By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Driveclub PS+ Delayed Until Further Notice, Head of PS France says its not a server issue but "an error in the programming of the game"

Lame excuse. You have no problem selling the retail version since launch lol.

Around the Network

Don't really get it,  they did great stuff with WRC...

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
kowenicki said:

there was a closed beta though, a closed beta for a heavy online game.... yep.

Somebody needs to get fired. o_o

Indeed. The interview explains it's not a problem of server infrastructure, but of the game SW itself. It's not very specific beyond that, though, I'm curious about what kind of error it could be. That exec made it clear it's not a trivial one, so maybe they botched the whole design of the communication scheme between clients and servers, so flooding the latter, when the number of players increase, with too many data, maybe also fragmented in too many small packets.

Yeah, it must be a fundamental design flaw. They way things load it seems to explode in communication requests. When a leaderboard or face off loads you get everything in little bits. First the times and score, then the name, then the club name and icons, all appearing seperately for every line in the leaderboard, instead of 1 request returning everything in one chunk. Plus every race you start requests leader boards, score to beat for your car, ghost data and multiple face-offs, which reset everytime you restart. With instant restarts, 15 sec loading times, and events that range from 4 minutes to only 15 seconds, that's a lot of requests. Ironically if everyone would be playing online multiplayer races it would lighten the server load a lot.

It reminds of a project we did a long time ago. A new hire was set on making a data processing engine to handle large databases. He did it according to text book c++ design using the mfc library. Worked perfectly on test databases, very neat readable and modular code as well. When it was time to put the real database to the test performance botched down to estimated completetion times of weeks instead of hours, no matter what server rack was running the code. It took a big low level c rewrite of all the cricitcal parts to speed it up 100 to 1000 fold.

And now they're in the woods with a huge unresponsive database with all the times and ghost data since launch. I'm glad I'm not working there :)

method114 said:
Blob said:

Im sorry but this was promised to be available around launch period, basically as an apology for making PS+ mandatory for online. If microsoft did this they would be crucified and accused of forcing people to buy the game, of which the digital copy is available to buy.

Hopefully they do the right thing and offer some form of compensation for those affected by the poor launch and lack of PS+ version.

Sony has been accused of that and Sony has been attacked because of this. I don't know what more you want to happen to them for messing up? Should we burn down Evolution Studios would that satisfy your blood lust?

I understand people are pissed I am to I really wanted to try this game out and I really wanted to try a racing game this gen. I haven't played one in a long time. With that said it's just a game people like seriously I have so much to play right now I'm not worried about this one game.

Blood Lust? No blood lust. I dont want evolution studios closed down because of this. 

And rightfully so sony should be accused of it. Theyre quite comfortable selling this game to people, but not willing to back their promises. I remember a lot of people on this forum saying it was ok that PS+ was going to be mandatory because "look at the free games, we're getting driveclub for free at launch".

I understand shit happens and obviously something has gone horrbily wrong during the process of making this game, but it was obviously rushed to market and it annoys me that if this was another company we wouldnt be hearing the end of it....

On the other hand, we have all those other fabulous PS+ games to look forward to in November

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network

Overall, Sony has handled the PS4's first couple years pretty poorly. I hope Sony realizes the PS4 is selling well in spite of how they're handling it and not because of the way they're handling it.

Hopefully, as big games start to materialize, in 2015 things change.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

It really is a shame they ran into these issues, as the game is solid as an arcade racer. Me and my club members are having a blast with it and when the online portions work, the game gets even better.

I hope they get another opportunity to relaunch it as the game really deserves a second chance.

As for the Ps+ gamers who have to wait, I feel bad for them and I was one if them, but I took the plunge anyway and got it and I'm one of the many that doesn't regret it. The sense of speed along with the crazy amount t of detail, genius track design and perfect balance of arcade and sim make this game highly addictive.

mjk45 said:
Fancy having the nerve to call it a beautiful mistake.
it sounds like it more systemic than just a coding error by the gradual approach to fixing it that they have adopted..

Lol, that must be an artistic creation made by Google Translate or (gosh) Bing translating the French idiom "bel et bien" in the original article.  http://www.wordreference.com/fren/bel%20et%20bien 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

MikeRox said:
michael_stutzer said:
There should be an official apology and compensation for the people who bought it, maybe even refunds. It became ridiulous at this point.

I'd rather they just ripped the social aspect out, and gave us loads of free extra courses and events because damn, the actual driving model itself is brilliant. I'd be quite happy for it to turn into more of a DIRT/GRID campaign.

I bought it last weekend, a bit oblivious to all the stuff that was going on (I'd wanted it since PS4 launch) and presumed it was just my internet connection playing up when I constantly got "cannot connect to server" nonsense.

Yeah from what I  see the driving aspect is indeed brilliant. I don't care much about all the club stuff, a meaty career mode and the regular online races are all I need. Hopefully the game will be fixed before it is too late.

i have already in this thread with all the driveclub http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=191410&page=11