By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Pemalite said:

1. The ENTIRE point is (And please stop deflecting/changing the argument) was how much cheaper consoles were to a PC, well guess what? It's actually not if you cared to do a proper costing breakdown over a long term.

2. You're blowing it out of proportion.

Lets take the Radeon 7850 as an example, which is in the same ballpark as the Playstation 4, you can run Battlefield 4 at 1080P on it.
You are given this thing... Called a choice.
No $1,000 GPU required, only common sense needed.

3. That's mostly your own fault rather than everyone elses as you didn't elaborate on such points in the origional post, which left room for it to be construed in other ways.

1. Please, refrain from puttin words in my mouth or completely twisting the facts. THAT WAS NEVER THE ENTIRE POINT. Or even a part of it. And if you actually read the OP well you would have understood this. And if everything you are saying is based on that, then you really have wasted your time typing all the stuff you did.

The point was never to say "console gaming" is cheaper than "PC gaming". It was to say that there are different types of PC hardware. And there are types of PC hardware thatis similarly specced to what you have in consoles. And that if comparisons of a game running on both PC and consoles are made, then the PC version in question should be running on hardware that is at least similarly specced to the console. That way they are n the same category. The point is that it makes no sense when people compare games running on PC hardware to consoles if the hardware in question is vastly different. That was the whole point of thsis thread.

I have not changed the OP in anyway, please show or tell me one single way that what I said in the OP made this ALL about console gaming being cheaper than PC gaming. Please.

2. Thank you. Thank you very much for this point. That is all I am saying. I am not saying that you don't have choice as a PC gamer or what not. Just that there is PC hardwrae out there that is similarly specced to the PS4/XB1. So if a PC gamer wants to post a pic of how much better that game is running on PC, then that PC gamer should use the hardwrae you just cited. Which at best will run the game at 1080p. And not post up pics of the game running at 4k on hardware that is 4 times more expensive than the hardware in a PS4. 

And this is what I don't get. If some of the posters here, yourself included, just relaxed a bit and didnt take this thread to be some sort of attack on them or however you take it, you would find that if you guys gave it any thought and tried to see what exactly I was saying.. you would arrive or come at the exact same conclusions that I and others in this thread has come to.

Again, for the 1000th time, this thread is about creating a level playing feild for games to be compared. A $1000+ gaming rig is simply not remotely in the same weight class as a $400 console. And that flexibility you mentioned, the PC guys should put that to use. They should stop ignoring the hardware that is out there that is similarly specced to a PS4/XB1 like they don't exist. If you listen to PC gamers, you would think that there is only super high end hardware on the market... until they actually tell you what they are running in thei rigs.

3. Nope. I completely disagree. Read the OP again. And this time don't read it like someone is attacking PCs and read it like someone is making a suggestion as to how games between PCs and consoles should be compared. Isn't it funny that only certain PC diehards "didn't get it"?
I commend the effort you must have put into that post though, but it was for the most part a waste of time. especially if you just re-read the OP. Cause what you say this thread was entirely about, clearly shows that you didn't get it. And even after re-reading my Op a couple more times, I still don't see what could have ever led you or anyone to think what you thought this thread was about. 
edit:
And yh, that logic thing you said. Thats you trying to twist facts again. If you were using my kinda logic you wouldn't be saying the PS4 is more expensive than the PS3. You wouldn't even be comparing the PS4 to the PS3 to begin with if you were using my kinda logic.
The logic I am throwing at the PC guys is; compare similar specced hardware to similar specced hardware. Period. Nothing more nothing less. Compare a PS3 to the XB360 and whatever PC hardware came out around that time that is similar in specs or that came out at lower prices in the subsequent years. Compare the PS4 to the XB1 and any PC hardware that is similarly speced. And not PC hardware that costs 4-5 times as much. And if that is an exageration, lets look at it another way. Compare the console hardware to cpu hardwrae that has at least close or similar core count. At least on the GPU side of things.
What exactly is wrong with this logic. Can you please tell me how you can justify comparing a $1000 GPU to a $150 GPU? Cause its practice like that that I am speaking against.
And if you say that doesnt happen then you are just flat ut lying. Cause i can tell you tis much. There is no GPU under $600 that will run any game released in the last 6 months or next 6 months at 4k and at 60fps. So when some PC gamers claim thats what they are running or post pics of the game running on their rig at those settings, then they are also talking about hardwrae that cost at least $1500 if not a lot more.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

I have not changed the OP in anyway, please show or tell me one single way that what I said in the OP made this ALL about console gaming being cheaper than PC gaming. Please.

