By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DF: GTA 5's next-gen grass compared

#grassgate

PSN & XBOX GT : cutzman25

Around the Network

Seen a hilarious comment from an X1 owner on GAF. "Will pick this up eventually, just giving the grass time to grow"

ROFL

So PS4 feature a lens flare effect, have slightly better framerate, and basically, landscapes are more detailed...
This is not exactly the near-parity that was promised by Rockstar. Nothing serious, anyway.

RolStoppable said:
Zekkyou said:
Brace yourselves, the grassgate has officially been opened.

(Really though, it's not a particularly significant difference, but it's a nice little perk for PS4 owners).

Is this in any way special? Xenoblade Chronicles had grass too, and that was on the Wii.

Depends on various factors. The amount of grass, its texture quality, how it reacts to the game's lighting engine and player interactions, variety of grass types, how far it's rendered etc all come into play.

There's nothing inherently special or complex about having grass, but if it ticks enough boxes in the stuff i mentioned it can become incredibly resource intensive. Reducing the density is an easy way of freeing up resources if you don't want to change the dynamics of the grass itself (reducing how far around the player the grass is rendered is another common strategy).

I also count 400% more birds and 100% more cars in the PS4 picture.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Better grass.... yay?

What's with all the sarcasm. Foliage/ground decoration or whatever you want to call it is a big part of the graphics in any game. You may aswell be saying "higher poly models yay?" or "Higher texture quality yay?" the only difference being that in this particular game the differences appear to be limited to a few isolated areas.

Grassgate and console warriors, I said it first.

Also my prediction that the gif would be used for a long time as definitive proof of how much better the PS4 version is.

That is fantastic!!! With all the extra GPU all R* could give is more grass in some areas, if I were one of PS4 #noparity apologetics I would be pissed.

With the Resolutiongate you could at least strech that you play close to a big screen and the lower resolution could affect the gameplay in shooters snipers.

I can't belive i live in the time, where i have to read about "GTA V gras comparisons"
What happend to gaming?

I still prefer Farming Simulator over this

Barkley said:

Super Mario 64 had tree's and that was on the n64.

-_-

Do you know what topic you are talking about? Because Super Mario 64's tress were controvercial. All trees of Super Mario 64 have "billboard effect" this means 2D tress always look at your POV. Why this happened? Because of limitations of N64.

Oh dear lord. Now we're discussing whether having lusher vegetation in games matters! This is is incredible. So:

Resolution doesn't matter
Framerate (in games like TR) doesn't matter
Better lighting doesn't matter
More detail doesn't matter

Is there anything left that we can legitimately demand from next gen games that 'doesn't matter'?

The PS5 Exists. 

shikamaru317 said:

Ground clutter (grass, shrubs, etc.) is a pretty important component of a game's graphics imo. For instance here are 2 upcoming JRPG's, FFXV and Tales of Zestiria. FFXV has alot of ground clutter, Zestiria has very little, the lack of ground clutter in Zestiria instantly sticks out like a sore thumb for me. Both games will be amazing imo, but that's besides the point, I feel like Zestiria would have been better off on PS4 than PS3 because it would have allowed for more ground clutter as well as other graphical improvements.

Wait till you see FF XV in real time PS4 / Xbox One hardware. These are prototype and running in PC / Devkit. I assume there will be lots of downgrade.