By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Gaming Magazines... What's the deal?

@elprincipe

The problem is that most internet sites are just as biased(if not more) as the magazines. More often than not, I have found that magazines are easier ways to get the truth about current events(or at least the closest to the truth).

Around the Network

I've subscribed to EGM for 10 plus years now....by far my favorite mag, all the others are wack... gotta love Hsu "Shoe" gotta love Crispin 2 of the BEST journalists around.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

if anyone has not read EGM they are missing out they bust out all the tough questions on the gaming big wigs. might i add they have some of the best jounalists around Hsu and Crispin.

MynameisGARY

I do occationally buy a PC gaming mag to read on the bus or train. Before I had high speed, unlimited internet i used to buy them all the time for game demo disks. I would happly buy a Wii based gaming mag if it had a demo disk as i can't download them anywhere. Why are there no demo disks on any Wii mags?

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

SilentWolf said:

@elprincipe

The problem is that most internet sites are just as biased(if not more) as the magazines. More often than not, I have found that magazines are easier ways to get the truth about current events(or at least the closest to the truth).

This is true.  I've read some horribly biased reviews on purportedly reputable sites such as Gamespot...so many, in fact, that I no longer even look at their reviews at all since they are worthless.  I don't think magazines are any better (for an excellent example realize that Game Informer, a magazine owned by Gamestop, a store dedicated to pushing the next big game, rated State of Emergency an 8.5/10).  However, the news portions of these sites are just as good as magazines, although usually what goes with the territory of video game "journalism" is poorly written tripe that does a passable-at-best job of describing said news.  So I'd say don't get your news from one source, and take everything written on sites like IGN or Gamespot with more than one grain of salt.

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

Around the Network
weezy said:
I've subscribed to EGM for 10 plus years now....by far my favorite mag, all the others are wack... gotta love Hsu "Shoe" gotta love Crispin 2 of the BEST journalists around.

I've got to disagree.  EGM probably still is the best game mag out there, but it has sucked for a long time.  Hsu is a sorry excuse for a journalist -- even in a field of video game journalists who cluster around the sorry level.  EGM used to acutally be a decent magazine back in the early '90s, with 300-page issues, four-person reviews of games and no insipid cartoons about the editor among other worthless junk. 

In Memoriam RVW Jr.

SSBB Friend Code = 5455-9050-8670 (PM me if you add so I can add you!) 

Tetris Party Friend Code = 116129046416 (ditto)

im a little drunk right now...but elprincipe you'sa clown  Dan is the man quit your damn hatin sucka fish.

Dan is a straight up journalist,he admits his wrongs and hes "keeps it real"...quit your clowning son

EGM is by far the BEST mag. out there

dont make be sick poo(my avatar) on you. he will kick your arse

MynameisGARY

PCGamer is my favourite magazine... but it is expensive :S

There aren't that many professional Amiga magazines left, I am currently subscribed to Total Amiga Magazine, this because of their exclusive in depth interviews, reviews and tutorials. But like you said for the latest news the online efforts are more than sufficient, professional quality articles are however very rare.

Last month I received the last issue of Total Amiga though as its operations is being taken over by long running Amiga Future, which was previously German only (the real Amiga Plus spin-off, although afterwards another unrelated German mag has been re-named AmigaPlus). BTW the longest running still alive Amiga magazine must be Amiga Magazin, which started publishing since 1986.

4 best:

http://www.amigafuture.de (English, German)

http://www.amiga-magazin.de (German)

http://amigapower.free.fr/ (French)

http://www.bitplane.it/ (Italian) 

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

elprincipe said:
SilentWolf said:

@elprincipe

This is true. I've read some horribly biased reviews on purportedly reputable sites such as Gamespot...so many, in fact, that I no longer even look at their reviews at all since they are worthless. I don't think magazines are any better (for an excellent example realize that Game Informer, a magazine owned by Gamestop, a store dedicated to pushing the next big game, rated State of Emergency an 8.5/10). However, the news portions of these sites are just as good as magazines, although usually what goes with the territory of video game "journalism" is poorly written tripe that does a passable-at-best job of describing said news. So I'd say don't get your news from one source, and take everything written on sites like IGN or Gamespot with more than one grain of salt.

I  can agree with that.