By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Userbase - What the #@??

The other versions are jokes in their own right. If I've said it once, I've said it 137 times. People buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Anyone hoping this is not true is going to be very surprised that third party support never gets beyond "meh" levels, whether Nintendo's first or third. No developer wants to drop $20 million on the system to have it be outsold 5:1 by something like Wii Play, which has been universally panned as nothing more than a technical demo but sells because of the name of the publisher.

Around the Network

Maybe if 3rd party developers could actually make a game as good as Nintendo?

Is that so impossible? Cause it would sell. Banjo Kazooie sold like crazy cause it was high quality, up there with Nintendo. Resident Evil 4 was big, though it didn't sell well, mainly cause people were done with Gamecube. It's coming back for the Wii though, and I expect it to sell well.

I mean, I think Miyamoto said he thought 3rd parties should just step up and do a quality job. Nintendo churns out games like crazy, but they're high quality and actually fun.

I'm waiting for No More Heroes, RE4, RE: UC, quite a few others. I mean...let's see. Pick between WarioWare or Spiderman 3. WarioWare clearly wins, even if it's simple. It's just more fun.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

People are so scared of not selling on the wii.  nintendo is just so cannibalizing.  RE4 came out on the ps2.  And banjo kazooie was a second party game.

I would be scared of making a wii game right now.  it's a casual userbase, so the game might not sell because they dont want a new game.   third party starts out strong and then dies.  it just doesnt make sense to make a high quality game for the wii. quick, small do though.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Maybe some of us feel Red Steel isn't a crappy game? :p

IIRC, the PS2 version of Resident Evil was announced right before the Gamecube's release.  And what won't sell better when you have an install base of 100+ million versus 20 million? 

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Spider-Man 3 for the Wii isnt selling well because the controls make fighting too hard.  Spider-Man is/was a hard enough game with a regular controller (Remember Spider-Man 2, fighting those Mechs?).  Wii owners arent exactly looking for a challenge.  Devs and reviewers need to realize that just because you have the wiimote doesnt mean you need to use it for everything.  Super Paper Mario is a good example.  The only thing you use the wiimote for (that couldnt be on a normal controller) is pointing at the screen and some style thing i havnt got to yet (im 1/3 through).  I'm perfectly happy attacking with buttons.  Put the wii motions on things that make sense.  Attacking?  Really?  You think we want to be swiping our hands 24/7?

I also think that the "makeup" of the Wii gaming base would suprise a lot of people.  Its too bad no one does stats on that type of thing.

Around the Network

Uh, again, Red Steel and Rayman sold well and there not amazing games. Currently Tiger Woods is selling well. Madden on the Wii outsold the ps3 version.

And for the RECORD more people are buying games for the Wii then the ps3, it has a MUCH HIGHER ATTACH RATE!! I emphasize this because I'm tired of hearing people say no one buys games for the Wii because it's a casual system. For all we know casual people might ending up buying more games. heck in Japan the attach rate is more then double for the Wii then for the ps3, because people casually browse through the games a pick up a few.  

3rd Parties have every reason to make good Wii games just wait till games like MySims comes out, it will be huge. Dragon Quest Swords will do well particularly in japan. The greatest thing about Nintendo is that they'll throw there weight behind developers who are on to something, creating something big for their system. Miyamato will get excited about a project and they'll aid that company to some degree. But the content has to be there. 

soccerdrew17 said:

People are so scared of not selling on the wii. nintendo is just so cannibalizing. RE4 came out on the ps2. And banjo kazooie was a second party game.

I would be scared of making a wii game right now. it's a casual userbase, so the game might not sell because they dont want a new game. third party starts out strong and then dies. it just doesnt make sense to make a high quality game for the wii. quick, small do though.

You'd be losing out.  Right now the hardcore Wii owners are starving for good games.  Releasing a game like GRAW 2 even with downgraded visuals would sell pretty well on the Wii.  I believe that the Wii has more hardcore gamers than developers give it credit for.  Myself included.  Those publishers who figure this out will benefit. 

Also, Resident Evil 4 didn't sell that well on the Cube because they sabotaged their sales before the game came out by announcing the PS2 version.  I know quite a few people who decided not to get the Cube version because there was a PS2 version coming.  It was the worst thing that Capcom could have done.  At least they get a chance to make up for it by releasing the Wii version of RE4 with all of the PS2 content and Wii aiming.  I hope the game sells well, though I don't expect too much since it's still an old game.  If they sell around 200k copies, then I'd call that a success.

-Darkness

The best selling games have been two technical demos and a Gamecube port. It's not about how much quality there is or a massive budget.

And this is something new ? Madden has shown the same for months, but apparently wii fans hate sports so the wii sports title selling the least is to be expected and ok.

Calling Wii Sports a technical demo is a bit unfair. It's a very fun technical demo if anything...I don't see how it is different from an "actual" game. WiiPlay is certainly more of the technical demo, and I didn't find it as fun.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )