By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Watch Dogs shifts almost no copies on its Wii U launch in UK

padib said:
KLXVER said:

I did? I said third parties wanted to make some easy money on the launch. I didnt say anything about Nintendo asking them.

You forgot what we were talking about. I told you Nintendo tried to actively cater to the PS-XB crowd. Enticing 3rd parties into cash-grabs aimed to that market is an argument you refuted by saing that that was the 3rd parties' doing.

I'm telling you that it was Nintendo's, along with Bayo and the controller design. There is an interview that proves the controller argument being made to cater to the PS-XB market but I can't be arsed to dig it out.

For the record it doesn't mean I think the controller is bad, on the contrary. Though the intent may have been vain the product is/was good. It's a good controller. Any controller I can play smash with is good in my book

I didnt forget. I said that Nintendo wanted those gamers because it would mean more money. Getting a few third parties to port year old games to your console at launch probably doesnt take much work... Not getting GTAV pretty much showed us that Nintendo doesnt really care that much.

Around the Network
padib said:
Soundwave said:
RolStoppable said:

Sorry, moving the goal posts won't fly here.

If your argument is now that not every single game was a hit, then you have none. After all, failure is something that can and has occured with every type of game.

I think my general point is sound ... very, very few developers can consistently create casual games that are hits. 

Some have been able to manage 1-3, but I've yet to see any one developer in the world consistently catch lightning in a bottle time after time after time. 

Because it's not workable. It's like asking a musician to make a Gangam Style viral hit every year ... it's impossible (sorry Psy). 

Michael Jackson, U2, Christopher Nolan, James Cameron, Celine Dion.

Nintendo

Michael Jackson in the 80s and 90s, yes, but by the late 90s his dominance was basically all but over. Most kids don't know who the hell Celine Dion or U2 are today. 

Nintendo has had a great run, but the casual audience is very different. I think we keep trying to pigeon hole them into rules that the core market works under.

It makes sense to us that since Bungie made Halo, that Destiny would be a hit, and lo and behold it is. That makes sense. But the casual market does not give two craps what you made yesterday. Nintendo in a lot of ways simply isn't built for the casual market, it's a fad based market, and Nintendo is not in the business of making fads, they make hit IP which they then carefully manage into mass profit over the next 20-30 years of making sequels. 

Nintendo understands this: Mario is a hit, now we'll make Mario 2, 3, World, Mario 64, etc. etc. and you will like it because we will keep the quality high OK?

Nintendo doesn't understand this: You like Wii Fit, so now we will give you Wii Fit 3 (basically) and the quality will be high. Wait you don't like this anymore? It's boring now? You like Flappy Bird? That game is something our janitor could've farted out in a weekend ... please try Tomodachi Collection. 

many reason :
1. it's UK where Wii U isn't that popular

2.It's third party games where most of people bought Wii U for their first party games

3.It's a current gen game that utilize last gen graphic (on Wii U)

4. The game heavily marketed for PS4 and the PS4 version released 6 month before Wii U version.

5. comparing the copy price, PS4 version it's more cheaper then the Wii U version in some store (even some have bundled on it)

6. Let say Ubisoft it's very kind to support the Wii U version even they knew it it will gonna happen like this.

HollyGamer said:

2.It's third party games where most of people bought Wii U buy for their first party games

I dont get this one. Why wouldnt you buy a third party game if its good?

IT's no surprise Ubisoft spit in the face of nintendo fanboys .

Fuck you Ubisoft,no one cares about you games.

Around the Network
phaedruss said:
There were some on here expecting a million lifetime or some ridiculous crap LOLOLOL

There are also some who think wii u will outsell xbox one

chidori-chan2 said:

Really? Why is that exactly?

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

I think my general point is sound ... very, very few developers can consistently create casual games that are hits.

Some have been able to manage 1-3, but I've yet to see any one developer in the world consistently catch lightning in a bottle time after time after time. 

Because it's not workable. It's like asking a musician to make a Gangam Style viral hit every year ... it's impossible (sorry Psy). 

Your general point is flawed because it is contradicted by the facts.

Brain Training, Nintendogs, Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing: Wild World, New Super Mario Bros., Brain Training 2, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

That's ten games that meet your criteria within the span of five years (2005-2009), all made by the same developer. And that's just covering the big hits and ignoring titles that sold in the 2-5m range.

Well half of those IP existed before, Mario and Animal Crossing, and Mario Kart were on the GameCube. I don't really even understand the logic, you're mad at Nintendo for not making these games anymore ... yet they still make basically all of them? 

In terms of Brain Training, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and Wii Fit ... yes they certainly hit the jackpot there. 

But since then? Wii Music. Nope. Nintendo Land. Nope. Style Savvy. Nope. Art Academy. Nope. Tomodachi Collection? Big in Japan, not a blockbuster hit anywhere else. None of these have broken out into big hits comparable to Wii Sports or Brain Training. Some of these may have done OK, but they weren't enough to keep casuals, for that they needed another Wii Sports and they failed with Nintendo Land. 

And meanwhile Wii Sports Club and Wii Fit U both floped, and Nintendogs + cats underperformed and could not carry the 3DS even for a couple of months (Mario had to come and bail them out)

Against Apple they just can't compete. Nintendo was lucky that they got to that market for a short period of time before Apple moved in with the iPhone. 

chidori-chan2 said:

Fuck you Ubisoft,no one cares about you games.

If that was true their games wouldn't be selling millions of units.

RolStoppable said:
Soundwave said:

Well half of those IP existed before, Mario and Animal Crossing, and Mario Kart were on the GameCube. 

In terms of Brain Training, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, and Wii Fit ... yes they certainly hit the jackpot there. 

But since then? Wii Music. Nope. Nintendo Land. Nope. Style Savvy. Nope. Art Academy. Nope. Tomodachi Collection? Big in Japan, not a blockbuster hit anywhere else. None of these have broken out into big hits. 

And meanwhile Wii Sports Club and Wii Fit U both floped, and Nintendogs + cats underperformed and could not carry the 3DS even for a couple of months. 

Even if you only want to count half of those games for arbitrary reasons, the number still comfortably exceeds your previous goal posts.

Your general point doesn't hold water.

My point that it's very hard to repeat casual success doesn't hold water?

Nintendo, Guitar Hero, Just Dance, Angry Birds, Candy Crush, etc. tell a fairly different story. 

You can go to Vegas. You can even maybe hit a jackpot on day 1 and day 2, but if you're going to tell me that's a valid strategy for making money, I'd say no way. If you gamble, you may be able to get lucky for a day or two, but eventually you will get burned. 

Nintendo can't compete against Apple anyway, even if they could make some magically great Wiimote game today or even release a full-on casual console with nothing but Wii ____ titles and "approved for Mom" games released all year long ... it would not sell today. 

Wii filled a gap that was not being served at all in 2006. Today there are a million ways for a person who doesn't feel comfortable playing "hard" games with physical controllers to play. They're carrying it in their pocket virtually 24/7 for starters. 

And yes, Apple even trumped Nintendo with their interface ... multitouch screen is easier and more intuitive than even the Wiimote and stylus control of the DS was. 3 year old kids can pick up an iPad and start playing games without much fuss. With my 6 year old niece I still have to guide her through the Wii menu when she wants to use Netflix on it to watch cartoons because she doesn't understand that you have to point the Wiimote at the sensor bar or that the Wiimote sometimes needs to be recalibrated.