By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Evolve Alpha Delayed on PS4 due to network difficulties

KBG29 said:
Things are a little concerning latley with PS4 Firmware and software. There was so much praise during the initial announcement, and up to launch about the ease of programming, but these last few weeks have been crazy.

The sad thing is, I have been playing Killzone, COD:G, NFS:R, MLB:TS, both Maddens, and most recently Destiny with no problems this whole year. Even in these recent times I have only had one instance were things were not working, and that was a PSN wide issue.

So, what is going on with these programmers? Evo can't handle network code, ubi can't tap and extra power, Sony botchs its firmware, and now T2 can't handle networking. This would have been understanable at launch to some extent, such as Battlefield, but with a full year of final dev kits, and a system that is selling more than 50% of the software this is unacceptable. Massive problem that Sony can't get it together, and 3rd parties as well. The focus should be on the money maker platfrom, and deliverying the best and most sold version.

What's wrong with the firmware?

Evo's mess in inexcusable, maybe they layed of the wrong people back in March. T2 might have taken some shortcuts with their alpha test version which are incompatible with the new firmware. That kind of stuff happens all the time in early software development.

They're 2 unrelated problems though. Evo's netcode has severe bottlenecks and is badly designed in general. While playing the game you can get a glimpse in how it's basically set up to fail, overloading the servers with tons of repeated tiny request. It won't even display your previous best time during a drift trial without asking the server first.

Ofcourse Sony would have been smarter to send help to Evolution studios to finish the game instead of firing people back in March...

Around the Network

It's not PSN, it's the game, just like with DC.

Hmm... So whats with PSN these days loll? I keep on hearing a lot of issues that keep on going on and on and on... Like, it is a paid service at this point and this is getting to the point of where its completely unacceptable that a paid online service has this many issues.. I understand if this was during launch but its almost a year since the ps4 has launched so get it together Sony!

If you are charging $60 per year vs say Steam which is free, then at the very least, what you can do is make sure there is minimal issues with the network! Microsoft seems to have got it so its your turn!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

A issue with the Alpha test of a game and people blame it on PSN? Weird. If there was an issue with PSN because of a firmware update you'd hear a lot more about it than just a alpha build of a game not working. Game developers are to blame here.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

I'm, in the Alpha now playing my first round as the Monster.

Damnit, not the monster.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Yep Alpha is now on PS4 and extended until tomorrow.

First game was OK, didn't really know what I was doing, played support and used my shield and cloak pretty well. But ended up dying to a frikkin carnivorous plant, and losing the match. Pretty fun though, would be especially good with friends, esp a party of 5 where you take turns being the monster.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix