By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What would you name Nintendo's next system?

What's in a name?  Give me what counts, (the inside of the console, which is) a powerful machine on par with the competition.  Remove any excuse from 3rd parties as much as possible, and the power issue would be a major one. 

If 3rd parties still don't want to bring their AAA games to Ninty, then give Retro the freedom to make a new IP  that features "realism", and that could attract the 3rd party MARKET, which in turn could attract 3rd parties again.  

Nintendo has to stop turning the other cheek and fight back, a powerful console should always be an automatic checkmark on their to-do list.  Nintendo is synonymous with games,, they should never cede any segment of the gaming market, when it is their primary business in comparison to MSony.  But if they continue this path of "weak consoles" they have to aim even lower than their launch prices and start at $199 for a NintendOnly box.

Around the Network

The Wii doesn't have the brand power that it really ought to. So I would avoid that

Since I honestly believe the next Nintendo console will be a traditional home console as always (launch in 2018, 50-100% more powerful than the PS4, yadayada), Nintendo Revolution I think is brilliant; it would give Nintendo a launching point for some amazing marketing. They could enter the next gen with some attitude as well surrounding that, a sort of throwback to the early N64 ads. With that kind of "you gotta problem with that?" attitude, they could wear their distinctiveness on their sleeve as a promotion rather than a distraction. I think taking the badass presentation from most of the Smash Bros trailers would be a good idea; even Mario looks like an absolute boss in those. Plus, show off the huge variety of Nintendo's IP.

This is a somewhat rough slogan, but imagine a trailer showing all that off with attitude and ending with:

"It's time to change it up. Are you in?" (Or you could use N a la "Get N or Get Out")

Nuvendil said:
The Wii doesn't have the brand power that it really ought to. So I would avoid that

Since I honestly believe the next Nintendo console will be a traditional home console as always (launch in 2018, 50-100% more powerful than the PS4, yadayada), Nintendo Revolution I think is brilliant; it would give Nintendo a launching point for some amazing marketing. They could enter the next gen with some attitude as well surrounding that, a sort of throwback to the early N64 ads. With that kind of "you gotta problem with that?" attitude, they could wear their distinctiveness on their sleeve as a promotion rather than a distraction. I think taking the badass presentation from most of the Smash Bros trailers would be a good idea; even Mario looks like an absolute boss in those. Plus, show off the huge variety of Nintendo's IP.

This is a somewhat rough slogan, but imagine a trailer showing all that off with attitude and ending with:

"It's time to change it up. Are you in?" (Or you could use N a la "Get N or Get Out")

For Nintendo's sake I would really hope its more then 50%-100% the power of the PS4 if its launching in 2018 :/

Ultra Nintendo or Ultra Nintendo Entertainment System. I think it isn't a good idea to use the Wii brand again.

the "New" Nintendo Entertainment System :P

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Nuvendil said:

For Nintendo's sake I would really hope its more then 50%-100% the power of the PS4 if its launching in 2018 :/

That was just me throwing out a number, it would be great if it was more.  However, law of diminishing returns is eroding the value of ridiculous upgrades. 
http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/polygon-count-diminishing-returns-consoles.jpeg this is a good illustration.  Also, 100% is still doubling the power which is still a pretty big upgrade and the competition would have to go *way* beyond that to get a noticeable difference that would catch the eye at a glance.  But it really comes down to tech prices and how low they go.  It could be far more powerful if tech prices continue to tumble. 

There can be only one answer. The logical successor to the Nintendo Wii, should be the Nintendo Poo.

Joking aside, I like the idea of calling it the "N64".

My 8th gen collection

wii dream

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Not Wii U

Or "Nii" as in new/neo Wii

NVR:nintendo virtual reality

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m