By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How many people are excited about amiibo functionality?

Are you excited about amiibos?

Yes 102 44.54%

No 90 39.30%

I'm just here to troll...so... 35 15.28%

Total:227

I was, for collection but some of the production pieces are so underwhelming compared to the prototype.

Currently playing

IOS - Knights of the Old Republic, Monster Hunter Freedom HD and Idolmaster Festa.

Steam-NovisNoah, Uplay-Limpanot, Origins-NovisNoah, PSN-NovisNoah, NNID-NovisNoah

Around the Network
phaedruss said:
anonymunchy said:
gergroy said:

So, Nintendo is starting to get specific about what the ammibo's are going to do.

for smash bros, it will produce a bot  that you can play against and level up.

for hyrule warriors, it will give you random material or rupees, with link giving a weapon.

For mario kart, it will give your mii racer character costumes that it can wear.

So, are people excited about this?  I know I originally thought that there would be some potential here for nintendo... But none what they are doing sounds remotely interesting to me. So how many people out there are excited about amiibos?

These are only the specifics of what the Smash Bros amiibo are going to do for other games. Not what other game specific amiibo are going to do. The functionality we are seeing in Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors is secondary to its primary funtion as a trainable npc. When they release a Mario Kart 8 line of amiibo they will have a primary function for Mario Kart 8 and limited functionality in other amiibo compatible games.

As a side note, you only need to scan an amiibo once to unlock the skin, so if someone comes to your house with an amiibo you don't have, you get the Mii Suit as well. (from what I understand)

Wouldn't say I'm particularly excited about all of this, but I will end up buying a 1 or 2 from each game that supports them.

So wait you think there are going to be Mario kart mario amiibos and then a separate one for each other game? That would be horrible.

Probably not for each game that supports amiibo, but there will be different lines of amiibo made for different games, with different functionality. At least, that's how I understood their explanations of amiibo.

I am more interested in the potential than in what was annouced so far. Only they being Smash sparring partners is kinda cool.

I'm less excited by the amiibo functionality itself than I am by what it's likely to mean.

Specifically, games being updated with more content in one way or another. For example, consider Hyrule Warriors. In addition to all of the great DLC already on the way/already here, it's been confirmed that Link's amiibo will unlock a new weapon in the game. And Zelda will, too... although it's not yet clear whether it's a different weapon, or just the same weapon for Link with a different amiibo.

Now consider that Toon Link will undoubtedly also get an amiibo. We could very well get another weapon inspired by Toon Link (Spinner is inspired by TP Link, which is the Link that the Smash 4 Link is based on, after all). And Sheik and Ganondorf, too (both of which currently only have one weapon type in the game). And it's possible that alternate versions of the amiibos in card form will be cheaper while still enabling much of the same content... or they could open the functionality up to direct eShop purchase for those who don't want to buy the amiibo.

All that extra content is a possibility, and probably wouldn't happen if not for amiibos. And this is likely to happen across a variety of games. I'd expect most Amiibos to have costumes for Mario Kart 8 (and if they're updating the game with that sort of content, maybe they'll also add other stuff). I'm betting that Captain Toad will get amiibo stages (levels unlocked by the amiibo, inspired by the respective character).

And that's what I'm excited for - because if they're going to keep updating games with more amiibo functionality, they might as well also add other stuff along the way.

I'm also excited that Link seems to be the best choice of amiibo for unlocking substantial things, so far, since it's the one I was planning on buying.

POE said:
pokoko said:
I do not understand why anyone would be excited about Amiibo.

Let's just be honest--it's Capcom level DLC at a ridiculous price hooked to a low-grade figurine. It's expensive horse armor.

Should have been a dedicated game for it, even if it was a free title accessible only with the purchase of an Amiibo. There should have been something there to draw people in, to make them want to play and enjoy themselves and possibly buy more figurines. They could even have made Smash the hub somehow.

Hopefully they're working on something substantial and meaningful that they simply aren't ready to announce yet. Otherwise, it's just a wasted opportunity.

How can you say that? 
You pay only once and use it on almost every game that comes out.

3 games is now almost every game that comes out?

Around the Network
gergroy said:
POE said:
pokoko said:
I do not understand why anyone would be excited about Amiibo.

Let's just be honest--it's Capcom level DLC at a ridiculous price hooked to a low-grade figurine. It's expensive horse armor.

Should have been a dedicated game for it, even if it was a free title accessible only with the purchase of an Amiibo. There should have been something there to draw people in, to make them want to play and enjoy themselves and possibly buy more figurines. They could even have made Smash the hub somehow.

Hopefully they're working on something substantial and meaningful that they simply aren't ready to announce yet. Otherwise, it's just a wasted opportunity.

How can you say that? 
You pay only once and use it on almost every game that comes out.

3 games is now almost every game that comes out?

I count 5, and Hyrule Warriors is not included there.