By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Uk has adopted Black Friday!

The Fury said:
platformmaster918 said:
The Fury said:
Here's one thing I've noticed, other than Amazon as they have the money, a few website broken because of demand from these sales. All started by Amazon too. My company deals with big onsales all the time and we have a system designed to cope with the huge amount of people hitting the website at once in a small period. None of these websites were and all failed meaning people just wanting to search or buy normal things that weren't for these bargain hunting weird people can't. Boxing day sales aren't like that.

... Idiots.

sounds like the company's fault then.  They should anticipate this higher volume

That's the thing, they haven't. Betting online shops go through the sudden high volume near big events, massively near Grand National and can cope with it. However they spend the money to cope with it. Argos is just sitting there turning over income with no real big 'hit' so they don't bother spending the money to cope with sudden high demand.

It's a catch 22 (I think I'm using this right) where by if they spend the money to cope for the very few times a year they may be down due to high demand they may be wasting money in the periods they aren't yet if they don't spend the money, they go down at peak times costing them money.

some sort of third party arrangement could potentially be sorted out for a sort of "renting" of digital backbone for a week or so?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

seems British people have no problem adopting american culture, i would resist having foreign culture being adopted in my country

Hopefully the rest of Europe will adopt BF as well!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Let's bope the madness doesn't spread further.

AZWification said:

No, that's a terrible idea

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
AZWification said:

But why? :/

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
WolfpackN64 said:
AZWification said:

But why? :/

Shops are already discounting at their own leasure. We don't need some consumer culture created arround it with people trampling over each other to get the best deals.

All countries should be doing it.