By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon can be so much more.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Player2 said:

So basically change the combat system to the one of a niche genre and waste tons of money to turn up to eleven the non-gaming content in the game.

As though pokemon spinoffs do not exist...

The costs to make a game of this scope is way above any pokemon spinoff made.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
XanderXT said:
You know how much that cost? It would cost more than GTA V! That game had budgets that would put to shame most movies! Nintendo's budgets on games would be equivalent to most comedy movies. Even if they made this game, what if it flops? HUGE LOSSES FOR NINTENDO OF COURSE!

Actually, I bet those huge losses could be covered by a mainline normal handheld pokemon game releasing at the same time.

I don't think even that will cover up the expenses.

teigaga said:
XanderXT said:
You know how much that cost? It would cost more than GTA V! That game had budgets that would put to shame most movies! Nintendo's budgets on games would be equivalent to most comedy movies. Even if they made this game, what if it flops? HUGE LOSSES FOR NINTENDO OF COURSE!

I really don't see where these imaginary costs would be coming from to make it more then GTA V? The game would comparable to any other open world game filled with distinct locations, NPC and Monsters. Infact the more simplistic artsyle will make it far easier then those comparable games. The only thing they'd need to be wary of is how many pokemon to include, instead of having all gens they would have to  opt for a select 250 Pokemon. And lets be honest, modelling and animating the likes of pickachu, squirtle and  geodude isn't exactly gonna be as tasking as creature set in a realistic fantasy world.  Also if you look at something like GTA huge expensive go into the cinematics, presumably this game wouldn't be too heavy on that.

It would be a huge undertaking no doubt, but not impossibly expensive. They could make their money of course, just not on a tiny userbase like the Wii U. I imagine they'd need to sell 4m upwards for such a title to break even (assuming they go all out on the visuals like the pokemon battle revolution teaser trailer)

4 million? New Super Mario Bros. U hasn't even reached 4 million, and it's the best selling Wii U game.

Player2 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Player2 said:

So basically change the combat system to the one of a niche genre and waste tons of money to turn up to eleven the non-gaming content in the game.

As though pokemon spinoffs do not exist...

The cost would primarily consist of the creation of new animations. Which price would depend on the target system. Depending on hows its done it doesn't have to be that much more expensive especially if they use an existing engine. A greater problem is that they don't have 3D pokemons on the scope of the gamecube games on the Wii or Wii U.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Player2 said:

The cost would primarily consist of the creation of new animations. Which price would depend on the target system. Depending on hows its done it doesn't have to be that much more expensive especially if they use an existing engine. A greater problem is that they don't have 3D pokemons on the scope of the gamecube games on the Wii or Wii U.

Nope.A world this big at the desired level of detail will.

"That open world Pokemon game, where you're participating in real time hack and slash, almost Devil May Cry-meets-Legend of Zelda-like combat. Using the Pokemon you caught and trained with the moved you specifically costomized and chose to get the best results in your matches, you adventure through this Pokemon world as you've never seen it before. Climbing mountains. Sailing oceans. Flying unmanned skies. Being hoisted by the strings of an epic campaign with an epic score and epic boss battles until you've finally beaten this epic of a game. Traveling the land, you meet a mixture of both NPC trainers and real ones alike, all in the same world, much like how Destiny does it."

Pokemon had mountains, oceans and skies before. The difference? As you've never seen before = expensive.

Around the Network

The games can improve on a lot! But what you want is not Pokemon. It's a completely different game.

Wright said:

If the next installment suddenly had only planes for "more dynamic races" and it's called Mario: Let's go Fly Together, no one would be pissed. Heck, people would go and purchase it. Death is an integral part of life. Pokemon developer once planned to have pokemon dying, only to switch it to "faint" because he was afraid kids could associate losing with death. We're beyond that point nowadays, time to make an step forward.

The lenghts I propose are simply changes. You don't find sense in them because, again, you don't entertain the idea. But that doesn't extrapolate to real results. You claim that it is absurd as saying Zelda should be a military FPS, but people can find as equally absurd as depriving Pokémon from its RPG structure and make combat a real time hack and slash, almost Devil May Cry-meets-Legend of Zelda-like affair. Why do you think yours have substance and mine doesn't? Heck, I would even be respecting the original source even better than your idea by keeping the traditional RPG structure. You're the one propossing something as Zelda being military FPS.

