By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4: The Year One Review (Gamespot)

amak11 said:
ICStats said:
VanceIX said:
ICStats said:

The comment at 4:00 is so spot on.

4:00 - "The best thing about having a PS4 is not having to use an Xbox One. The whole experience is just so much nicer. The Xbox One UI is still not quite there yet and not having to deal with that is one of the best things."

As an owner of both I couldn't agree more, Xbox One users have it bad and they don't know it.

I really wish sometimes that I could take some of the XB1 guys on here, show them the consoles side by side, show them how clunky the Xbox One is compared to the PS4's experience; and how amazingly empty and shit their store is compared to the PS4's.

Not sure if trolling, both of the UIs are fairly dry, seeing as that PS4 is all over the place with content and the One is full of ads. Also, the One makes up for the PS4 in terms of content by having (currently) higher rated exclusives in the store.

Really, I don't think anyone is missing out on anything (either that, or both fanbases are missing out, since the UI for both is still evolving).

Are you trolling?  I much prefer the PS4's UI, and the store is fast and has a lot more content.  The Xbox One's store is like going back in time to the original PS3 Store (shudder).  XB1 UI is worse than Xbox 360's UI.

Also i really disagree about the content too.  The grass is not as green on Xbox One as some would like you to believe.

Let's wait and see if they do one about the Xbox One.  I'm sure it will be a lot less positive.

Do you also hate Windows 8?

without start menu hack and 8.1 to disable metro,  i do. 

and i agree,  xbox one ui is horrible

Around the Network

This is a poor quality video, but it shows what I mean about the stores.  This was 9 months after XB1/PS4 launch.  XB1 had 67 titles on it's store, and PS4 had 125 titles.  Even when the guy removes all the indies, there are still 75 games which is more than XB1 had including it's indies.

The store is just nicer to use as well which you can see visually, it has more categorization, sorting, fitltering.  One thing you'll notice is the XB1 doesn't show you the price of games, or if you've bought them or anything, until you click on them.  Hopefully these will get improved over time, but it's been 1 year already.

I think the PS4 user experience has better touches almost everywhere, from the time I've spent on it anyway.  I got Halo: MCC disc this week; it took 43 minutes of installation before I could start the game.  The Last Of Us Remastered (a 50GB game) starts 1 minute 40 seconds after you put the disc in the first time.

That's why I'm saying, don't drink the Koolaid.  Check for yourself.  Go to a friend's house and compare the experience, and the games or lack of.

My 8th gen collection

also, dont get me started on the console bootup times my friggin pc boots faster than the xbo

People that don´t use the Kinect and complain about the UI I can undertand.

You guys are doing it wrong.

As much MS changed the console throught out the year the fact is that browsing using the controler pad is one decade behind touch screen, and it can´t compete with mouse+keyboard on PC.

Selecting your option item by item is slow no matter what Sony or Microsoft do. Voice comands (specialy if they are natural language) are a welcome feature that I hope it to get more atention.

IMHO Sony financial woes have tied their hands hands this 2014, they basicaly wasted their momento from last year DMR/Resolutiongate. Going into the second year none will talked about how evil Microsoft was with the TV,TV,TV and 24h online check.

ICStats said:

This is a poor quality video, but it shows what I mean about the stores.  This was 9 months after XB1/PS4 launch.  XB1 had 67 titles on it's store, and PS4 had 125 titles.  Even when the guy removes all the indies, there are still 75 games which is more than XB1 had including it's indies.

The store is just nicer to use as well which you can see visually, it has more categorization, sorting, fitltering.  One thing you'll notice is the XB1 doesn't show you the price of games, or if you've bought them or anything, until you click on them.  Hopefully these will get improved over time, but it's been 1 year already.

I think the PS4 user experience has better touches almost everywhere, from the time I've spent on it anyway.  I got Halo: MCC disc this week; it took 43 minutes of installation before I could start the game.  The Last Of Us Remastered (a 50GB game) starts 1 minute 40 seconds after you put the disc in the first time.

That's why I'm saying, don't drink the Koolaid.  Check for yourself.  Go to a friend's house and compare the experience, and the games or lack of.

I don´t think most people spend much time browsing the store looking for a hidden gem. I´ve read many Indie devs saing that if they don´t get first week highlights on the front page the game is dead and doomed for ever(Indie Game the Movie comes to mind).

I, for exemple, don´t browse unless I´m looking for a game that I don´t know the name, which is rarely this days. I´ve been doing less and less browsing even on PC, thanks to Amazon like tools "You might also like".

PS: And 43min?!!! It took me less time to download the 15GB multiplay update. But It´s now clear that MCC was a rushed multstudio effort to meet this hollydays season. Integration was realy shabby, at least individual game performance is good enouth. 

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:

As much MS changed the console throught out the year the fact is that browsing using the controler pad is one decade behind touch screen, and it can´t compete with mouse+keyboard on PC.

Selecting your option item by item is slow no matter what Sony or Microsoft do. Voice comands (specialy if they are natural language) are a welcome feature that I hope it to get more atention.

IMHO Sony financial woes have tied their hands hands this 2014, they basicaly wasted their momento from last year DMR/Resolutiongate. Going into the second year none will talked about how evil Microsoft was with the TV,TV,TV and 24h online check.

MS did it wrong, by creating a UI which tried to make a peripheral device essential to its operation.

The only buzz MS has going in to 2015 is dumping kinect, dropping the price, and Halo MCC. And none of that has really got people excited other than Halo fans. People bought thses consoles in 2014 with expectations that 2015 would be a delivery year on new gen only games game excellence. Both companies have much to prove and need to deliver next year.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I am enjoying mine and never regretted buying it at launch. The present is great and the future only looks better.

Dark_Feanor said:

Kinect is an optional accessory for Xbox One now.  They're going to have to make the user experience good without it.

We'll see about who has momentum.  Where's the games after November 2014?  Phil spencer has commented how he has too many games for October 2015.  That's wonderful for next year's holidays, but I want to see some dates for (good) exclusives coming out before next fall.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
VanceIX said:
ICStats said:

The comment at 4:00 is so spot on.

4:00 - "The best thing about having a PS4 is not having to use an Xbox One. The whole experience is just so much nicer. The Xbox One UI is still not quite there yet and not having to deal with that is one of the best things."

As an owner of both I couldn't agree more, Xbox One users have it bad and they don't know it.

I really wish sometimes that I could take some of the XB1 guys on here, show them the consoles side by side, show them how clunky the Xbox One is compared to the PS4's experience; and how amazingly empty and shit their store is compared to the PS4's.

Not sure if trolling, both of the UIs are fairly dry, seeing as that PS4 is all over the place with content and the One is full of ads. Also, the One makes up for the PS4 in terms of content by having (currently) higher rated exclusives in the store.

Really, I don't think anyone is missing out on anything (either that, or both fanbases are missing out, since the UI for both is still evolving).

Are you trolling?  I much prefer the PS4's UI, and the store is fast and has a lot more content.  The Xbox One's store is like going back in time to the original PS3 Store (shudder).  XB1 UI is worse than Xbox 360's UI.

Also i really disagree about the content too.  The grass is not as green on Xbox One as some would like you to believe.

Let's wait and see if they do one about the Xbox One.  I'm sure it will be a lot less positive.

Called it.  Gamespot ripped the Xbox One to shreds.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-the-year-one-review/1100-6423669/

My 8th gen collection

Knack, Killzone and Infamous are must have exclusives imo. Corrupt videogame journalists think of course different