By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Someone plz explain Nintendo Fusion? Sounds like failure.

Does Nintendo Fusion sound like a good idea?

Sounds like a Flop . 14 15.05%

It what Nintendo needs! 36 38.71%

Dunno, need more info. 43 46.24%

Total:93

My view of the Fusion that isn't accurate at all:
- it'll be one console (a terminal and a controller with a screen)
- the controller can download the games you buy on the terminal (disc or digital), so you can take it on the go. Though this hurts the graphics.
- possible to buy the controller separately, though games will be download only
- It can use the wii u gamepad, wii motes, and 3ds for controllers, but can't download games on them (obviously)
- selling price: $300 ($150 for terminal, $150 for controller); I don't think they'll get in the arms race for graphics at this point.

I don't think this would actually work, but it's fun to think about.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I don't think Nintendo really gives two hoots about matching the PS4 in power anyway, I think that's a pissing match they moved away from getting involved in a long time ago.

Mario Kart 8 looks fantastic, it's clear the Wii U has enough power to make at least the games Nintendo wants to make look pretty nice.

If Fusion can run that level of graphics on a handheld at 540-720p and in full 1080p at home, I think Nintendo will be more than happy with that. Maybe throw in some more modern lighting/shader effects that give the impression of PS4/XB1-ish style graphics if a developer really wants to push it.

The whole point of Fusion in one sense is that Nintendo won't need third parties to have adequete software, it may actually be to their benefit to not have too much third party support in this scenario so all software sales are basically controlled directly by Nintendo. 

$219.99 for the handheld variant (at launch)

$179.99-$199.99 for the home TV version (VitaTV style microconsole). 

Is kinda what I see. Both use the same chipset like the iPhone-iPad use the same chips basically, just configured a little different (the iPad has a more powerful version of the chip with more RAM). 

A new 3D Mario at launch and we have a great future ahead.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

bubblegamer said:
Sounds like a jack of all trades but master of none. We'll see soon enough either way.

Care to elaborate on this?

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

The console + touchscreen controller in one box idea is not going to be touched again by Nintendo.

They tried it this gen and I don't know if you guys missed it but it's their worst selling console by a country mile.

Making another console that's basically the same concept would be a disaster.

Next gen, their handheld is actually the main bread and butter. If people want to play Nintendo games on their TV at home, that will be like a secondary, optional thing.

Just like iPhone is Apple's no.1 product ... iPad is a nice secondary business for them that reuses the same iPhone components/tech/software ecosystem basically.

I think this will require a bit of a thinking shift from some video game traditionalists who always view the console as the "main" product and the handheld as a "secondary" thing. Reverse that for Fusion. 

Pavolink said:

A new 3D Mario at launch and we have a great future ahead.

Hear! Hear!

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

Around the Network

Yeah I can totally see Super Mario Galaxy 3 being an early gen release for the Fusion platform.

One thing I don't think Nintendo will not f**k around with next is not bringing enough of their big guns into the launch window after poor 3DS and Wii U launches burned them badly. I think they have to know now they can't afford to do that again. 

I think you could totally see a release schedule like this 

May 2016 (launch): Animal Crossing Next

July 2016: Super Mario Galaxy 3 (no post-launch drought)

holiday 2016: Mario Kart 9

Sony did it with the PSP Go at $199, so im sure Nintendo can too.

Who knows.

Soundwave said:

Yeah I can totally see Super Mario Galaxy 3 being an early gen release for the Fusion platform.

One thing I don't think Nintendo will not f**k around with next is not bringing enough of their big guns into the launch window after poor 3DS and Wii U launches burned them badly. I think they have to know now they can't afford to do that again. 

I think you could totally see a release schedule like this 

May 2016 (launch): Animal Crossing Next

July 2016: Super Mario Galaxy 3 (no post-launch drought)

holiday 2016: Mario Kart 9

My guess is that the home version won't even launch until holiday 2016, and that the handheld will land in April or May of that year.

Gotta hope i get a decent job out of school so i have the money for this stuff...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

padib said:
It equals success. What you're missing is that you're prioritising HW sales over SW sales.

What matters are software sales. Hardware sales are secondary. As long as as many people as possible are playing a game that is cross-platform, Nintendo is winning. Especially, while solving the issue of duplicated development time due to non-compatible platforms (HH and home), with a unified API and library Nintendo will be able to make one single library of games instead of two, thereby basically winning by default.

The fusion hardware theory is just icing on the cake, the real win here is the unified API and SW library.

I get you. I can see how it can easily benefit software sales, specifically the games made for home consoles but limited to smaller userbase. My thinking is that I'm not convinced unified software will boost Nintendo's overall hardware sales versus splintering it,  i.e there is huge cross over between Wii U userbase and 3DS. It sounds like they should just give up on the home consoles and produce multiplatform games for X1 and PS4, openning up a revenue stream they really dont have access to.

But thanks for the clarity.