By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread! *Greatest Games Event 2014* (The Top 500 Games Will Now Be Chosen)

#50. The Guardian Legend (NES)

TGL is a great action game on the NES, one of the first games I can remember that successfully blends multiple genres together. It was a space shoot em up mixed in with large portions of Zelda inspired action. The story pretty much sucks, but the game is fun to play, easy to get into, and controls great. Any time I break out my NES, this is one of the games I return to the most.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
Here's a quick and easy hint for my game #50:

Second game of a series featuring a ninja named Ryu.

Ninja Gaiden!

I'm surprised I didn't go bald trying to finish the original on NES...

Neodegenerate said:

No it isn't.  I am hoping that 2015 gives us the "true start" of it.  I was initially pissed off about the Bloodbourne delay this morning, but the more I think about it the better it sounds to me.  With the AC:Unity fiasco going on at the same time it makes sense for delays to keep happening until the game is well polished and ready for a sound release.

I almost didn't include any gen 8 game on the list, but when you already have ~200 hours into a game that came out a couple months ago, it deserves a spot.

Nintendo's games are good this gen, but that's what happens when you have a head start. Next year will see games that take advantage of what the Xbox One/PlayStation 4 are truly capable of, as well as a healthy smattering of Nintendo exclusives. 

In other words, next year SHOULD put this year to shame.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

TruckOSaurus said:
Here's a quick and easy hint for my game #50:

Second game of a series featuring a ninja named Ryu.

Dead or Alive 2?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Here's my hint for #50:

A console remake of the first game in this franchise, which is getting its fourth installment next week.

Geometry Wars?

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
S.Peelman said:

Yes, it's finally starting!

Tomorrow is game #50 eh?

Let me start off the guessing-game then, with a long hint and quite a hard game to guess ;

-----
Game #50

Back when this game was released on the biggest European competitor of the generation's winner, graphics were still so primitive that the things on screen barely represented what they were supposed to be. This led to people using things like the box-art as a guide to know what they were actually playing and what the characters and environments were actually meant to look like. Publishers could of course just print whatever they wanted and thereby change the whole 'face' or 'theme' of the game on such box-arts.

This game in particular, ended up with a completely different theme in the United States compared to what it was supposed to be in Europe even though the theme in Europe was actually very stereotypical USA!

Your hints are diabolical, Peelman

Is it an Intellivision game?

Last year this game actually got guessed by someone. I think by Smeags, but I'm not sure. I was shocked myself. There isn't really any way to make it easier, because I don't think that there's more than a handful of people that know this game given it's age. In fact, the first 5 games of my list are probably extremely hard to guess, and I included them because of their meaning to me personally.

You are correct about the generation this game is in, though not the console it was on. The console I mean is the Atari 2600's biggest competitor in Europe, the Magnavox Odyssey2, called the Phillips G7000 in Europe (and a variety of combinations of those names in other regions of the world).

@ your hint:

Far Cry? After a bit of thinking .

Here's the hint for my #50 game: it's already on the post. Go check it out. I really lament putting that game into #50 because it's really good, but I have a fondness for the previous games in the series.

S.Peelman said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Your hints are diabolical, Peelman

Is it an Intellivision game?

Last year this game actually got guessed by someone. I think by Smeags, but I'm not sure. I was shocked myself. There isn't really any way to make it easier, because I don't think that there's more than a handful of people that know this game given it's age. In fact, the first 5 games of my list are probably extremely hard to guess, and I included them because of their meaning to me personally.

You are correct about the generation this game is in, though not the console it was on. The console I mean is the Atari 2600's biggest competitor in Europe, the Magnavox Odyssey2, called the Phillips G7000 in Europe (and a variety of combinations of those names in other regions of the world).

@ your hint:

Far Cry? After a bit of thinking .

Is it UFO?

@ your guess: correct :) it's Far Cry Instincts, for Xbox

50. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. First impression 8, replay 6, technical 8. Nintendo/Retro Studios, GameCube, 2004

Multi-way tie against the near losers: Okami, No More Heroes, Kid Icarus Uprising, and Kirby Triple Deluxe. It creates a Metroid Prime sandwich for the entire top 50 list (spoiler alert).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Peggle. A game that makes heroin look like a casual hobby...