By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Can Nintendo Do To Appeal To The West?

OT im sorry but Disney would not benefit at ALL from this endeavor and right now Disney is the much bigger company than Ninty. The idea that Disney would approach Nintendo about this is laughable, not when they are already doing more than fine. So that leave Nintendo going to Disney to try and make it happen. Nintendo wont even swallow its pride and approach most 3rd parties. They going to do it to Disney? A company that would far less likely answer there phone? Nope.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Deeds said:
oniyide said:
Deeds said:

*snip*

*snip*

*snip*

yeah i was wondering about this whole competing thing? it doesnt make sense. It never made sense. It is just something that people made up to justify why a game doesnt do well on a Nintendo console. COD in no way competes with anything Nintendo puts on its system because it doesnt make anything like it. Assassin's Creed, Need for Speed, Resident Evil, Tekken. Its fallacy, hell there are LOT of genres that Ninty doesnt even touch. RPGs(western style) 3rd person shooters. FPSs, adventure/action games (ala TombRaider & Uncharted), fighting games (im putting it down because Smash plays very different than other fighters). Racing games (not kart) Sport sims.

If anything these games should do well since they otherwise wouldnt exist on Ninty console since Ninty isnt making those games anyway. As for your strategy. No Thats not a strategy. Its simply Ninty walking up to these guys giving them some money to produce a game FOR them. They are not for 3rd parties. I highly doubt these companies are going to Nintendo im sure its Nintendo going to THEM. No 3rd party is at the beck and call of Ninty. THey dotn need to be. I brought up Tekken and Resident Evil because they are two of the companies biggest series respectively. They put Tekken Tag on there and a Tekken game on 3ds...last year they both flopped and dont pretend it had anything to do with Smash there was enough distance in release where one wouldnt effect the other, hell the WIi U one hasnt even released yet. Funny how every Ninty system since N64 (GB series notwithstanding) has hosted a Resident Evil game or two. Now all of a sudden its not a good fit? interesting.

Nothing is a good fit on a console that is marketed with the skill of unpaid interns.  If the console's image was more favorable or orriented towards diversity, it would greatly increase sales of software in general.  Watch a PS4 commercial; they do a lot of work to make you associate PS4 with the multiplats and to see it in a favorable light.  Watch the Wii U commercials and it doesn't even give proper weight to Nintendo's own software AND presents the console in an embarrassing or confusing light. 

Marketing and image are the major problem and will hamstring any efforts.  Even if Nintendo had all the third party support it would make no difference.  Third parties lined up at the start of the gen; the support was there.  They left because people weren't buying the platform and there was no money in it.  And people weren't buying because the marketing was so horrendous that people were either ignorant of the Wii U's existence or confused about what it was.  And those few who saw the ads for it may have been detered from purchasing due to the poor display and terrible image the console was presented in. 

oniyide said:
OT im sorry but Disney would not benefit at ALL from this endeavor and right now Disney is the much bigger company than Ninty. The idea that Disney would approach Nintendo about this is laughable, not when they are already doing more than fine. So that leave Nintendo going to Disney to try and make it happen. Nintendo wont even swallow its pride and approach most 3rd parties. They going to do it to Disney? A company that would far less likely answer there phone? Nope.

I think Disney would be open to it. They have actually worked with Nintendo in the past several times (Mickey's Speedway USA on the N64, the GameCube had a Mickey game published by Nintendo, there are Disney themed, Nintendo recently published a Mickey Mouse game for the 3DS, etc.). This would just be more for Star Wars/Marvel properties. I think Nintendo also published Epic Mickey in Japan. 

I believe Disney also wants Mario in the Wreck It Ralph sequel. 

The idea of having their IP be "showcase" titles for an entire game platform I think holds appeal to Disney too, it would put their games on a pedestal rather than just being one in a sea of merchandised 3rd party games that flood the market. 

Soundwave said:
oniyide said:

I think Disney would be open to it. They have actually worked with Nintendo in the past several times (Mickey's Speedway USA on the N64, the GameCube had a Mickey game published by Nintendo, there are Disney themed, Nintendo recently published a Mickey Mouse game for the 3DS, etc.). This would just be more for Star Wars/Marvel properties. 

I believe Disney also wants Mario in the Wreck It Ralph sequel. 

The idea of having their IP be "showcase" titles for an entire game platform I think holds appeal to Disney too, it would put their games on pedestal rather than just being one in a sea of merchandised 3rd party games that flood the market. 

Why would Disney be open to it? They have NOTHING to gain from this arrangement. They already have a bunch of Marvel stuff coming down the pipe there is no way they would shelve it just to have stuff exclusively for systems that arent doing that hot anyway.  It would be insane. 

Put it on a pedestal? LOL Man they dont care about that. Its straight coporate. Trust me they WANT there games to flood the market in 3rd party thats where the money is at. And there properites are so big they never have to worry about being "lost" in the flood. Ever. 

And why keep bringing up Star Wars, you know thats all EA now?

oniyide said:
the_dengle said:

With the Wii they appealed to the West by being unabashedly Japanese. They should try it again some time.

No they appealed because of the wiimote. Nothing japanese about that. Hell outside of Nintendo there werent that much Japanese games that did gangbusters in the west anway. So im not sure where you are getting that from.

Wii would like to play

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
oniyide said:
the_dengle said:

With the Wii they appealed to the West by being unabashedly Japanese. They should try it again some time.

