By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: 'What can games learn from film? Nothing'

Teeqoz said:
KLAMarine said:
Teeqoz said:

"What the other companies are doing makes business sense,” he says. “But it’s boring. The same games appear on every system."

Sounds more like he was sharing his opinion.

An arrogant opinion.

So if we opinionate that a game, book, or movie is boring for example, is that an arrogant opinion?

Around the Network

I wonder what Miyamoto can learn from his past mistakes. Also; given his recent statement on how they're going to focus on spin-off's and such, I find it funny that he of all people berates others for lack of variation and being boring. Miyamoto is allergic to taking risks and stepping outside of his (albeit impressive) safe zone.

This reminds me of the UNITY thread, where certain people saw the industry heading in only two possible directions, one being Nintendo's direction and the other being Hollywood. It is my personal belief that neither direction is terribly exciting or healthy for the industry as a whole on the long run.

Mummelmann said:
I wonder what Miyamoto can learn from his past mistakes. Also; given his recent statement on how they're going to focus on spin-off's and such, I find it funny that he of all people berates others for lack of variation and being boring. Miyamoto is allergic to taking risks and stepping outside of his (albeit impressive) safe zone.

This reminds me of the UNITY thread, where certain people saw the industry heading in only two possible directions, one being Nintendo's direction and the other being Hollywood. It is my personal belief that neither direction is terribly exciting or healthy for the industry as a whole on the long run.

What mistakes are you talking about?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

KLAMarine said:
Teeqoz said:
KLAMarine said:

Sounds more like he was sharing his opinion.

An arrogant opinion.

So if we opinionate that a game, book, or movie is boring for example, is that an arrogant opinion?

If I opinionate that everyone that does it different than me does it boring, then that's arrogant. He's also made comments on "The PS4 and the XBO being nearly the same, with the same games" even when they both get just as many exclusives as the Wii U, in addition to multiplats. Overall, his statements ooze of this "My path is the only correct one"-mentality.

I'm suprised by how people don't understand what he's saying. He isn't completely disregarding story or narrative, what he's trying to get across is that a game shouldn't be made with story as the driving force. The gameplay should what makes you want to play it, can their be a story, of course there can he didn't say there couldn't but if you use gameplay just as means to get to the next part of the story that's a problem.

I'll compare Ocarina of time against Assaisians Creed 3, just as an EXAMPLE. If you took the story out of Ocarina of time you still have a decent game with a puzzle solving combat style of gameplay, and a open world to explore. If you did the same to Assasian's Creed 3 I'd say it suffer more heavily since I often felt the combat and stealth were lacking.(though some may still enjoy it without the story).

Story is important in games I enjoy it myself, but gameplay and design is what's going to make me play the game again, it's what makes the expierence hat Miyamoto was talking about here.

Around the Network

You're right Shiggy, the competitor's platforms and games are just, sooo, BORING!

Now where's my SSB4, LoZ: A Link to the Future, Mario Kart 9, Pokemon A & B (with C releasing a year later), Wii (insert subject here), and NSMB U2 starring Bono?

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Wright said:
Soundwave said:

Most video game designers suck at writing a story. 

If they could write a great story, why wouldn't they be working in Hollywood doing blow off three hot girls every night? It's because they don't have that level of talent. So they're working in a rinky dink game studio next to 300 pound "Billy" for 14 hours a day. 

That doesn't make sense. Hollywood isn't were great writers strive to be, to prove they are great writers.

Any talented writer would choose a gig at a movie studio or TV studio over a freaking video game company. Lets be real. 

If you put the Metal Gear Solid story onto film in a literal, point-by-point sense it would get laughed out of the theaters.

If you were say a incredibly talented basketball player, would you rather play in the NBA or some crappy D-league in Turkey? 

People who have (real) talent in storytelling will always be drawn first and foremost to options outside of video games. 

I certainly wish many games were less inspired by movies.

zorg1000 said:
Mummelmann said:

What mistakes are you talking about?

The fact that they were caught completely off guard by extended development cycles and ended up with several droughts, making niche titles to encourage hardware sales, being way too late in getting Indies on board, focusing too little on online in games, relying on the same franchises that failed to do much for the Gamecube, to name a few.

Soundwave said:

Any talented writer would choose a gig at a movie studio or TV studio over a freaking video game company. Lets be real. 

If you put the Metal Gear Solid story onto film in a literal, point-by-point sense it would get laughed out of the theaters.

If you were say a incredibly talented basketball player, would you rather play in the NBA or some crappy D-league in Turkey? 

People who have (real) talent in storytelling will always be drawn first and foremost to options outside of video games. 

Any talented writer chooses to be on a movie studio because he's talented beforehand. No one accepts a "newbie" writer because he seems to be talented.

Writers chose Hollywood to make money, not to prove they're great writers. You're helping my point.