I don't need too. Anyone can read between the lines and see what you were insinuating, doesn't take a brain surgeon!
As for "costs specifically" all through the Op you were throwing around the console costs, so of course people are going to take those numbers and run with it.

Intrinsic said:

The point was never to say "console gaming" is cheaper than "PC gaming". It was to say that there are different types of PC hardware. And there are types of PC hardware thatis similarly specced to what you have in consoles. And that if comparisons of a game running on both PC and consoles are made, then the PC version in question should be running on hardware that is at least similarly specced to the console. That way they are n the same category. The point is that it makes no sense when people compare games running on PC hardware to consoles if the hardware in question is vastly different. That was the whole point of thsis thread.

And this is the point that you don't seem to be capable of understanding.
There will *never* be a fair breakdown on hardware vs capability without an actually, you know... A proper cost analysis breakdown of the platforms in question.
It's not difficult to ascertain why either.

Over the long term a PC can not only be faster, more capable than a Playstation 4, but can be cheaper aswell, if you look at the entirety of the picture.

Another example is when you buy a car, you look and think about the size of tires, how many cylinders, fuel economy, registration etc'. - Because that can make a cheaper car more expensive than a more expensive car over a long term.
In-fact that's one of the big arguments about Electric Vehicles and the same applies here.

Intrinsic said:

Thank you. Thank you very much for this point. That is all I am saying. I am not saying that you don't have choice as a PC gamer or what not. Just that there is PC hardwrae out there that is similarly specced to the PS4/XB1. So if a PC gamer wants to post a pic of how much better that game is running on PC, then that PC gamer should use the hardwrae you just cited. Which at best will run the game at 1080p. And not post up pics of the game running at 4k on hardware that is 4 times more expensive than the hardware in a PS4.

Again, you're missing the point.
A Radeon 7850 can run games at 4k, the Playstation 4 cannot, sure the game will have to be old, but it can still be done and look better than the console release at the time.

Intrinsic said:

And this is what I don't get. If some of the posters here, yourself included, just relaxed a bit and didnt take this thread to be some sort of attack on them or however you take it, you would find that if you guys gave it any thought and tried to see what exactly I was saying.. you would arrive or come at the exact same conclusions that I and others in this thread has come to

You're under the assumption I am not relaxed? It's actually stupidly difficult to understand someone's tone of voice, mood, how they feel just via pure text, if you are interpreting my mood as "unrelaxed" then... Not my problem.
However, do stay focused and look at the issues at hand rather than my mental well being. (Which to be honest, is none of your business anyway.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I prefer consoles because I don't wanna deal with building my own PC

Consoles are cheap and you get more out of them for their price, like if you make a $400 PC its not gonna be anyway near as powerful as the PS4

I like owning physical copies of my games.

The PC exclusives that I want to play I can on my crapp laptop (Lol and Hearthstone), I don't need to make a PC and the other exclusives that catch my eye end up on console anyway (Diablo 3, Minecraft) so there's really no PC exclusive games that make me want to make my own PC, where as all three console makers are coming out with exclusives that I want.

For me it's all about the games.

I started out as a console owner (Famicom). When I was introduced to PC gaming (Doom, Age of Empires) I didn't "switch over". Instead I played PC AND console games, whichever game I fancy at any given time. I had a PC, Famicom, PSX, and PS2. When money was an issue I skipped PS3 and chose to upgrade my PC for reasons outside gaming.

Now I have a 360 and PS3 though so I can finally play the exclusives.

Pemalite said:
Intrinsic said:

I don't need too. Anyone can read between the lines and see what you were insinuating, doesn't take a brain surgeon!
As for "costs specifically" all through the Op you were throwing around the console costs, so of course people are going to take those numbers and run with it.

