By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Platinum's games don't sell well?

You agree with me?

Yes 85 53.13%

No 75 46.88%

Total:160
KylieDog said:
Their games are overrated and people mainly get behind them as a fuck you to Capcom.

When it comes to putting money where there mouth is, gamers get shown they full of shit, as usual.

you really are like making controversial posts do you XD 

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

Around the Network
Ostro said:

All points are valid.

But this covers most of it imo.

GTAexpert said:

2. Platinum's games are short: Gamer's today seem to care far more about quantity than quality, and that's a problem for Platinum as their games are very good but also very short. Their games are usually 10 hours long, but one of their games MGR: R is just 5 hours long, with most of that time being cutscenes. That stops many people from buying their games even if they really want to play it.

Even fans of the genres said the games are too short. When other people told them that's one of the great things because it's about high scores, getting better and better, finding different routes and therefore the opposite of hours of an entertaining world with less action and long ways to go, they understood and slowly became score hunters themselves.

Platinum's games are games. Pick them up for a short period, rack up a nice score, build some ideas and skills for your next run. While The Walking Dead is on the one extreme side of video games where it's all about story and almost only about choices, Platinum is on the other extreme side where it's about fast paced action and although they have pretty good stories, they are quite quirky and nothing you'd believe in or get sucked into the game's world by.

What you said doesn't make much sense, a game doesn't need to be like one of Platinum's games to be called a game. People have different tastes in gaming, so just because their games have fast action and "pretty good stories" doesn't mean they are the only games in existence.

As for the length, if a game is short it doesn't usually stop me from buying a game if I'm interested in the game. But its obvious that most gamers don't think the same way.

KylieDog said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
KylieDog said:
Their games are overrated and people mainly get behind them as a fuck you to Capcom.

When it comes to putting money where there mouth is, gamers get shown they full of shit, as usual.

you really are like making controversial posts do you XD 

Just being honest.

its ok to be honest but this is like the 2nd one today I saw you post that looked constroversial

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Hard to explain mechanics that are rarely made apparent or even explained tend to get their games lower sales and review scores.

There might also be something said about their art direction. Their cute saccharine stuff does horribly sales wise. I hope Avatar's buillt in fan base made their latest collaboration with atvi and nickolodeon a success despite it's bright appearance.

Platinum Games title are 90's style aracade games on new tech. If it was the 90's and arcades were still super popular almost all of Platinums titles would've been on the arcade. Hack N Slash gained popularity through arcade and consoles. Sega has a similar style as well by making niche games that are still fun to people who love quick arcade action. Back then it was all Sega and Capcom. Today capcom is losing money. Just goes to show how popular these types of games are these days.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
OfficerRaichu15 said:
KylieDog said:

Just being honest.

its ok to be honest but this is like the 2nd one today I saw you post that looked constroversial

You must not read many of my posts.

Then I would be stalking your posts

Bets:

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Vanquish was fantastic though. Mmmm.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Platinum's games don't sell well because not only are they niche, but the majority of the time they try to push these really deep and involving off the wall storylines that are awful.

With Vanquish if you've played the full game or the demo the storyline is beyond boring. The game itself may have had great gameplay but it was nothing but a fast paced cover shooter with nothing to break the monotony. The storyline is garbage and it's just one shooting gallery to the next.

Same thing with Anarchy Reigns. It's a game that has okay gamaeplay that quickly gets super repetitive before you finish the first map and a storyline that is complete garbage. You either skip the storyline and it's nothing but repetitive subpar gameplay, or you have the garbage storyline to break the monotony in between.

Again the same with Bayonetta. Another game with good gameplay and a garbage storyline. The gameplay has a lot of variety though but a few things kill it. The unique gameplay segments they introduce in between and the many many many segments of button mashing kills and QTEs.

So it's not that they're a developer that doesn't know how to create good gameplay, it's just that they screw up everywhere else way too much that the quality gameplay really doesn't matter when the rest of the game holds it back.

The one Platinum Games that I've played that I can say has been amazing has been God Hand. Excellent gameplay and the storyline was some b rated comedy that was entertaining but also didn't drag on. It was short and to the point. It launched at a budget price of $30 so it may have lost sales because people thought it was a budget shovelware game, it was bashed by critics who just sucked ass at video games, and the games cover art certainly didn't do it any favors.

I own the Viewtiful Joe games also but haven't ever played them.

fireblazerx17 said:
niche aside, people care more about hype and "brand-name" (or IPs, really) than quality, and I think that contributes. it's why Nintendo has to keep milking Mario, Activision CoD, Ubisoft AC, etc.

wowowowowowwooooo.  mario games HAVE high quality(well atleast all on nintendo plattforms) some are maybe more of the same, but the quality is allways a lot above average, never played a mario game with bad gameplay, even the tenis games play well. and the gameplay of cod is fine for what it is, its a lowskill casual shooter. and the cod games have a story that fits well for the market the game is sold to, if u like tranformers, u will love cod and the cod story.  AC on the other and is a broken trainwreck,just a bad made game with realy bad gameplay.

badgenome said:

The problem is complex, but it basically boils down to Kamiya insulting all of their potential customers on Twitter and idiot game reviewers giving The Legend of Korra a 4/10.