By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Not Expecting PS4's Profit Margins to Be As High as PS2

Read between the pr lines. They fully expect greater numbers then PS2 managed profit wise, they are just setting them selves up to look good by underestimating things or as some of you are saying being reasonable now and looking awesome for surpassing expectations later.

Sonys pr as far as PS4 and PS everything has been so perfect i wonder who the hell is running the show. One perfect maneuver after another.

Around the Network

Making games are expensive today.

PS4 will definetely be more profitable than PS3 and that's a huge win already.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
iTechHeads said:
curl-6 said:
iTechHeads said:
 They also have some tough competition and not just from Microsoft, 

I'd hardly call Xbox One "tough competition". Sony won this generation pretty much by default after MS and Ninty shot themselves in the foot too badly to pose a threat.

Microsoft is being very aggressive and Sony can't afford to let them take back marketshare.
Microsoft IS Sony's biggest threat even though PS4 currently enjoys a 2:1 advantage WW.

Microsoft can be as aggressive as they want, the jury's in and PS4's been established as the preferred system. MS pulled out all the stops with a full-on fire sale and still aren't even close to closing the weekly sales gap.

bigjon said:

The N64 took away 30 milllion sales from the PS1. It is the nature of the business. The XB1 will be lucky to equal the N64.

N64 and PS1 for the most part catered to different audiences. The same can be said about every Nintnedo console since N64. The PS4 and X1 are vying for a very similar audience that mostly buys the same games. Hence, the sales MS takes impacts Sony more than sales Nintendo takes.

Assuming MS stays competitive, X1 is going to trounce N64 numbers.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Mr Puggsly said:
=

Its semantics because we're just debating what "strong competition" is. The X1 having a significant impact on potential PS4 sales makes it a strong competitior. The Wii U having little impact on PS4 sales makes it a weak competitor.

I wouldn't call that strong, heck even many people dont call that a competition, but if  this about PS3 and Xbox 360 then i agree. Both Xbox One and Wii U is under the same categories while Wii U is more behind Xbox and dont have any intetion to compete, while Xbox is at least trying there best with everything they got.

Again, semantics.

Anyhow, I'd argue MS wasn't a stronger competitor that generation. Sony just made huge mistakes with PS3 like price.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

RolStoppable said:
I don't understand this. Why would a shift to more digital sales reduce the amount of money Sony gets from third parties? After all, a digital copy usually costs just as much as a retail copy, so third parties can already keep the retailer margin to themselves; why would the royalty rates be smaller then?

They do not get the royalty for the BD format

curl-6 said:
iTechHeads said:
 They also have some tough competition and not just from Microsoft, 

I'd hardly call Xbox One "tough competition". Sony won this generation pretty much by default after MS and Ninty shot themselves in the foot too badly to pose a threat.

MS is still trying to gain shares of the market. Ninty is doing some damage control by bringing very good 1st party games  for this generation and learning from it. But still both are making profit as well so I'm not worried for the 3 hardware makers

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

But the X1 taking away from potential PS4 sales.

Let me put it this way. If Vita went away, the 3DS would benefit much. If X1 went away, PS4 would get a massive sales boost.

It's still competition, I just wouldn't call it "strong" competition as PS4 is very easily trouncing Xbone in sales.

The Xone is still out performing the x360. The xone is a major competitor to the ps4 for now. The Wii U is the one lagging behind. 

on other news, the sky is blue.