By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Gaming Magazines... What's the deal?

Does anybody still read these?  I'm really not sure how gaming magazines can still survive with the internet around.  If the info isn't stale by the time the mag comes out, then it'll be lifted that same day and pasted everywhere. Were it not for the demographics it would be different, but asside from the youngest of gamers, who is there that games, but wouldn't go online for any gaming info they needed?

Discuss 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

I still get 'em even though most of the info I already know...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Whoa!

I was just thinking about that yesterday for a while.  A friend, or acquaintance stopped by, and I happened to be on this site when he said hello.  I showed him this site, told him how it keeps track of all the sales and everything.  He's younger than me, like 16.  He said, "Oh yeah, I read about the sales of the Wii and PS3 in some magazines!  I didn't know they had websites for this kind of stuff."

I talked to him, and it's like he was unaware of gaming news on the internet.  He wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but I figured he'd be interested in gaming news online for the fastest info, but apparently he reads gaming magazines and hears about stuff that way.

I guess, for some people, the internet is just for MySpace and Youtube, and they get the rest of their information from watching TV and reading magazines.  Younger teenagers maybe, I dunno...it appears there are still people that don't browse the internet thoroughly.

I see gaming magazines every now and then, and it's interesting to read such info all compiled into a nice, easy-to-read, image-filled format...but it's basically stuff I already know, or perhaps missed while browsing.  For the latest, greatest news, nothing beats the intertubes.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

well i still subscribe to them and it is having all the info in one nice spot benkenobi but usually i do find out about new games and more often they are there to debunk any rumors i find on the internet

Wii ID: 3598-1817-7961-3393. PM me if you want an add

If it wasnt for MGS4, the PS3 is unnecessary

i still have one, because the specials and nice previews. And on top of that it has a very good site with the latest news, even sales from VG charts. I like the mix bit reading op my pc and reading on my toilet/ bath/ bed.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I just enjoy sitting down and reading a magazine, they also have very good reviews and previews, that are just as valid as anything that you would get on the internet. Plus, the OPM will now have a blu-ray demo disk. Although i think that this is a bit pointless now, if they secure demos before they are avaliable on the PSN I will be happy. Also, many magazines provide exclusive previews which can be quite hard to find on the internet.

add me

I only ever really liked one gaming Magazine, PCGamer. I dunno why, but the reviews were all solid, it was an interesting read, was very different to most other magazines. The majority of other magazines i read though were pretty... childish. It seemed obvious that the majority of them were aimed at 12-16 year olds, who have money to spend.

I still get mine monthly. I think somehow it's tradition, I read it since the n64 days and back then all the information i get came from that magazine, but I also prefer to read longer texts in a magazine instead of the internet, which means that I still buy it for the reviews now and because it concentrates all the important infos.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

i still buy hyper (aus mag) thoroughly love the humour in there, was sad to see cam leave to ign however

I run out once a month to track down the latest copy of Retro Gamer -- it's a UK magazine focusing on games of the 70's-90's, with some pretty in-depth articles about the early years of the industry. Barnes & Noble imports it to the US. Otherwise I rely on the 'net for all my current-gen news.