By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that completely surprised you on how good they were...

When I say this, I mean you bought a game blindly with very little or no prior knowledge on how the game plays or what it's about, didn't play any previous installments in it's series, and you didn't know about the hype surrounding it. Here are my examples...

Bayonetta 1&2 - Never even HEARD of these games until July, and did little research on it. Only reason why I bought it is because it came in a 2 games for 1 deal. Boy am I happy I did, enjoying the hack and slash gameplay along with her connection to sorcery so far and can't wait to play part 2 (playing in the Peach oufit doesn't hurt either ).

Valkyria Chronicles - Found out about it playing Project X Zone and found out it has to do with WWII. ANYTHING WWII and with Video Games I know I am going to love. Later I found out to be a hidden gem in the PS3 library, and it became the main reason I want to rebuy a PSP (for it's sequels on it). My copy got stolen :-/ but will buy it again with any Black Friday specials.

Super Metroid - It was for $20 and I just finished Super Mario World and All-Stars as a 10 year old kid. Told my mom to buy it, and to this day it's the best $20 me or my family have ever spent on a game. I thought it was about some robot or a game like Mega Man. Had no idea Samus was a girl until I noticed when I died the person inside the suit had long hair and boobs (lol). I swear I think this game COMPLETELY changed how I viewed women as a so called "weaker" sex as a child.

Pokémon Blue Version - Truth be told all I knew about Pokémon at the time is that it got a 9.7 on IGN. I read about it REALLY loosely, and I thought it was about some Professors "pocket monsters" escaping, and I would have to catch them in some puzzle game. That professor was Professor Oak, and as soon as I was walking in town I was REALLY surprised it was an RPG. Needless to say I was blown away as a 13 year old teen playing it and I'm still of fan of the series today.

Fire Emblem (GBA) - Bought it because I wanted to see where Marth and Roy came from (since they were Melee characters), and neither were in the game. But I played and it didn't matter, soon as I directed Lyn to attack the bandit like an interactive chess game , my reaction was "hey the battle music and the animation is cool! lets do it again!". I was so hooked and since then its become my 2nd favorite Video game series.

Around the Network

Xenoblade-Only started playing it for the soundtrack, extremely impressed.

Metal Gear-A lot better than I though it would be.

Purchased Demon Souls when it first came out and it's still in my top 5 videos games of all time.

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Darksiders II. I really had no expectations going into the game (I hadn't played the first) and the atmosphere/gameplay blew me away. Owning it on Wii U helped because of the gamepad compatibility; there isn't anything much better than having a detailed mini map at your disposal in-game. One of the best hack n slash games I've ever played.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Though it has it's flaws, the gameplay in this game is amazingly good. If you're a fan of any stealth action games along the lines of MGS and SC, this is one of the best I've ever played. Not only is there main missions, but there is also tons of optional missions that can really absorb your time. Highly recommend this game.

Assassin's Creed IV. The 3rd was my first, and I really, really disliked it. There wasn't much about it that I didn't find boring. The fact that the final confrontation with Lee (the "final boss") was literally just a prolonged chase scene, and that your confrontation with your father is resolved by hitting him over the head with a bottle three times, is just pathetic and underwhelming. IV, on the other hand, has been very fun. Traveling to different areas requires you to use your pirate ship, and the world is really fleshed out with random encounters with other pirate and navy ships. The main character isn't a whiny idiot, and the islands are beautiful and fun to explore. Also, the elimination of the modern day levels really helped with the story's flow. III felt like a jumbled piece of garbage, while IV has felt much more like a full package.

Around the Network

Xenoblade blowed me away with the size of its world and dat soundtrack

Final Fantasy Tactics.

HesAPooka said:
Purchased Demon Souls when it first came out and it's still in my top 5 videos games of all time.

The same case here although i  bought it in 2012

1. Bayonetta
2. Vanquish
3. Megaman Battle Network 3
4. Dark Souls.
5. Persona 4: Golden

Epic Mickey
Sin & Punishment 2
Project Zero 2: Wii Edition