Intrinsic said:

And this is the point that you don't seem to be capable of understanding.
There will *never* be a fair breakdown on hardware vs capability without an actually, you know... A proper cost analysis breakdown of the platforms in question.
It's not difficult to ascertain why either.

Over the long term a PC can not only be faster, more capable than a Playstation 4, but can be cheaper aswell, if you look at the entirety of the picture.

Another example is when you buy a car, you look and think about the size of tires, how many cylinders, fuel economy, registration etc'. - Because that can make a cheaper car more expensive than a more expensive car over a long term.
In-fact that's one of the big arguments about Electric Vehicles and the same applies here.

Intrinsic said:

Thank you. Thank you very much for this point. That is all I am saying. I am not saying that you don't have choice as a PC gamer or what not. Just that there is PC hardwrae out there that is similarly specced to the PS4/XB1. So if a PC gamer wants to post a pic of how much better that game is running on PC, then that PC gamer should use the hardwrae you just cited. Which at best will run the game at 1080p. And not post up pics of the game running at 4k on hardware that is 4 times more expensive than the hardware in a PS4.

Again, you're missing the point.
A Radeon 7850 can run games at 4k, the Playstation 4 cannot, sure the game will have to be old, but it can still be done and look better than the console release at the time.

Intrinsic said:

And this is what I don't get. If some of the posters here, yourself included, just relaxed a bit and didnt take this thread to be some sort of attack on them or however you take it, you would find that if you guys gave it any thought and tried to see what exactly I was saying.. you would arrive or come at the exact same conclusions that I and others in this thread has come to

You're under the assumption I am not relaxed? It's actually stupidly difficult to understand someone's tone of voice, mood, how they feel just via pure text, if you are interpreting my mood as "unrelaxed" then... Not my problem.
However, do stay focused and look at the issues at hand rather than my mental well being. (Which to be honest, is none of your business anyway.)

You're being awfully condescending for the person who is having everything said flying right over your head.  

The point of what Intrinsic is saying is that when you make comparisons, it only makes sense to make them if you put them in similar contexts.  Why compare what an expensive PC set up can do to a console that obviously uses cheaper hardware?  No one is even contesting that PCs can do better.  It serves no purpose and makes no point.  

However, it makes more sense if you were to compare similar parts (or similar costing) from a PC to those of the relevant console counterpart and showing the PC running it at higher res, FPS, or whatever else.  That's the point.  it's about criterea, not about the actual comparing and contrasting itself.

Also, almost forgot to bring it up, but the reason why Intrinsic is only bringing up the entry cost has to do with how these comparisons look like to the eyes of the regular consumer.  How we make our decisions on what to buy are completely different than them, because they do not go through the same process we do.  Even some of us here don't completely do it (like going through the effort of actually building a PC, which is pretty much necessary to make a gaming PC on par or better than a console for a similar or cheaper price).  

Do you think every single consumer builds their own PC, or thinks about how much money they could save on buying games in the long run when they pick their platform?  Not really, usually they look at the entry barrier cost and then get what they can with the remaining money they can get.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:

Why compare what an expensive PC set up can do to a console that obviously uses cheaper hardware?

Before you start throwing accusations about myself being "condescending"... (That's not what I am trying to achieve.)

Then why do people need to compare a PS4 and PS3? It's the exact same context we are talking about here.
The PS4 often costs twice as much too.
But if we were to grab that same train-of-thought that people use with the PS4 and PC and place that within the context of the PS4 and PS3, then the PS4 is automagically inferior to the PS3 due to it's higher initial costs.

That's the whole point, apparantly the goal posts need to shift when a platform that comparatively is more powerfull is brought into the same picture.
Lets not forget that the PC and Consoles  have completely different cost structures to begin with.

Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo subsidise the hardware.
PC Gamers pay full price for the hardware.

Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo then recoup such costs by placing a "Tax" on the software.
PC Gamers have no tax on the software.

