By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK Charts Week Ending 22 November 2014

ethomaz said:

walsufnir said:

Huh? It can't fit as there is no definition in there: " In defining market dominance, you must see to what extent a product, brand, or firm controls a product category in a given geographic area." And what do we see now? There is no "if your sales ratio is above x % higher than the other one, you dominate".

Because the % of sales ration variates in case to case.

Exemple:

A (40%), B (10%), C (15%), D (15%), E (20%) = Case of dominance.

A (50%) B (40%), C (5%), D (3%), E (2%) = No dominance.

If it is a two product scenario... the dominance can be defined by:

"A company, brand, product, or service that has a combined market share exceeding 60% most probably has market power and market dominance."

So if you think about two players you have PS (49%) and Xbox (42%) and a cleary case of non dominance.

But when you add the fact there are 5 players:

PS4 (42%), XB1 (30%), 360 (12%), PC (9%), PS3 (6%)

You start to see some kind of dominance and it is more evident when 360 was the dominated console until a year ago.

Yeap I used the DA:I example because it is a subjective case of dominance... so if you can understand this case then you will see why the others case are cleary objective dominances:

Far Cry 4

50% PS4
30% XB1
11% 360
6% PS3

GTA V (this case it missed by 2% the 60% of the market)

58% PS4
41% XB1

No again, this is _leading_, not dominating. You defined it with the above number and from then on you were basing your arguments on this arbitrary number to reversely make your domination statement fitting. Dominating means you have full control and there is close to no competition even existing.

To be clear: PS4 is selling better and so do the games but right now we aren't even close to a domination, we instead have a tough fighting competition between 2 companies. This wouldn't be possible if PS4 was dominating.

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
Bail said:

DerNebel was obviously ironic about "Sony is in the top 5" being the point of ethomaz.

I think you mean sarcastic

I reckon that both could be used here.

SweetTalia said:
Man oh man.. not sure what's going on here..
This chart does not say anything about ps4 dominating. both x1 and ps4 doing well. not sure why so many people are out in full forced screaming domination. Ps4 install base is bigger in the uk, so go figures lol.obviously software will favor ps4 almost everytime.

Let's wait for some sale numbers this week in the uk guys. x1 outsold ps4 3 weeks in a row..its really doubtful ps4 is "dominating" this week.. really doubtful.

Just to be fair the domination word was not used to hardware sales but software tie ratios.

The three news releases of this week showed a dominance of the PS4 version even the game cleary marketed as Xbone "exclusive" that showed a shift from 360 dominance to PS4 dominance.

Domination *Cough*

I mean this thread was hilarious to read but I need to go to sleep lol. (Tag for later lolz)

Nice to see Far Cry 4 do better then past Far Cry.
Also too bad Dragon Age is so low. I hope Witcher 3 can pull similar or more numbers.

walsufnir said:

No again, this is _leading_, not dominating. You defined it with the above number and from then on you were basing your arguments on this arbitrary number to reversely make your domination statement fitting. Dominating means you have full control and there is close to no competition even existing.

To be clear: PS4 is selling better and so do the games but right now we aren't even close to a domination, we instead have a tough fighting competition between 2 companies. This wouldn't be possible if PS4 was dominating.

You don't need to have full control of a market to have a dominance scenario... ask any ecomomist.

https://www.boundless.com/marketing/textbooks/boundless-marketing-textbook/the-marketing-environment-3/internal-factors-30/calculating-market-share-161-4046/

This is a example of two players scenario:

"There are several ways of calculating market dominance. The most direct is market share, discussed above. However, market share is not a perfect proxy of market dominance. The influences of customers, suppliers, competitors in related industries, and government regulations must be taken into account. Although there is no set relationship between dominance and market share, the following are general criteria: A company, brand, product, or service that has a combined market share exceeding 60% most probably has market power and market dominance. A market share of over 35% but less than 60% is an indicator of market strength but not necessarily dominance. A market share of less than 35% is not an indicator of strength or dominance and will not raise anti-competitive concerns by government regulators."

This is general criterica... it can chance in case to case.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

walsufnir said:

You don't need to have full control of a market to dominate that... ask any ecomomist.

I can't see any in this thread stating the PS4 is dominating.

Talal said:
Halo drop looks really bad. Assasin's Creed (both versions) and FIFA (One and 360 versions) are higher. Would love to see numbers. Online issues really hurt its potential.

Agreed. It might be too early to say but it seems Halo is kinda irrelevant in UK (for now). Fifa and gta are mainstream software in UK.

walsufnir said:

I can't see any in this thread stating the PS4 is dominating.

I added more info to my post

And yes I'm calling the software ratio in the big 3 releases of this week shows a case of dominance.

daredevil.shark said:

Agreed. It might be too early to say but it seems Halo is kinda irrelevant in UK (for now). Fifa and gta are mainstream software in UK.

It is not irrelevant... it is a remaster that sold better than most expectations... ~110k for first week is amazing for what it is.

People expecting a Halo 5 scenario was cleary off the base.

kowenicki said:
DerNebel said:

Cause, that's the fucking point he was trying to make, right? His point was "look Sony is in the top 5 smartphone manufacturers", jesus christ, for a dude that loves to rub his intelligence and insight in everyones face you can turn incredibly thick when it comes to defending MS and downplaying Sony.

And you wonder why half of this site hates you.

oh deary me... wow. 

you seem to have gotten very excited in your response and made an error.  because that celarly wasnt  the point he was making and actually wasnt the main part of my response....  so your post is somewhat ironic.

The bolded was sarcasm, learn to detect it.