By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What genre(s) do you think deserve more love?

Space Marines. They really need their own genre. What?

Something close to a decent MMO or a persistent-world WRPG as apparently Destiny, Fable and ESO wont come close to what I was hoping for.

Around the Network

action-adventure... Pretty much zelda

Strategy games. It is by far my favourite genre and has been since AOE2. Hearts of iron 3 and europa universalis is some absolutely incredible grand stratehy titles, whereas company of heroes is the pinnacle of rts imo. The total war franchise is a hit or miss in each iteration but it does give you both grand and rts in one... Was truly dissapointed when the next c&q was cancelled.

That being said the genre does in fact flourish, but not in the way we want. Its the most popular genre on mobile but sadly these are just so limited and the time aspect ruins all the fun.

dyremose said:
Strategy games. It is by far my favourite genre and has been since AOE2. Hearts of iron 3 and europa universalis is some absolutely incredible grand stratehy titles, whereas company of heroes is the pinnacle of rts imo. The total war franchise is a hit or miss in each iteration but it does give you both grand and rts in one... Was truly dissapointed when the next c&q was cancelled.

That being said the genre does in fact flourish, but not in the way we want. Its the most popular genre on mobile but sadly these are just so limited and the time aspect ruins all the fun.

Pretty much what i was going to say.

3d platformers! So many indie 2d stuff these days and I'm waiting for them to evolve to at least 2.5d like Crash 3 or something! Sly probably isn't getting anything for awhile after those sales at $40 (sad because it was my favorite entry), Jak is nowhere to be seen, and all those cutesy ones from PS2 are gone. Now it's pretty much Ratchet and Mario carrying the genre.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network

Adventure/Puzzlers ala Myst, 7th Guest, 11th Hour. The Witness looks like it's going to fulfill that role, and there are a couple on kickstarter from what people have told me.

3D platformers on everything except Nintendo consoles.

JRPG's!

Rhythm games like Rhythm Heaven and Parappa. Theaterrhtyhm is pretty much the only rhythm game released in like two years...

Adventure games! Like real adventure games.

Very few games have filled this niche for me. Skyrim, Zelda and Fable 2 come to mind but not much else. Two of those games kind of done it by accindent

Adventure FPS.

Metroid 3, Bioshock to an extent... very little else comes to mind