Hence, there needs to be a cost analysis to create a fair comparison point, otherwise the entire cost argument is genuinely, invalid from any intelligent discussion and even to argue such a point reeks of bias in order to reaffirm ones own purchasing decision.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

I don't need to make a PC and the other exclusives that catch my eye end up on console anyway (Diablo 3, Minecraft) so there's really no PC exclusive games that make me want to make my own PC, where as all three console makers are coming out with exclusives that I want.

And that, is a legitimate reason for being a console gamer, rather than using the price argument, which often falls flat on it's face.
However, one thing to keep in mind is that the PC is going to have all console exclusives eventually, regardless if sony, you, me, the Queen of England, likes it or not.

The other legitimate reason is controls, sure you can use a console controller on a PC, but if you try and be competitive in a PC Multiplayer game and you use a console controller, you're going to have a bad day... A really bad day.

Pemalite said:
MDMAlliance said:

Why compare what an expensive PC set up can do to a console that obviously uses cheaper hardware?

Before you start throwing accusations about myself being "condescending"... (That's not what I am trying to achieve.)

Then why do people need to compare a PS4 and PS3? It's the exact same context we are talking about here.
The PS4 often costs twice as much too.
But if we were to grab that same train-of-thought that people use with the PS4 and PC and place that within the context of the PS4 and PS3, then the PS4 is automagically inferior to the PS3 due to it's higher initial costs.

That's the whole point, apparantly the goal posts need to shift when a platform that comparatively is more powerfull is brought into the same picture.
Lets not forget that the PC and Consoles  have completely different cost structures to begin with.

Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo subsidise the hardware.
PC Gamers pay full price for the hardware.

Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo then recoup such costs by placing a "Tax" on the software.
PC Gamers have no tax on the software.

Hence, there needs to be a cost analysis to create a fair comparison point, otherwise the entire cost argument is genuinely, invalid from any intelligent discussion and even to argue such a point reeks of bias in order to reaffirm ones own purchasing decision.

The language you use gives off the "condescending" tone (such as the brain surgeon part or saying someone isn't capable of understanding something).

And when people compare the PS3 and PS4, I imagine most of it is examining the jump made from the generation rather than actually trying to compare them (which would be ridiculous).  It's not at all the same context we're talking here, because comparing a console and PC, the only point for doing that is saying "look how much better my PC is than your console." 

Though before I would go further on this, I would need clarification on what you mean by "tax" on the software.  Do you mean that the big 3 make their money by selling their software?  Or that they increase hardware price due to their software (OS) being on the hardware?  

Eitherway, you don't need to make a comparison to consoles if you want to analyze a piece of PC hardware that clearly trumps a console one.  That's why you need to compare similar products to each other if you want it to be meaningful.  

MDMAlliance said:

It's not at all the same context we're talking here, because comparing a console and PC, the only point for doing that is saying "look how much better my PC is than your console."

Righto' and Playstation and Xbox Gamers have never done the same to Nintendo gamers or Playstation to Xbox gamers when graphics debates rage on, good to know that things are fair and dandy here. (This is sarcasm.)

MDMAlliance said:

Though before I would go further on this, I would need clarification on what you mean by "tax" on the software.  Do you mean that the big 3 make their money by selling their software?  Or that they increase hardware price due to their software (OS) being on the hardware? 

Publishers/Developers are required to pay a fee to the platform holder in order to have their games released on those particular platforms, Microsoft at one point stated that it can be as much as 60% of the sale, which is determined at it's own discression. (I.E. When it becomes a "featured game".) - I'm not entirely sure if that amount has changed in the last few years, haven't checked and would be more than happy to be proven wrong on the percentage front.
Such costs are then passed onto the consumer via higher game and DLC prices.

Also, a large percentage of console sales are still physical, retailers also take their cut.

On the PC, that particular "Tax"can be removed entirely, heck, not only do I get cheaper games by default in the range of $10-$20 per title, but an additional 30% off per game at green man gaming, even more during a steam/origin/uplay/desura/gog.com and many more's sales.

Converesly, the console manufacturers do this to not only subsidise their hardware, but to bring in some hefty profits.

