By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yahoo: Pokemon is killing Nintendo because its selling too well

I just can't understand why it's only Nintendo the one mentioned in these type of articles.
Why not mention Sony due to their financial situation? Why not ask EA, Activision and Ubisoft to release their top games (same versions as the home console ones) on mobile?
In every case, tons of money to be made. And 3rd parties have no problems with HW, because they only make software.

Although he is right, there's Money to be made in the mobile market, just not on the expense of the home console market.
Nintendo should expand their business, not exchange markets.

I still see a possibility of Nintendo coming up with a 3rd pillar: a tablet that allows to play all mobile games + VC games exclusive to the tablet + exclusive games like a Super Mario Bros 4 (NES style) exclusive to the tablet but also on the Nintendo consoles.

Around the Network
vkaraujo said:
On a side note: Who the hell owns the IP?

For what i know Pokemon is owned by Nintendo, GameFreak, and Creatures INC.
That said, Nintendo is the majority stockholder on both GameFreak and Creatures, meaning Nintendo in fact does own the IP, just not directly.

Is that info wrong?

I think they themselves own the majority of the series.

NoirSon said:
ICStats said:
HyrulianScrolls said:
Why wouldn't Nintendo want to enter a medium where Apple utterly and unequivocally dominates so they could be an even bigger underdog than they are in the home console market? Gee, I can't imagine why. This article is so laughably stupid. The portable gaming market is still printing money for Nintendo this gen, why throw that all away for something that would be a huge risk? Especially since most Nintendo fans have made it clear they have no interest in dumbed down "tap-tap-tap" mobile versions of their great IPs.

It's talking about Nintendo putting their games on the App Store so I'm not sure what you're talking about.  Apple doesn't dominate the App Store; they sell tons of iPhones so that there's a bigger market for App Store apps to sell.

Most games wouldn't work that well on touch screen, but Pokemon would work well I'd guess.

I am guessing HyrulianScrolls might be referring to the fact that many analysts seem to overlook Nintendo by releasing on the iPad would be going from having no oversight other then their own to a market firmly controlled by Apple. A position they haven't been in for a while and one probably based on how they have acted in the past as well as having to share profits or reduce prices to compete in that market they wouldn't necessarily want.

The article is just another example of how many so called experts really don't know jack squat about business or then seeing dollar figures.

Sure, it just depends on how much they gain from controlling the ecosystem.  At this time, being platform holders is not necessarily working for Nintendo.

I know it won't be popular here, but my opinion is Nintendo could do better if they sowed a few of their IPs on 3rd party consoles and mobile this generation.

In terms of mobile, the userbases are over 1 Billion and willo be 2 Billion active users before long.  Something like free-to-play pokemon with in game purchase for additional Pokemon could make a lot of money, and they can advertize their 3DS & Wii U and upcoming games through that.

On console, Wii U has a 24.7% market share after 1 year of competitors; by next year it might be a 15% share.  Nintendo is the best game bublisher, their games are consistently great, and the only thing limiting their sales this generation is userbase.  Being an exclusive platform holder in Gen 8 is not necessarily the best strategy, if they're struggling (which they are) to sell the Wii U more competitively.

My 8th gen collection

I SERIOUSLY thought this was a troll article of some kind. I went over to check the actual page to see if the OP messed around with some of the things said in the article. But to my utter disbelief this is exactly what the author said.

My mind is simply blown by what I just read. This person actually wants Nintendo to develop their games on mobile so that they can shove micro transactions up out backsides. You know what, this has to be a troll. I just don't believe it.

Sounds like a biased article written by someone who is mad that Pokemon is still successful after all these years

Around the Network
vkaraujo said:
On a side note: Who the hell owns the IP?

For what i know Pokemon is owned by Nintendo, GameFreak, and Creatures INC.
That said, Nintendo is the majority stockholder on both GameFreak and Creatures, meaning Nintendo in fact does own the IP, just not directly.

Is that info wrong?

The Pokemon Company was established in early 2000 to handle the licensing ventures of the Pokemon brand (animation, trading card, apparel, etc.).

Three companies essentially formed this entity: Creatures, GameFreak and Nintendo - each owning a specific percentage (33, 33 and 32 percent respectively).

Nintendo hold the trademarks & copyrights related to the brand, and also the publishing duties.

Nevertheless, The Pokemon Company acts as a seperate entity from Nintendo. Their moto: to produce Pokemon and extend its reach; hence, their ability to publish on IOS.

GameFreak is independent. Creatures on the other hand, is the successor of Ape Inc. (owned by Nintendo), Mother series developpers.

Much like Hal Laboratory & Intelligent Systems, Creatures had capital injection from Nintendo.  In essence, Creatures is a seperate entity from Nintendo, but has ties to them. They have an ownership in Creatures; however, the percentage is small orelse it would be mentioned in Nintendo's IR reports.

UltimateUnknown said:
I SERIOUSLY thought this was a troll article of some kind. I went over to check the actual page to see if the OP messed around with some of the things said in the article. But to my utter disbelief this is exactly what the author said.

My mind is simply blown by what I just read. This person actually wants Nintendo to develop their games on mobile so that they can shove micro transactions up out backsides. You know what, this has to be a troll. I just don't believe it.

Why would I ever do that? I've made hundreads of threads and I've never done that or been accused of doing that before...

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Wow..this article is...reaaally bad...

MoHasanie said:
UltimateUnknown said:

Why would I ever do that? I've made hundreads of threads and I've never done that or been accused of doing that before...

No I'm not blaming you. The article itself was just so mind bendingly unbelievable that it was the only conclusion I could reach to justify the situation in my own head. I still can't believe what I read...

UltimateUnknown said:
MoHasanie said:
UltimateUnknown said:

No I'm not blaming you. The article itself was just so mind bendingly unbelievable that it was the only conclusion I could reach to justify the situation in my own head. I still can't believe what I read...

Oh right, haha, yeah that's why I posted it. Its not an opinion piece, its an actual news article which I just couldn't believe. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54