By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Watch Dogs Wii U

fluky-nintendy said:
Besides the under-utilization of the gamepad, no rocks thrown at Ubi this time. They did what they could to put it on an underpowered console, don't know who's expecting PS4/XB1 quality third party on wiiU, but never go there expecting that.

what underpowered console?

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
fluky-nintendy said:
Besides the under-utilization of the gamepad, no rocks thrown at Ubi this time. They did what they could to put it on an underpowered console, don't know who's expecting PS4/XB1 quality third party on wiiU, but never go there expecting that.

what underpowered console

WiiU of course. When compared to PS4/XB1 that is, not PS360

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
phaedruss said:
JEMC said:
phaedruss said:

What a load of BS wii u owners won't buy it in general simply because it's not a Nintendo game. You think that the average wii u owner reads digital foundry?

Just as many as PS4/X1 owners.

We are the minority, not the average user.

That's what I'm saying. Thank you.

Not really.

While I agree that WiiU owners mustly only buy Nintendo games, it is not because they see Nintendo on it but rather because they know what that means: a quality and also fun game that is usually cheaper than a new game from other publishers. That's why they choose them over the other options.

And there's also the fact that the demography of WiiU owners and PS4/X1 owners is not the same one, and that shows in the sales of the games.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

walsufnir said:

Seriously, Ubi should've just cancelled the game. It's underperforming, lacking polish and all that most probably due to major cuts and management decisions for this version.

It is kind of sad that Ubisoft can't make a game for anything more than a PC these days i.e the xbox one and ps4 have very similar architecture to a pc. Is it Nintendo's fault for making an actual console, or is it Ubisofts fault for not making a game to suit the last actual console?

Good grief. And that, after an extra 6 months? They may as well not have bothered...

Around the Network
Cream147 said:
phaedruss said:
Cream147 said:
And here's the thing for Ubisoft - you can get away with diabolical games on other platforms. Look at how much Assassin's Creed: Rogue has sold, despite all the bad press it has got. But Nintendo fans in general, simply aren't going to take it. We notice when you spit in our face. On Wii U, you're competing with the best developer, and to compete with the best, you've got to be the best. Ubisoft, EA, Activision, these companies simply don't know how to produce real quality.

Why would anyone buy a game that's 6 month delayed, has last gen graphics, terrible framerate, little use of unique hardware features, and by most accounts wasn't a very good game to begin with. Thanks Ubisoft, but I think I'll just go with Smash.

What a load of BS wii u owners won't buy it in general simply because it's not a Nintendo game. You think that the average wii u owner reads digital foundry?

Not specifically Digital Foundry no, but do I think in general Wii U owners do better research about games before they buy them - absolutely.

Of course Wii U owners have a bias towards Nintendo games. You don't buy a Nintendo console to play third party, do you. Nevertheless, I'm convinced that if a third party took the effort to put out a decent game on the console it would sell - not as much as Nintendo games, but 10-100 times better than what Watch Dogs Wii U will sell. I would certainly buy such a game.

Not only that, but a lot of Wii U owners tend to also own a console from Sony and/or MS. If the game has been sitting in bargain bins elsewhere for months now and has long been exposed as an overhyped, mediocre Assassin's Creed clone, what audience is left?

Hedra42 said:
Good grief. And that, after an extra 6 months? They may as well not have bothered...

there was no extra 6 months

Materia-Blade said:
Hedra42 said:

there was no extra 6 months

Oh yeah, my bad, it was an extra year.

Original release for all platforms including Wii U scheduled - Nov 2013 as reported Here

Every other platform delayed 6 months - May 2014

Wii U delayed a further 6 months - Nov 2014.

Sure, they may have paused the Wii u development for a while to at least get the rest out by May, but still, they took extra time, citing that they wanted to get it done right as the reason.

Cream147 said:
phaedruss said:
Cream147 said:
And here's the thing for Ubisoft - you can get away with diabolical games on other platforms. Look at how much Assassin's Creed: Rogue has sold, despite all the bad press it has got. But Nintendo fans in general, simply aren't going to take it. We notice when you spit in our face. On Wii U, you're competing with the best developer, and to compete with the best, you've got to be the best. Ubisoft, EA, Activision, these companies simply don't know how to produce real quality.

Why would anyone buy a game that's 6 month delayed, has last gen graphics, terrible framerate, little use of unique hardware features, and by most accounts wasn't a very good game to begin with. Thanks Ubisoft, but I think I'll just go with Smash.

Not specifically Digital Foundry no, but do I think in general Wii U owners do better research about games before they buy them - absolutely.

Of course Wii U owners have a bias towards Nintendo games. You don't buy a Nintendo console to play third party, do you. Nevertheless, I'm convinced that if a third party took the effort to put out a decent game on the console it would sell - not as much as Nintendo games, but 10-100 times better than what Watch Dogs Wii U will sell. I would certainly buy such a game.

Ah ok, and did you buy Wonderful 101 then?

Materia-Blade said:
fluky-nintendy said:

what underpowered console?

He probably meant all the consoles seince they are all 'underpowered' this gen.  Those CPUs are going to be a major hitch for open-world games going forward.  

Anyway, I was expecting worse, but this is still bad.  AAA third party mature games on Wii U seem to have gone out on a whimper, not a bang.