On the flip side, I recall Valve having a 30% take per sale, but unlike consoles you can shop elsewhere, most developers/publishers allow purchases directly from them.

Again, the cost burden of consoles is shifted from the hardware to the software in order for the platforms to be a viable business and look attractive to consumers, the PC is completely in reverse.

MDMAlliance said:

Eitherway, you don't need to make a comparison to consoles if you want to analyze a piece of PC hardware that clearly trumps a console one.  That's why you need to compare similar products to each other if you want it to be meaningful.  

I agree to a point, but again, do read above on why it's not an accurate represenation of the entire picture, thus a cost analysis (With similar hardware, if that is what truly floats your boat, but I would like to see what kind of PC hardware+games you can get at various price points and have those data points compared to consoles.) is truly required for a complete understanding of the cost-issue in a fair and competent manner, otherwise it's like peeing into the wind, hardly ideal.

bigtakilla said:
HollyGamer said:
Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

Well it's fair and logic for console to have a debate which one better, most PC gamer who is really (most of the time) is Obnoxious is like an adult people who joint in teenage fight Lol. If people having a debate which console is powerfull is fair but what make people dont like is there is always people who come to troll on console debate with saying PC "is better then both". :D hah

But that is like arguing why the sky is blue.

Everyone, even their pet cat understands the Playstation 4 is faster than the Xbox One and that the Xbox One is faster than the WiiU, there is zero need for those points to be rubbed in, regardless of how factually correct it is.
Yet, suddenly the world ends when someone says the PC is faster than the PS4? It's all as obvious as each other, the hardware has been known for a year now.

Again, don't do to others, what you don't wan't done to yourself and the world will be a significantly better place, then people like the "Op" won't get annoyed.

Yes it's like arguing the sky is blue, but like it or not there will always people arguing and just let people arguing without adding another fuel on it :).

and "Yet, suddenly the world ends when someone says the PC is faster than the PS4?" because you debate on which console is stronger topic not on appropriate topic. If people arguing which one stronger dedicated gaming PC or PS4 the answer is more clear and fair on debate.

But yet again, which console is stronger arguements are stupid as well, because we all know what's stronger than what. The discussion only becomes interesting when outside elements are brought in. Such as just how far behind are consoles in power, aesthetics vs graphics, graphics impact vs performance impact, ect. 

Which is more powerful is no longer a question. 

Yes, agree with u, but we cannot stop people from arguing something stupid and also start arguing more even stupid thing, like i said arguing sky is blue is stupid and WE DONT HAVE TO ADD FUEL BY ARGUING OCEAN IS MORE BLUE THEN SKY IN "SKY IS BLUE TOPIC "

Intrinsic said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

Just saying "you're wrong" shows you are now scraping the barrel and no longer have anything left to defend your weak argument.

Also please explain to everyone just how much you do know about PCs and electronics as you are acting like you know everything by saying "if you say so", but then sarcastically end with the crap above. Another console owner bitter at PC owners.

You don't even know what about what you said that I was referring to you being wrong about. 

And this is not about having nothing else to say. Just don't have anything to say to you. If you take that as me conceding defeat then by all means enjoy. Just don't see the point repeating myself in a thousand different ways. Especially to someone that is obviously bent on not listenning.

But yh, if you believe I know nothing about what I am talking about (like that even has anything to do with what I was talking about) then its ok. There is a right and wrong way to have debates or discussions... the wy you are going about it isn't it. Which is why I am not discussing this topic with you anymore but responding to others. Everything I have to say on this matter I have said in this thread already. I am sorry if you don't understand what point I was trying to make.

Your first sentence doesn't even make sense. The grammar in it is dire.

Ironic you say I won't listen, yet most PC gamers here including myself are accusing you of exactly that - not listening. You belittle people and won't look at anyones argument besides yourself, even when it is spelt out to you. And yes, you don't know anything about this topic, hence why you have no idea about benchmarks etc and post very confusing and mixed posts.

I think what demostrates this best is when I made my clear reply to you and you just ignored the points and went into denial, begging the timeless question of; what would it take for you to change your mind? Obviously simply logic and maths won't suffice.