By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo: The Master Chief Collection is the only unreleased game in Amazon's top 50 for 2014. #48 now

Tagged games:

method114 said:
jlmurph2 said:

Physical is still the biggest part of the console industry. Until that shifts over, we'll continue to use NPD, Amazon and VGC as references.

Yea and that's fine I see no issue with it. It's just at this point it's nothing but assumptions really. Were missing to much data now at this point to really do anything but make assumptions.

But exactly how farfetched is the assumption "more retail sales = more digital sales"?

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
method114 said:
jlmurph2 said:

Physical is still the biggest part of the console industry. Until that shifts over, we'll continue to use NPD, Amazon and VGC as references.

Yea and that's fine I see no issue with it. It's just at this point it's nothing but assumptions really. Were missing to much data now at this point to really do anything but make assumptions.

But exactly how farfetched is the assumption "more retail sales = more digital sales"?

That's just it we don't know there is know and there is no way to know unless the company comes right out and says it. In fact I think one company (EA or activaition can't remember) said that digital sales were nearly 50% of their game sales. 

I guess the best way to know is to find out what a company says a game sold to it's investors and then compare that to what we know were the physical sales and see how far off vgchartz is each and every time. Then we can use that data and build a formula so we can have a better guess as to what games are actually doing. Right now though it's just complete guess.

While yes more retail sales = more digital sales we don't know how much more. Is it just barely more, maybe barely anyone decided to go digital for that game. Maybe it's nearly double, maybe it's triple. 

Basically my point is comparing game sales is really just pointless cause we have no idea how many people are going digital and for how many games. For instance I was never going to go digital this gen, then I switched in the middle sold all my physical and went digital but some games I know are not keeper so I buy physical and sell them. 

Feel free to talk about games and sales and speculate and all that but just understand your figures could far off and being impressed by any sales data isn't really a good idea unless it includes digital. Espically preorders which don't even matter anymore preodering has become very pointless.

method114 said:
jlmurph2 said:
method114 said:
jlmurph2 said:

That's just it we don't know there is know and there is no way to know unless the company comes right out and says it. In fact I think one company (EA or activaition can't remember) said that digital sales were nearly 50% of their game sales. 

no thats wrong. maybe u talk about overall digital games revenue (including seasonpass, microtransaction and anything)

ubisoft said watch_dogs has about 10% of its next gen console sales digital (slighlty more to 10% for ps4 and slightly more to 11% for xb1) pc was about 70%
ea said digital attachrate depends on the type of game and the region. its between 10 and 15% (ufc as example was near to 15%)
square enix relased digital attachrate for this quarter as follow: ~32% overall and  ~36% na and europe. u should note, that this also include high digital attachrate games + arcade titels and is not the breakdown for AAA physical realse games

prinz_valium said:
method114 said:
jlmurph2 said:
method114 said:
jlmurph2 said:

no thats wrong. maybe u talk about overall digital games revenue (including seasonpass, microtransaction and anything)

ubisoft said watch_dogs has about 10% of its next gen console sales digital (slighlty more to 10% for ps4 and slightly more to 11% for xb1) pc was about 70%
ea said digital attachrate depends on the type of game and the region. its between 10 and 15% (ufc as example was near to 15%)
square enix relased digital attachrate for this quarter as follow: ~32% overall and  ~36% na and europe. u should note, that this also include high digital attachrate games + arcade titels and is not the breakdown for AAA physical realse games

ah ok yea I tried the google the article and couldn't find it so I thought I might have been off. This is the exact kind of data we need though. So you could basically estiamte another 10-15% for every game from here on out. 

Thanks for that I didn't think anyone had kept track of information like that.

method114 said:

ah ok yea I tried the google the article and couldn't find it so I thought I might have been off. This is the exact kind of data we need though. So you could basically estiamte another 10-15% for every game from here on out. 

for AAA retail realse games, yes
imho 10 - 15% is a good estimate in that case
games like titanfall and destiny more to 15%
singelplayer offline games more to 10%

but this is still growing. maybe we have to use 15 - 20 % end of the next year

Around the Network
prinz_valium said:
method114 said:

for AAA retail realse games, yes
imho 10 - 15% is a good estimate in that case
games like titanfall and destiny more to 15%
singelplayer offline games more to 10%

but this is still growing. maybe we have to use 15 - 20 % end of the next year

Yea I forgot to add that in my post that we still need to keep track on what companies are saying the digital attach rate is so we can adjust it.

Halo has just passed Titanfall Xbox One and Xbox One Kinect! #52

#49!!!

Seems to be gaining 3 spots daily now?

Meaning #40 on the eve of release!

Broke top 50 before release! MASSIVE!!

#48 now

wow, this should put it over 750k sold already, will be a massive first week.