By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Not Expecting PS4's Profit Margins to Be As High as PS2

RolStoppable said:
I don't understand this. Why would a shift to more digital sales reduce the amount of money Sony gets from third parties? After all, a digital copy usually costs just as much as a retail copy, so third parties can already keep the retailer margin to themselves; why would the royalty rates be smaller then?

they said nothing of royalty rate but rather margins.   the costs of digital is quite high.  it takes a lot of lawyers to keep geohot from buying a ps4 and a lot of network engineers to combat lizardsquad's DoS attack of psn every other day.

Around the Network
chocoloco said:

The Xone is still out performing the x360. The xone is a major competitor to the ps4 for now.

But even after a veritable fire sale it's still falling behind PS4 every week. It's competition, yes, but I certainly wouldn't call it strong competition. There's pretty much nothing MS can do to win this gen at this point, they are locked into second place.

curl-6 said:
chocoloco said:

The Xone is still out performing the x360. The xone is a major competitor to the ps4 for now.

Yes, but even after a veritable fire sale it's still falling behind PS4 every week. It's competition, yes, but I certainly wouldn't call it strong competition. There's pretty much nothing MS can do to win this gen at this point, they are locked into second place.

exactly. Xbox threw the kitchen sink at PS4 many times this year and what's the end result gonna be? A slaughter WW. PS4 WW for November so far beat X1 and that's despite as you say, the MS fire sale. 

I'm usually pesimistic for the PS as a fan of it but lets be honest the PS4's biggest competition is itself. It's PS4's to lose and I see the gap widening rather than shrinking. 

Also historically Xbox excells for Xmas way more than the rest of the year where as Playstation is the evergreen product. Remember all those years where the 360 took Q4 WW but the gap was erased and then some by the PS3 for Q1,2 and 3. Now we have a situation where PS4 will outsell it 3:1 for Q1, 2 & 3 but as Xmas it will only outsell it maybe 2:1 or 1.5:1. 

And next year some big 3rd party titles like FF and MGS will have a huge effect on the PS4 but not on the X1. Plus Sony has it' sown first parties to counter act MS's. I really see no way they can halt the momentum. 

curl-6 said:
iTechHeads said:
 They also have some tough competition and not just from Microsoft, 

I'd hardly call Xbox One "tough competition". Sony won this generation pretty much by default after MS and Ninty shot themselves in the foot too badly to pose a threat.

YEa MS's PR should have already known this was a bad Idea. I didn't have a issue but then I'm not the Majority of the people.  I'm not sure how they could have not seen this coming, I would have been running many poll tests with the public before releasing something so Confrontational. How many controllers did they make and poll test? This should have been routine. So that is exactly what they did, They shot them selfs in the foot, specifically with Europe.  I'm xbox fan and I couldn't believe how bad that they blew it.

However Phil Spencer is a gamer, he gets it and they should have listened to him from the start. I bet he was the Naysayer in the discussions leading up to the release. So I'm glad the right man got the job....

@ OP This is smart business right here.  Not counting your chickens until they hatch, I'm sure their growth will be higher but in the long run being conservative I think is key.

Kerotan said:
curl-6 said:
chocoloco said:

Yes, but even after a veritable fire sale it's still falling behind PS4 every week. It's competition, yes, but I certainly wouldn't call it strong competition. There's pretty much nothing MS can do to win this gen at this point, they are locked into second place.

exactly. Xbox threw the kitchen sink at PS4 many times this year and what's the end result gonna be? A slaughter WW. PS4 WW for November so far beat X1 and that's despite as you say, the MS fire sale. 

I'm usually pesimistic for the PS as a fan of it but lets be honest the PS4's biggest competition is itself. It's PS4's to lose and I see the gap widening rather than shrinking. 

Also historically Xbox excells for Xmas way more than the rest of the year where as Playstation is the evergreen product. Remember all those years where the 360 took Q4 WW but the gap was erased and then some by the PS3 for Q1,2 and 3. Now we have a situation where PS4 will outsell it 3:1 for Q1, 2 & 3 but as Xmas it will only outsell it maybe 2:1 or 1.5:1. 

And next year some big 3rd party titles like FF and MGS will have a huge effect on the PS4 but not on the X1. Plus Sony has it' sown first parties to counter act MS's. I really see no way they can halt the momentum. 

I mostly agree with your post. Just had to focus on how horribly the Wii U was doing compared to even the X1 because that guy was trying to put the Wii U and X1 in the same category when they are not. The X1 is selling okay in some regions while the Wii U is not really selling well anywhere. The poster I originally quoted is very Nintendo only biased so I felt his point of view made no sense. It basically says Sony won a console war sales lottery by doing nothing and has no competition because everyone else fucked up. When in reality the Wii U did the most failing. The X1 cannot be said to be totally failing, even though I think it will never come close to the sales of the PS4.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
HollyGamer said:
Mr Puggsly said:
=

Its semantics because we're just debating what "strong competition" is. The X1 having a significant impact on potential PS4 sales makes it a strong competitior. The Wii U having little impact on PS4 sales makes it a weak competitor.

I wouldn't call that strong, heck even many people dont call that a competition, but if  this about PS3 and Xbox 360 then i agree. Both Xbox One and Wii U is under the same categories while Wii U is more behind Xbox and dont have any intetion to compete, while Xbox is at least trying there best with everything they got.

Again, semantics.

Anyhow, I'd argue MS wasn't a stronger competitor that generation. Sony just made huge mistakes with PS3 like price.

wrong. The PS1 took a huge chunk of the audience the N64 was targeting. Now I do kinda agree partially, the PS1 expanded the gaming market where Nindendo could not (notably Europe), but particullary in Japan the PS1 took the audience Nintendo thought that would have with the N64.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Pff, FUCK SONY, PS4 will outsell PS2 !!!

bigjon said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Again, semantics.

Anyhow, I'd argue MS wasn't a stronger competitor that generation. Sony just made huge mistakes with PS3 like price.

wrong. The PS1 took a huge chunk of the audience the N64 was targeting. Now I do kinda agree partially, the PS1 expanded the gaming market where Nindendo could not (notably Europe), but particullary in Japan the PS1 took the audience Nintendo thought that would have with the N64.

No, N64 and even Saturn didn't target or appeal to the same audiences because they didn't have the same 3rd party support. Hence, Playstation had a massive advantage with 3rd party support.

Playstation didn't expand the gaming audience, 3rd parties did. Sony just road their coattails. Without 3rd party support Playstation is nothing.

The Xbox 360 was a success because of price and it was a console that finally had support at par with Playstation. The Xbox One again has great support and that's why its still achieving solid sales. Meanwhile platforms with abymsal support like Wii U and Vita are struggling.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

great news for sony. a profit is a profit.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX