By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How many people are excited about amiibo functionality?

Are you excited about amiibos?

Yes 102 44.54%

No 90 39.30%

I'm just here to troll...so... 35 15.28%

Total:227

I tried to be excited about it, but the functionality is lacking.

The supports they added (to make the figures more durable) also take away from the visual appeal (WiiFit trainer's cast, Link's yellow pole).

Around the Network

you all should think of it this way. How pumped would you be if you bought a bit of dlc for one game and it gave you dlc for 4 other games? CROSS. GAME. DLC. That's actually pretty innovative. I can't think of another instance that this has happened.

Don't care about Amiibo's. I'd rather have them as higher quality statues.

I do not understand why anyone would be excited about Amiibo.

Let's just be honest--it's Capcom level DLC at a ridiculous price hooked to a low-grade figurine. It's expensive horse armor.

Should have been a dedicated game for it, even if it was a free title accessible only with the purchase of an Amiibo. There should have been something there to draw people in, to make them want to play and enjoy themselves and possibly buy more figurines. They could even have made Smash the hub somehow.

Hopefully they're working on something substantial and meaningful that they simply aren't ready to announce yet. Otherwise, it's just a wasted opportunity.

Weren't most gamers against Dlc on disc since capcom start this trend? Cause when I saw Nintendo direct this afternoon, the first thing that came to my mind was Dlc in disc but unlocked by a figurine you have to buy instead of buying from the online store. Sure one figurine, unlocks in more than one game, but wanting to have more Dlc means buying more figurines. To me its just Dlc but presented in a different way to get it.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network

I am. It´s like an infinite DLC.

pokoko said:
I do not understand why anyone would be excited about Amiibo.

Let's just be honest--it's Capcom level DLC at a ridiculous price hooked to a low-grade figurine. It's expensive horse armor.

Should have been a dedicated game for it, even if it was a free title accessible only with the purchase of an Amiibo. There should have been something there to draw people in, to make them want to play and enjoy themselves and possibly buy more figurines. They could even have made Smash the hub somehow.

Hopefully they're working on something substantial and meaningful that they simply aren't ready to announce yet. Otherwise, it's just a wasted opportunity.

How can you say that? 
You pay only once and use it on almost every game that comes out.

super_etecoon said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
super_etecoon said:
Hey guys...if Amiibo truly added the functionality you're looking for (new modes, levels, etc), don't you think the same people would be complaining about Nintendo requiring you to purchase physical DLC to play the real game? It's kind of a fine line that Nintendo has to walk here between giving you a bang for your buck, and not holding your wallet ransom just to play the game.

Basically yeah they shouldn't have been made in the first place.

Yep...I'm pretty sure many of the people unhappy with the Amiibo implementation just aren't happy at all with the idea, regardless of what Nintendo had done with them.  I can appreciate that opinion...but I also realize Nintendo is attempting to read the market and cater to areas where they think they can excel.  While many would want them to try to join the Sony/MS hardware war, they're acutely aware that they don't have a leg to stand on in that space.  Competing with Skylanders and Disney Infinity, however, makes more sense for the brand, their image, and their wallet.   

Nah, it's just that if this all they're gonna do with them they shoulda made em like $4-$5. For a dollar less than their current price, you could get 16 tracks, 10+ vehicle parts, 6 characters, and some alt skins in MK8. That there is an amazing deal, amiibos far from it considering you'll need to buy a bunch of different ones to get the most out of them, to the point where you coulda just bought a new game instead.

I'm disappointed with the Amiibo at the moment. The Smash integration is good, I can see how that will work, now, and I might even get a couple. But if you don't have Smash, I think buying an Amiibo is just not worth the meagre added functionality for MK8 and Hyrule. I was hoping we'd see bot racers that we could train, and then pit ourselves against them in the same way we get the staff ghosts.

Hopefully, there'll be more games coming out with stronger integration - and as some have suggested already, a Skylanders style game where the Amiibo is the central theme.

I think the final design of the Amiibo is terrible. They should have modified the poses of the characters to make them more robust, instead of adding semi-transparent bits of plastic to reinforce them. The poses didn't have to be the same as the original character artwork. Clearly, it hadn't been thought through from the beginning.

Nothing amazing. Maybe I'll get a Link or Zelda figure for my daughter but thats it. A toy with some twist.