By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Nintendo Q2 profits > Sony gaming division Q2 profits

Which company will have better results come fiscal year end in 2015?

Sony 88 20.00%

Microsoft 82 18.64%

Nintendo 225 51.14%

Ouya 45 10.23%

Total:440
Skidmore said:
When I said that Nintendo would make more money this Holidays than Xbox Division due to its First Parties Titles, Toastboy bashed me saiying that Xbox Live alone makes more money than Entire Nintendo.

Seems like he was... toasted at the time. ;)

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Thing is, both companies use different models.
Nintendo makes money off console and software.
They'll make good money off the consoles, and really good money off their upcoming software releases.

Sony on the other hand have a razorblade model. They lose money on the console and hope to make it back with sofware. The Sony software lineup isn't stellar, but there are some good looking AAA games coming out. I don't see them performing really well though. Maybe 5m max for new uncharted, 3m for bloodborne.

I think it's possible for nintendo to edge them out, but it really depends if Sony can bring the software.

First of all, UC 4 will pass 5 million easily, it'll probably come close to 10 million or more. Second of all, Sony makes money on hardware (not much for the PS4 though, but they don't lose money on it) and third of all Sony earns money from third party titles being sold on their system, Nintendo well, they don't really sell that much third party software (on the Wii U anyway). 

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
They'll make good money off the consoles, and really good money off their upcoming software releases.

Sony on the other hand have a razorblade model. They lose money on the console and hope to make it back with sofware. The Sony software lineup isn't stellar, but there are some good looking AAA games coming out. I don't see them performing really well though. Maybe 5m max for new uncharted, 3m for bloodborne.

I think it's possible for nintendo to edge them out, but it really depends if Sony can bring the software.

You haven't paid any attention in the last few years, have you?

Nintendo sells hardware at a profit?

They're making quite a bit on that new 3ds. It's way overpriced.

3ds......and Wii u doesn't cost much to make.. I'm sure ps4 is just breaking even..

mM

So is it the new rad thing to make these "X thing > Y thing" threads?

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
theprof00 said:

First of all, UC 4 will pass 5 million easily, it'll probably come close to 10 million or more. Second of all, Sony makes money on hardware (not much for the PS4 though, but they don't lose money on it) and third of all Sony earns money from third party titles being sold on their system, Nintendo well, they don't really sell that much third party software (on the Wii U anyway). 

You think uncharted will sell on par with halo?

Not likely. It's a new system with 12.3m sold. Even if sony sold an additional 7m consoles during the holiday, and an additional 20m next year, 1 in 4 ps4 owners would have to buy it. UC has never had that kind of attach rate.

Even uncharted 2 only sold 6.5, let's say 7 for digital included. And that was with an install base of 40m. Uncharted 3 has the same numbers but released with a 65m userbase. That's 1 in 10.

The highest selling game on ps4 right now is destiny, made by bungie, huge marketing campaign, and best selling new IP ever...and that's only 3.3m

5m is generous.

Sony doesn't "make money" on hardware. They are "profitable" on hardware, which is a calculation figuring in one game, an extra controller, and the system etc. And yes, Sony makes money on third and second party as well. My point is that Sony needs install base and games sales. I think it looks very good for them, but you must agree that it's a tough comparison to nintendo. They recently released a new version of 3ds that is going to sell a lot, is overpriced, has a new smash brothers, etc. On top of which, Nintendo usually outperfoms everyone by a lot in holidays. Remember also that Vita isn't doing so hot.

Let's pretend vita and wiiU make the same amount of profit and cancel them out.
What we are then dealing with is deciding what will be more profitable, 3ds or ps4. Gut is telling me 3ds, though ps4 has a very good chance.

Nice numbers Nintendo. Of course some will try to spin it to something negative or defend Sony, but numbers are cold. Hopefully this the ray of light at the end of the corridor for them and come with a great experience in the future like the Wii/DS generation.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Giggs_11 said:

Apparently, from what I could read, Nintendo had net profit of 222M for the second quarter of their fiscal year, whilst Sony gaming division posted a net profit of about 200M (I didn't read their reports, just what is being posted over the internet, if it's incorrect please tell me).

Nintendo had negative results for their first quarter and Sony had positive results so as of right now Sony has the edge.

So, come Q4 next year will Nintendo or Sony gaming division have better results?

I have no information about xbox division, but I'll add it to the poll anyway. If anyone have information on their performance please share.

Discuss, that's an order!! :D

You might want to reword your questions here. You ask what "company" will be more profitable. Since Sony is 1.25 Billion in the hold this Q2 it's obvious it's not going to be Sony. Your title seems more on the level, but as far as the companies it's an entirely different story. I know it's nit-picking but it is what it is. I will still actually stick with Nintendo for the most profitable gaming division as well, they have a better record of keeping their costs in line with their profits, Sony's track record says the opposite. Afaik, MS has never made a profit on their gaming division, but that's not why the seem to be in this business. Ouya.... Well.... I really don't know. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

czecherychestnut said:
The PS4 install base is growing far more rapidly than the Wii U's/3DS combo, meaning Sony's ability to generate profit off that growing install base is more than Nintendo's ability to do so.

Regarding XB1, tough one because MS have stopped providing actual profit/loss statements for each segment (just keeping it to change in revenue and change in cost of revenue, which tells you little). We do know that the cost of revenue within xbox has been increasing faster than revenue since the XB1 was released, but we don't know where the tipping point is before the actual cost of revenue is higher than revenue (signifying a loss). With some massive games coming out for xbox though this Christmas, I expect MS to clean up this holiday, with the only risk being that the price cut on the XB1 and heavy bundling cuts heavily into profits.

I'm gonna go with Sony by a hair, then MS, and then Nintendo.

keywords: first party games

theprof00 said:
RolStoppable said:

You haven't paid any attention in the last few years, have you?

Nintendo sells hardware at a profit?

They're making quite a bit on that new 3ds. It's way overpriced.

The Wii U was overpriced since Day One. It wasn't profitable though