By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How long until xbox is $200?

How long until xbox is $200?

March 2015 45 18.60%

July 2015 10 4.13%

Nov 2015 44 18.18%

March 2016 20 8.26%

July 2016 9 3.72%

Nov 2016 34 14.05%

March 2017 10 4.13%

July 2017 13 5.37%

Nov 2017 24 9.92%

March 2018 33 13.64%

Total:242
Intrinsic said:
SvennoJ said:

The Xbox one is in a totally different situation as the 360. Last gen the Wii got away with raising it's price in the UK, same this gen with PS4 in Canada. The Xbox One is in PS3's shoes now or actually worse.

A digital only version is possible, doubt we'll see a 64gb flash version. Might as well stick a drive in there as 64GB flash is not going to get you anywhere. The system already reserves 138GB of the 500GB hdd for the OS.

I keep hering this digital only version like taking out the disc drive somehow saves a lot of money. A 500Gb HDD costs them around $23, the bluray drive costs them around $25. Taking out the disc drive does not equate justifying a $50 price drop or rather, a sku that is $50 cheaper.

Selling ata loss is not gonna be a problem for MS as long as that loss is not more than $150. They would make that $150 right back from royalties from 10 thrid party games. A lot less if 2 or 3 of those games are Ms first part and lets not forget XBL subscriptions. Funny thing is, both sony and MS are in a position to slash off $150 from the consoles MSRP and go unscaved. There rae just too many ways to make that money back. 

Right now, MS has much bigger problems against the PS4 besides "price". The tables have truly changed. The PS4 is arguably better than the XB1 on every conceiveable metric. Even the one area where MS always dominated which is their subscriptions service. MS has to first destroy that image or impression of the PS4 being the "better console" before it starts thinking about a price war. Or not people would just ignore it as being that cheap cause its inferior.

A disc less version works in MS' favor though, better revenues through digital game purchases. So without a hdd they can easily recoup a bigger price cut than the savings. I wouldn't be surprised of a disc less xbox one slim you can rent to own with a 4 year xbox live contract.

And sure they can slash of $150 dollars and recoup that in royalties and subscriptions, but they also still have to make back the r&d that went into making the systems and the online infrastructure.

Agreed that the real problem is the perception that ps4 is the better console to have. Very hard to change the momentum the ps4 has build up.

Around the Network

Your graph is off. A $450 official price is only being offered starting from 2 November - and then only for the COD bundle.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

A Discless SKU could work reasonably well. More and more games are being bought digitally these days, and it's only a matter of time before consoles go pretty much all-digital (PC has already completed this transition).

The only way to make it work now though, is if it was sold alongside the current Blu-ray model, for a while at least. Maybe they could phase out the Blu-ray SKU later once sales decline below a certain point. But an immediate replacement of the disc version would cause quite a bit of backlash.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

CGI-Quality said:
Captain_Tom said:
CGI-Quality said:
Captain_Tom said:

Oh come on they are going to keep that price.  By the end of 2015 I am sure there will be a $300 X1 as well, and maybe even a stripped down "Arcade" version for $250.

If this is anything to go by, I wouldn't be so sure.

I know they say it is temporary, but frankly I just don't believe them.  Not only are they selling it for $350, but some bundles are coming with 2 free games as well.  In fact I bet it will be $300 by E3.

Why would they say it's temporary if it really isn't? They'd want to maximize the potential market growth by being up front. I'm thinking it's temporary based on two principles:

• They are still losing money on each unit sold (or will be at $350)
  • They need a quick adjustemnt to at least be competitve with the PS4 in the US (their strongest market), while not taking a serious financial hit (going back to Principle 1)

Don't get me wrong, it will probably go back up in price for a month, but it will be a month or so at most.  I am of course assuming it still loses to the PS4 by a large margin, if it doesn't then yeah it will be temporary.

Sentient_Nebula said:
A Discless SKU could work reasonably well. More and more games are being bought digitally these days, and it's only a matter of time before consoles go pretty much all-digital (PC has already completed this transition).

The only way to make it work now though, is if it was sold alongside the current Blu-ray model, for a while at least. Maybe they could phase out the Blu-ray SKU later once sales decline below a certain point. But an immediate replacement of the disc version would cause quite a bit of backlash.

If I were MS I would try to get a cut down diskless version (That is tiny) out as fast as possible for $200.

Around the Network

Looking at the deals now, I think it's very possible that by 35 months in, we will be looking at an xb1 bunduru that basically comes out to 0$
200$ xb1 in 2 years with 3 free games and 3 months live.
I think that will happen indeed.

MS is currently already offering 329 deal with black flag, unity, and a free game of choice...basically 130$ of value on a 329$ system.
Jesus christ MS

Permanent $200? Based on the graph, two years looks possible, but realistically, 3 years is already a stretch for a system that started at $500 and is only as low as it is now thanks to taking off something that was supposed to be an integral part of the system at launch. In fact $200 might never happen, since that's half the initial manufacturing costs for the Kinectless system at launch. If PS4 sales keep soaring out of sight, however, Microsoft might eventually be pushed to $200 in a few years just to stay relevant.

But really, who are we kidding with that graph. Microsoft has been aggressive, but that graph would mean a $0 XBO in March 2017. I mean, I guess if they bundled $200 worth of games and Xbox Live with a $200 system, it'd technically be like getting a free system :P

march 2016... if PS4 still maintaining the gap!

Switch!!!

2017 November