By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Someone plz explain Nintendo Fusion? Sounds like failure.

Does Nintendo Fusion sound like a good idea?

Sounds like a Flop . 14 15.05%

It what Nintendo needs! 36 38.71%

Dunno, need more info. 43 46.24%

Total:93

some have good speculations but they are all theories. if the 3rd party developers think it would boost sales on their games like COD, GTA, AC, EA sports games on handheld with DLC $$$ they would do it.

Around the Network

My take on it is, if you want a home console, there is a SKU, if you want a handheld, there is a SKU they run exactly the same software (possibly like PS3/Vita Cross buy/Save or maybe interchangeable using the same disc/card). If you want both, you only need to purchase the software once.

A bit like the PlayStation TV and Vita allow, but better executed from a compatibility front.

Sales of either home/handheld hardware boost overall userbase, bigger audience for devs to market to. Nintendo don't have to spread there resources across 2 platformers allowing a greater frequency of releases.

Would be a really great concept if they could get it off the ground.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

I've never heard of it before. What is it?

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I think Nintendo will kind of transform a little in the next-gen and become a little bit of a different type of company.

Their main pillar will still be video games, but it will now be a centralized ecosystem driven platform where all their games run on all their devices.

The second big pillar of their business will be amiibo toys which will expand out into a full blown toy line. I think they will become more of a toy company and even move more into animation (Pikmin short films kinda hint at this too).

I think they will focus mostly on kids next gen, so these devices will also be quite cheap. Nothing above $250, the handheld variant may be pricey for about a year, but the home variant will be very affordable (no expensive gimmicks).

Mummelmann said:
This is not about the consoles themselves being an integral part of one another, it is more a software-based middle ground that allows for shared assets and development efforts on two platforms of different formats simultaneously, this is a step to ensure that they don't get bogged down with long development cycles on two fronts seeing as how they're practically supporting their home consoles all by themselves and 1st party software is still paramount to moving handhelds and keeping them vital.

It's a smart move by a company that has been cornered by market conditions and poor developer relations. The biggest challenge I see is making a handheld that has specs similar enough that it doesn't require vast amounts of scaling; this could mean that they will either make a powerful handheld and an "underpowered" home console, much the same as they do now or that they will or they will opt to do that scaling at a higher level. A handheld that keeps up with home consoles spec wise would likely be quite costly, both for the manufacturer and the consumers so I think that that option is out.

We're already seeing something similar now with the shared games between the 3DS and the Wii U, Smash is an example of such thinking so you could say that they have already started testing the waters with this strategy. Expect even more shared games between the two as the 8th gen moves on; this is really the best solution for them given the current circumstances.

In terms of power I don't think either will be graphical beasts, Nintendo probably wants to sell these at a reasonably low cost ($199.99 each).

My guess for the handheld would be somewhere between Vita & Wii U in terms of power, similar to how 3DS is between PSP & Wii, in other words it will essentially be a handheld PS3/360.

For the console I think it will basically be a souped-up Wii U similar to the jump from GC to Wii (faster CPU & more RAM).

So the console will be a fair bit more powerful in order to display games at a higher resolution/framerate  (720p/30fps vs 1080p/60fps).

Since next-gen is likely to be their handheld plus a home version, Nintendo should keep handheld game prices, $29.99-$39.99 and it should be feasible to have devices at these specs to release at $199.99 without taking a loss.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I really wish people would stop toting this idea around here like it's been confirmed. It's about as confirmed as Apple getting into the home console market. In other words, it's purely rumor/speculation right now. And I honestly believe a console/portable hybrid is not in Nintendo's future plans. I'd bet more on the next home console being based around VR tech than I would on it being a portable hybrid.

HyrulianScrolls said:
I really wish people would stop toting this idea around here like it's been confirmed. It's about as confirmed as Apple getting into the home console market. In other words, it's purely rumor/speculation right now. And I honestly believe a console/portable hybrid is not in Nintendo's future plans. I'd bet more on the next home console being based around VR tech than I would on it being a portable hybrid.

Nobody is saying it's fact, we are purely stating what we think these devices would be if they do indeed happen to be made. But also Iwata & Miyamoto have made some statements that hint at this as a possible future so it's not like people are completely making things up when they think Fusion is the path they will choose.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Why are we still discussing this hoax?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Because speculation can always be fun. Whether it's ever going to happen again.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Jumpin said:

What do u mean hoax? It hasn't been confirmed but recent statements from Iwata & Miyamoto strongly hint at a Fusion type platform, obviously we don't know exactly what they are planning but we can try to make educated guesses based on these statements.