By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Userbase - What the #@??

Pattern, like younger audience oriented games selling better on wii ? while teen/mature do better on PS3 or 360.

Around the Network

I also just realized. Wii is selling strongest in Japan. Since when have the Japanese been fans of games like Godfather of GTA. Plus the game is a little bit poorly done. I can't help but get bored after about 10 minutes of play. The gameplay is repeditive and DIFFICULT. Every business has a coke factory running in the back, each with about 20 guards armed with tommy guns. I am smart enough to rent the risky games first. A better comparison would be the DS in my opinion. Look at how well those games are doing right now. They have an even more casual audience than the Wii.

DarkD said:
There are plenty of non Nintendo franshises which I would gladly buy should they make a decent game. RE4 and RE UC I might just pick up, the FF and Fire Emblem titles if they come soon enough, and I am dieing to play Batallion Wars 2. Third parties are killing themselves on the Wii. If they wanna churn out crap for the Wii then I won't buy it. I do my research, I only plan on buying a game if it gets some high praise from reviewers.

This is the long and short of it, Shane -- and I might add it makes much more sense than your theory that people literally will choose not to buy good 3rd party titles "just because," with no explanation given why someone would behave that way (can you give one? I'd be curious, because it's not logical). Nintendo makes good games, and so people buy them. Historically, when other people have made games that are as good (or better) than those made by Nintendo itself, they do quite well, too.

The real problem is that Nintendo consoles have not done well compared to their competitors for the last 8+ years, and this has cost them considerable 3rd party support (who wants to make games for a console that has 1/2 or 1/4 the userbase?) The consequence is that considerably fewer great 3rd party titles have come to their systems. The few great games that HAVE come on their systems have done well -- again, thus disproving your position. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Smash_Brother said:
Blue3 said:
So, about this ? Wii Need for Speed Carbon - 145,834 PS3 Need for Speed Carbon - 212,280 Wii The Godfather - 34,061 PS3 The Godfather - 50,270 Wii Blazing Angels - 32,779 PS3 Blazing Angels - 101,175 Wii Madden NFL 07 - 353,311 PS3 Madden NFL 07 - 380,387

So what you're saying is, PS3 owners are so starved for good games that they'll buy the likes of Blazing Angels and NFS?

Godfather with Wii controls is insanely fun, though. Shame it didn't sell more.

Um arent wii owners paying for demos like wii sports or play ?

Blue3 said: 

Um arent wii owners paying for demos like wii sports or play ?

No, they're paying for the console and they're paying $40 for the controller that Wii Play comes with and $10 for the game itself, probably because Wiimotes alone are still hard to find in some places.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
Pattern, like younger audience oriented games selling better on wii ? while teen/mature do better on PS3 or 360.

Yeah, I was waiting for some whiny little fanbot to pull out the "kiddie" argument again.

How do you explain why RedSteel, despite many people thinking it junk, is nearly at the 1 million mark (or might already be)?

I think Wii owners just aren't as starved for games as most PS3 owners are right now. As for the 360, the entire console is aimed at adult gamers. What do you expect?

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

When good, and hyped games sell poorly then there may be a problem. That is currently happening on the PS3 but not the Wii. Nintendo console owners tend to be pretty picky. At least I am. But during GCN days, crap games didn't sell, but when a 3rd party made an effort and put out a good game, it did sell well, usually. As for casualy, they may only buy a handful of games, like 5-10, for the entire lifetime of the Wii. They will buy the pickup and play fun games, and not so much the crap licenses. They will buy games like MySims etc.

Ugh, this isn't going anywhere. Can a mod just lock the damned thread. This is what happens when a Fanboy thread is started. I am just gonna get angrier and angrier until I say something stupid. Just lock the damned thread. gebx should know better than to start one like this. I say we just lock the threads that are designed to bait the other side into attacking.

Agreed.

Although there is definitely some truth to Wii users "not buying games" (more casual gamers?)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099