By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Did Bayonetta 2 do well? (Updated with EU numbers)

How much will Bayonetta 2 sell LT?

Less than 500k! 116 17.85%

500k+ 99 15.23%

600k+ 59 9.08%

700k+ 60 9.23%

800k+ 57 8.77%

900k+ 37 5.69%

More than 1 million! 220 33.85%

Total:648
chapset said:
Don't forget that bayonetta 2 came with the first one included so it's not very impressive when you think they have to recoup the budget of 2 games.

Except they didn't have to develop Bayonetta 1; it was done, they just had to port it, and porting from PS3/360 to Wii U is not expensive.

Around the Network

It's a great game as I mentioned in another thread -- but it's a pretty damn weird game, lol.

Bayonetta is never going to be something that appeals hugely to the mainstream gamer. It's too out there and bizarre that the average COD-Madden loving gamer is going to be baffled by it in many cases I think.

It's a hardcore (a real hardcore game), otaku-lovers dream. Combined with the Wii U not having the biggest userbase and generally being fixated on colorful mascot-based Nintendo IP ... I'd say that number if true is OK all things considered.

Nintendo should go ahead and greenlight Bayonetta 3. If Fusion (the next Nintendo platform?) has a userbase of 60-70 million at the end (and I'm being conservative) combined they should be able to double B2's sales at least. And they could re-release Bayo 1 + 2 on that system too for extra sales.

I don't know if Nintendo should purchase Bayonetta IP wholesale, but something needs to happen. Bayo can't keep jumping from one platform(s) to another. The fanbase needs to be able to be confident and comfortable concerning where the next game will be. For Nintendo, I think it would be a decent purchase. For Platinum/Sega/Whoever owns the IP, they need to make up their minds.

outlawauron said:
Rab said:

At the time of games release

Wii U install base about 7 million, 360 + PS3 install base about 70 million

Userbase can have an impact on legs, but it doesn't impact FW sales. Bayonetta's audience is smaller than the Wii U's install base.

10 times the install base would make a difference 

askel50 said:
Jumpin said:
askel50 said:
bunchanumbers said:
I may not know all the technicalities of the game, but it was made by a 3rd party developer. I guess it would be a second party game made by a 3rd party developer? Either way its still a good game, and that's all that matters.

Nintendo doesn't own the IP, it's not 2nd party. It's a founded/published 3rd party game with some exclusivity deal.

It's not just an exclusive deal, it was produced and published by Nintendo. It's effectively a Nintendo game.

Nintendo doesn't own the game more than microsoft own the first mass effect (or ryse or sunset). They just funded and published it. They didn't but the IP.

Bayonetta 2 is a Nintendo game. Bayonetta as an IP is from SEGA. Final point.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
No it didn't. It won't have good legs and I still think it will never reach 1m.

200K copies more for the rest of the year. It should have the legs of The Wonderful 101, 100K copies at the very least next year, 550K by the end of 2015. That's how I think it's going to do. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

It will probably only sell 400,000 and SMB will take all the shine.

Metallox said:
askel50 said:
Jumpin said:
askel50 said:
bunchanumbers said:
I may not know all the technicalities of the game, but it was made by a 3rd party developer. I guess it would be a second party game made by a 3rd party developer? Either way its still a good game, and that's all that matters.

Nintendo doesn't own the IP, it's not 2nd party. It's a founded/published 3rd party game with some exclusivity deal.

It's not just an exclusive deal, it was produced and published by Nintendo. It's effectively a Nintendo game.

Nintendo doesn't own the game more than microsoft own the first mass effect (or ryse or sunset). They just funded and published it. They didn't but the IP.

Bayonetta 2 is a Nintendo game. Bayonetta as an IP is from SEGA. Final point.

They should go ahead and buy the IP. They bought the Fatal Frame IP I believe, why not Bayonetta. I think Sega washed their hands of Platinum Games years ago so I doubt they care. 

Rab said:
outlawauron said:
Rab said:

At the time of games release

Wii U install base about 7 million, 360 + PS3 install base about 70 million

Userbase can have an impact on legs, but it doesn't impact FW sales. Bayonetta's audience is smaller than the Wii U's install base.

10 times the install base would make a difference 

It really doesn't. Unless you're talking about a 5-10% difference which doesn't mean much. How much of the target audience is on the platform is far more important than overall size. Look at the Vita in Japan. 

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Soundwave said:

They should go ahead and buy the IP. They bought the Fatal Frame IP I believe, why not Bayonetta. I think Sega washed their hands of Platinum Games years ago so I doubt they care. 

KT owns the IP, Nintendo owns all instalments of the game as they fund the development. Its a weird co-ownership... thing. Kind of similar to the nebulous ownership rules of Pokemon. There's a high chance that the same is now true of Bayonetta. SEGA may still own the IP (which isn't even clear anymore) but Nintendo owns the games under the IP, and greenlights any development or lack thereof.