By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Police release full video of shooting of Ohio boy, 12

NightDragon83 said:

So if the authorites in a country where personal firearms are either prohibited or heavily restricted received a call that a young kid was brandishing one in public and appeared to be pointing it and waving it around at others in a threatening manner, they wouldn't have taken the report as seriously as officers in the US do?

You would think that authorities in other countries with restricted gun ownership would view it as an even bigger threat because the youth in question must've been up to some serious criminal activity if he was able to get his hands on a gun in the first place in one of those countries.

No, but I'd imagine that the initial response would be a tad less aggressive.  That is, of course, an opinion (nothing I've fully researched or anything),  But, it'd make sense, don't you think?

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Facts are still a bit scant, so there might have been overreaction by the cops. But really, this kid may qualify for the Darwin Awards if he did indeed pull what to all intents and purposes looked to be a firearm on the cops.

Regardless of the circumstances that is a truly horrible thing to suggest. This is a child who made a stupid mistake while his parents weren't watching, not an idiot who killed themselves in a stupid, comical way by ignoring common sense. How many children go around thinking they are going to get shot and killed. 

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Wow those cops actually deserve to be charged with murder.

the_dengle said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
lol @ that pic. "stop police terror".

I'd be more concerned about how his parents could allow him to have that gun, or why they raised him in an environment where he thought brandishing a fake gun and trying to intimidate people with it seemed like a cool thing to do.

I guess it's the fault of the cops though.

Depends on what really happened, which we'll probably never know for sure. But if a few cops with their guns trained on a kid told him to put his hands up and he reached for his toy gun instead (as they say happened), I'd say he won himself a Darwin Award.

It's easy to doubt that story though. He was old enough to know better.

See above, saying a child won a Darwin Award is disgusting.

You don't know anything about this kid and yet you think he's old enough to know better? Kids are stupid, clearly he was goofing off in the wrong place at the wrong time, doesn't mean he won a Darwin Award, its not like children will be born smarter cause a kid died making a stupid mistake. have some empathy.

Also there is nothing to doubt, the vids are all right there.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

It sucks someone so young died like this. It is tragic. However,doing what he did by pointing it at bystanders and then not listening to police and reaching for his toy gun,what did he or others think was going to happen?

If the gun WAS real, were the cops supposed to just stand there and let him shoot them in fear of public outcry of what might happen if they have to shoot him?

From the video, it looks justifiable,but due to the michael brown stuff and all the evidence that people ignored with that case, im sure people will not see anything but the actual shooting and not the kid pointing the toy gun at people or the officers themselves and will just jump to the ''omg police are the devil''

I feel the law will have to make an example out of the cop who shot this kid after the aftermath of Michael Brown. If they don't do anything and let this cop go(even though its justified imo), then we'll see ferguson in cleveland and more people burning down their own cities

It's a shame any and all of this is even happening at the end of the day

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
Serious_frusting said:
On in America. If they didn't have such stupid gun laws then the police and general public wouldn't be going around terrorising kids with toy guns. kmt

Um, what exactly do America's gun laws have to do with 12 year olds carrying around "toy" guns that are basically replicas of the real thing... and waving them around in public terrorizong OTHERS to the point that someone felt the need to call the cops in the first place??

In a country where gun ownership is more tightly controlled no one, and I mean no one, would have as their first thought that a kid waving around what looks like a gun is actually a real gun. Much less call the police all panicked about the possibility that a kid on the street is threatening people with a real gun. And the cops would not be reaching for their guns as their first choice option.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
binary solo said:
Facts are still a bit scant, so there might have been overreaction by the cops. But really, this kid may qualify for the Darwin Awards if he did indeed pull what to all intents and purposes looked to be a firearm on the cops.

Regardless of the circumstances that is a truly horrible thing to suggest. This is a child who made a stupid mistake while his parents weren't watching, not an idiot who killed themselves in a stupid, comical way by ignoring common sense. How many children go around thinking they are going to get shot and killed. 

You think the circumstances of anyone's death is comical? That's truly horrible. I take the Darwin Awards seriously. Every Darwin Awardee's death is a sad tragedy, but from an evolutionary perspective their deaths benefit the species because they were prevented from procreating. I am all for preventing dangerously stupid, violent, sociopathic people from breeding; though I'd prefer it didn't happen by their deaths. Sometimes I think being required to have a licence to breed is a damned fine idea.

This wasn't comical, but it was stupid and ignoring common sense. Common sense says you do not wave something that looks exactly like a real gun at a cop, and to do so is stupid in the extreme. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Tachikoma said:

doesnt really matter, in america, when a cop kills someone, the only part people care about is the skin color of the person killed, the reasons they were shot are completely ignored.

Victims always painted as a perfect little faultless cherub loved by the community.

Nobody steps forward to say differently because they know, damn well, that their argument, no matter how compelling, will be ignored under the piss poor excuse of them simply being "racist".

This post is so full of shit it's unbelievable.

Jimi Hendrix

the cops parked right next to him and gunned him down while exiting the car ..

that looks more like a hollywood movie kind of behavior than that of trained officers in my opinion

binary solo said:
Tachikoma said:

doesnt really matter, in america, when a cop kills someone, the only part people care about is the skin color of the person killed, the reasons they were shot are completely ignored.

Victims always painted as a perfect little faultless cherub loved by the community.

Nobody steps forward to say differently because they know, damn well, that their argument, no matter how compelling, will be ignored under the piss poor excuse of them simply being "racist".

This post is so full of shit it's unbelievable.

Really now, is it?

All i see on the news / across social media is "omg cops think its open season on black people".