No they appealed because of the wiimote. Nothing japanese about that. Hell outside of Nintendo there werent that much Japanese games that did gangbusters in the west anway. So im not sure where you are getting that from.

Wii would like to play

nothing Japanese about that

Vena said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

1. They are not capable of supporting a single console, you can combine 3DS and Wii U first party releases and its not enough to support a single console on purely those games.  Also with the next console being more powerful there is gonna be even less of those games.

2. Third parties like Ubisoft/Acitivision/EA supported the Wii U at launch even though it was a pain in the ass to port games over, eventually they were like this isn't worth our time.  If Nintendo's console was x86, ie easy to port games over it wouldn't have to sell a lot to be profitable.  Don't use that GC arguement, I already refuted it in this thread, hell I already refuted a lot of what your saying, you should actually read the thread.

3. Also no duh developers want it easier to port games over?  Who cares if it throws away Nintendo's back catalog, their eshop support on the Wii U has been crap anyway and it is not a system selling feature.

Your mixing in too much of your personal hatred for third parties into this.

1. I never said purely on those games. They have other development channels, they have outsider developers who develop. With scalable form factor hardware that unifies their development channels, will also apply to the many developers who still produce games on the 3DS, they're not going to disappear. The point is that Nintendo produces considerably more games than any other developer for their systems, they dwarf the production of Sony and M$.

2. You haven't refuted anything with regards to the GameCube. Its literally the exact thing you're arguing for and it failed. Gamecube form factor discs are literally an irrelevant inconvenience and, as last gen showed us, not one that matters. X360 also needed multi-disc games from their third party developers, didn't seem to impede their support or FFXIII at all. GC and PS2 were both RISC tool sets on PPC chips, X360, PS3 and Wii were the same except the bizarre choice to use Cell with the PS3. Porting from Cell would have been harder than porting from GC to PS2 or the other way around. The GC was literally built to accomodate third parties and all the things that PS1 did right and that N64 did wrong.

3. The WiiU's eShop has been crap? I don't think you use the eShop. Your argument for homogenization is folly. You're basically arguing for "why do we even need multiple consoles".

The other thing to consider is that x86 sucks for mobile, small form-factor. If Nintendo wants to merge platform development channels they can't have two different chipsets and rulesets running as they do right now with the disconnected chipsets of the WiiU and the 3DS. x86 on a handheld would be a crapshoot with worse battery life than the Vita. PPC/ARM are far better for that, it also opens up their compatability to the much larger mobile market than the limited, self-destructive AAA development.

1. Even if you include these third party exclusives, ie Bayonetta 2,Wonderful 101 etc, their output is still not enough to support a console.

2. Storage does not play a factor?  Do you know why FF went from N64 to PS1...?  Storage plays a huge factor, PS3 got some exclusives, ie MGS4, based purely on its increased storage.  

3. No its crap, it pales in comparison to the Wii's and they can't even be bothered to include GC games, which btw the competition has done since last gen (PS2 games on PS3 and Xbox games on 360).  Once again this is not a system selling feature and they are lagging way behind.

I don't thnk they should combine anything, their home consoles sales are gonna drag down their mobile console sales.

oniyide said:
the_dengle said:
oniyide said:

Wii would like to play

Nothing japanese about two japanese men bowing in a japanese manner with japanese inspired music playing in the background. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p7uJp25BlE

Not at all japanese

KingdomHeartsFan said:

1. Even if you include these third party exclusives, ie Bayonetta 2,Wonderful 101 etc, their output is still not enough to support a console.

2. Storage does not play a factor?  Do you know why FF went from N64 to PS1...?  Storage plays a huge factor, PS3 got some exclusives, ie MGS4, based purely on its increased storage.  

3. No its crap, it pales in comparison to the Wii's and they can't even be bothered to include GC games, which btw the competition has done since last gen (PS2 games on PS3 and Xbox games on 360).  Once again this is not a system selling feature and they are lagging way behind.

I don't thnk they should combine anything, their home consoles sales are gonna drag down their mobile console sales.

1. Hu? I am talking about Capcom, Level 5, other Japanese devs. They produce for the 3DS, they won't disappear and they can continue producing. If Nintendo makes a scalable platform the only hurdle for developers that already develop for Nintendo and have mindshare on Nintendo hardware will be making an HD set of textures... or, in reality, just make HD textures that they down scale to the portable version. ARM is, for this reason, highly likely as it is a very scalable architecture.

2. MGS4 wasn't exclusive because of storage. FFXIII needed multiple discs (I'm looking at them right now), didn't prevent SE from going multiplat with the brand. This is the point. The GCs slightly smaller discs are no different from X360/PS3 disc disparity. The N64 had VASTLY different problems with its production channels... 

3. The VC? Sure. The actual eShop in its entirety? Fuck no.

There won't be a distinction, why would their home console sales apply to what would still be a mobile console... with more games?

mii-gamer said:
oniyide said:
the_dengle said:
oniyide said:

Wii would like to play

Nothing japanese about two japanese men bowing in a japanese manner with japanese inspired music playing in the background. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p7uJp25BlE

Not at all japanese

Wow, I forgot about that infomercial.  Too bad that attitude and diverse image didn't last long in their marketing material.  Wii could have been both a financial success and helped build a stronger Nintendo and Wii brand.  But alas, instead we entered the Wii U with...this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbGJieRaH0 and worse...this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsbeQeiwW9o *shudders*.  Seriously, what the heck happened?