By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 dominance will bring back The third party exclusives ?

Ps2 era exclusive games from third party were common, and with The ps3 and Xbox 360 multiplat became The norm and there were almost no third party exclusives, with few excepetions and probably loads of money to buy them.

With this gen will third party exclusives, that werent bought by manufcaturers, be common again?

Around the Network

No, but it will certainly keep the price tag very high for micro to get third-party exclusives.

Thanks jlmurph!

Small, niche, games sure.. but triple AAA.. No... with the increased production costs its unlikely 1 console will be able to deliver the return on investment.... just look at the numbers SE expected for games like Tomb Raider

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Likely but not PS2 like but better then any other console but that sales monster.

I think games becoming exclusive because of a console outselling the other by quite a margin is something of the past. You'd seriously need to have something like a 5:1 ratio and even then I think 3rd party games will still release on the worse selling platform. You might see some smaller titles such as Hellblade release as timed exclusive, but bigger titles will need to be bought.

Around the Network

Frankly I doubt it, unless Sony is willing to pony up serious cash for exclusives, I just don't see it anymore. And I'm ok with that, honestly. It also means the reverse is true, esp. with Sony doing as well as it is currently. Microsoft would have to pony up a substantial pile of cash to gain exclusivity, and even then, it'll likely be timed exclusive as most companies just don't want to cut out that big of a slice of the consumer pie. Which, in turn, allows Sony to force those devs to provide polish and content, before letting them publish on the PS4.

No but there will be more exclusives from AAA devolper for the PS4.

Certainly will on smaller indie games, weve already seen it, Not a chance on AAA games, in fact you will probably see MS buy more AAA exclusives or timed exclusives, than big devs just choosing to concentrate on ps4's bigger user base.

Maybe a few, but Sony would have a hand in the dev and claim IP rights for true exlusives (Bloodbourne) or write a fat check for timed exclusive or exclusive content (Destiny, Sony doesnt bother with timed like MS).

At the end of the day, MS and Sony are going to be relying on first parties for most exclusives and 3rd party relationships for anything extra. Nothing will come easy anymore without a 5:1 ratio as someone has already stated.

It does however make it harder for MS to make deals themselves, but we have all seen it can still be done.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Japanese third party, for sure (namco, atlus, nippon-ichi, koei, and lot of others).

Occidental third party, i doubt so, they need to be on Pc and Xbox to sell enough.