It's not "Pokemon with no Pokemon". It's a Pokemon game. It has Pokemons. You can "catch them all". The ones surviving. That dark twist would be a welcome adition. It would be an interesting and daring move from the franchise, and I assure, it would sell units, based on the name alone. Call it "Pokemon Dark Days" or whatever you want.

Advance Wars was built around warfare; but trust me: the games were very happy-go-lucky. That completely changed in Days of Ruin, and I reiterate: no one complained about the change. It sold almost the same as the other entries.

If it was called Mario: Let's go fly with planes, then it wouldn't be a Mario Kart game. What you're proposing is Pokemon: Less Pokemon, which would make it objectively not a Pokemon game. Changing the structure of it's combat doesn't change the core elements of the franchise. You're still a Pokemon trainer with a team of six Pokemon battling for whatever story reason. As long as you have the 18 types, and the complex arangement of attacks, it doesn't matter how those moves are portrayed. That's why Pokken Fighters works as a game. That's why Pokken Fighters is so anticipated. By stark contrast, giving Link a machine gun completely changes the world he's in, the way he interacts with enemies, and the way the lore of the series is percieved to something that is not at all Zelda anymore.

You aren't "catching them all." You're "catching half." That's not what Pokemon is. It would be a critically hated subtraction, and no one who understands the basics of the Pokemon franchise would ever suggest anything like it, because it goes completely against what the franchise is. Pokemon Dark Days can work, but it wouldn't be a game with less Pokemon. It would be a game with dark days. A darker Pokemon game would work. A reductive Pokemon game would not. Less options would not.

It doesn't matter if the Advance Wars games are happy go lucky. That's not what I'm criticizing. Advance Wars is a series where the permanent loss of a character wouldn't change the entire franchise. If one singular Pokemon dies in a Pokemon game, no one would be pissed. If a million Pokemon die in a Pokemon game, no one would be pissed. If 360+ entire species of Pokemon were sudden retconned out of existence for any reason at all, literally every single Pokemon fan would be enraged. I'm trying to be polite, but that is the exact opposite of sense with a game like Pokemon. 

Lucas-Rio said:
So much more?

I don't think. Pokemon is a strategic game and the current product is near perfect. It has a nice, colorful, friendly , fun envelopp over its deeply strategic cores.

People talking about MMO are deluded. Pokemon concept wouldn't work in MMO or in any other kind of games.

I never said I wanted a Pokemon MMO. Destiny isn't an MMO. Watch Dogs isn't an MMO. Dark Souls isn't an MMO. Journey isn't an MMO. Just because a game allows for moments where the world is shared, doesn't mean that it's suddenly an MMO. I hate MMOs. People who talk about a Pokemon MMO are deluded. The game I described is still a strategic game. Hack and Slash games are strategic. So are fighting games. They are just more involved and frankly more fun than turn based games.

Player2 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Player2 said:

Nope.A world this big at the desired level of detail will.

"That open world Pokemon game, where you're participating in real time hack and slash, almost Devil May Cry-meets-Legend of Zelda-like combat. Using the Pokemon you caught and trained with the moved you specifically costomized and chose to get the best results in your matches, you adventure through this Pokemon world as you've never seen it before. Climbing mountains. Sailing oceans. Flying unmanned skies. Being hoisted by the strings of an epic campaign with an epic score and epic boss battles until you've finally beaten this epic of a game. Traveling the land, you meet a mixture of both NPC trainers and real ones alike, all in the same world, much like how Destiny does it."

Pokemon had mountains, oceans and skies before. The difference? As you've never seen before = expensive.

Look, I actually know the costs that go into video game development, not budget which includes stuff like marketting, distribution, and server fees, asset creation is the most expensive of what goes into actually making the game.

Climbing mountains, sailing oceans, flying unmanned skies are all different ways of saying traverssing a map. It incoporates modelling of terrain, textures, creating physics and lighting effects etc. However, that is nothing compared to making hundreds of animations for thousands of models. There is a reason  COD has 100s of modelers at one time on it. Those modellers cost a lot of money.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Smear-Gel said:
Eh, the "open world pokemon of all regions/pokemon mmo" idea is asked all the time and always dumb for reasons I cant go into now but will when I get on a better computer.

I never said all regions and I never said MMO. Pokemon is already open world, so I really don't see much to "go into."