline seems the smarter move, as opposed to releasing it after the system is dead.

Just cuz its yoy down from last year  doesn't mean it will heavily decline again from this year to the next (2014⇒2015). 3DS first 3 years were all 12mil-14mil sold. This year it should be around 7.5mil-9mil sold (currently around 6.2mil). Thats not bad for 4th year and 5th year N3DS should keep the decline to a minimum. I say 7mil-7.5mil 3DS will be sold in 2015. It might even be up....

As for SW drying up... Really? SSB 3DS+ORAS say hello. Next year could have many million sellers as well. There's still Software to come in 2015

And then in 2016? 4-5, Thats sounds like the perfect time for a successor in my eyes.

Software is drying up doesn't mean there aren't big releases, just they're far less frequent. In west the 2 titles you mention and tamogochi life are the only big releases this year (that come to mind). Next year the only thing confirmed is a remake and monster hunter for the west. We'll see how things progress but I stand by that statement, 2014's software line up was a shadow of 2013s and 2015 will probs be worse.

Friggin' Tomodachi Life.

Sorry, pet peeve.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.