By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resolution doesn't sell games, says Far Cry 4 dev - 1080p debate is a "weird echo chamber"

"With the 4K TVs and things - somebody was telling me that with a 4K TV, to even see it, your living room has to be big enough to sit like 12 feet from the screen."

Look I understand the 1080p/900p Debate. the 1080p/720p debate, I mean to me there is a difference.

But there is no way on this planet is someone with normal eyesight going to tell me there is no difference between 1080p/4k unless you are something stupid like 12 feet from the screen. I saw 4K in person for the first time a few months ago and it was literally sex for my eyes. And then the closer you got the screen the more glorious it was seeing how much detail you could get from looking at a tiny corner. I call complete bull.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:
Abaddon said:
Love the dude. Ubi +1. Ive been since a child a pc gamer and a bit of console on the side ever since the Atari Amstrad period. Im barely over 30years old with now gaming mostly on a console due to it being convenient and not having time cause of work and family etc.

Its embarrassing seeing a bunch of the vocal kiddos over the net who only matter cause the online media live and get paid from it, all of a sudden affect the gaming industry and future of software and hardware product. Its sad really.

The simplest example is the intro of this story. Sony all of a sudden instead of exclusives fronted indies and they mattered as much as 1080p. We live in a day and age where those crying and moaning about cinematic experiences are spending their free time with Minecraft with their friends and Spelanky where even up until, now without a comparison side by side on a website most wouldnt know a 1080p to a 700p game difference yet they are still talking about 1080p vs 900p as if they know wtf they are on about.

I sold my PS3 and not plan on getting onto the PS4 because I honestly like their community less and less. And wtf "we are legion" i have to chose if they are a moronic clan or simply underaged weirdos? People defend their favorite console more than they have family values anymore.

What in the world are you on about?

Nothing that interests you if you dont understand my point or views. Plus, whats the point responsing pn something you dont understand instead of the thread topic? :)

This debate is not about "the games" this is more akin to blue-ray VS HD-DVD etc. it has nothing to do with the other aspects of the content, does not diminish them... running a game at higher resolution or frame rate only enhances it...

Now for a third party publisher his point makes some sense, for them resolution is one aspect of the graphics that they configure according to the power of the machine running their latest piece of software at a decent frame rate... inviting the gamers in to discuss it means someone put their nose in the development process and put some constraints on their future choice, or comment on the quality of the choices they made... This is something Ubi is bount to not like since as far as this specific aspect of games they have not been doing as good as other publishers :-/ on the PS4 they have about half of the sub 1080p games!

Now this is an embarassment for some console makers and everyone is trying their best to save MSs face (they're less enclined to do it for Nintendo with the Wii U)... that whole "this is the experience that counts, yadi yada..." is diversion, if a machine does not perform as it should in this day and age (this means you should be able to assume a game is 1080p and that it runs at a decent frame rate (above 30 please) + has good physics, lighting, lag free controls, etc. whatever it needs to, at this resolution! in 2014 this is not nit picking, hell even MS demonstrated all their games on high end PCs before the release of the xb1, they all ran at 1080p 60fps, forza 5 had amazing details on the cars and off track (yay 3d crowds too!) ... even Ubi when asked about watch_dogs or Ass Creed Unity said they targetted 1080p 60fps... until very close to the release of each titles!

Now they don't care?

Even this guy, if he did not care he would have made his game any resolution to hit 60fps (especially for a first person shooter!) on each consoles, even the PS360, cut all details until you have a good frame rate, even if you have to run the game without textures at all...

good games sell games
good marketing sell games
hype sell games
even resolution can sell some games to graphic fetishists

but ofc its the most overrated stat right now any game can have.
but if u want to sell games, u should go with that weird behaviour

He is not wrong, there is so much more than just resolution to choose one version or an other, there is framerate, lightning, assets, effects, tearing or not, clipping, additionnal features, ...

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
QuintonMcLeod said:

The issue isn't resolution. Resolution was promised to gamers by both Sony and Microsoft. It was a lie. A bar they set to high to oversell their consoles. Now, they're trying to tell us resolution no longer matters when gamers were never concerned about resolution to begin with.

never concered about resolution?  Ever since Sony gloated about "True HD" and 1080p, the Sony fanboys have just went nuts.  But its not like the resoulation talk was never talked about prior to this gen.  

Abaddon said:
MTZehvor said:
Abaddon said:
Love the dude. Ubi +1. Ive been since a child a pc gamer and a bit of console on the side ever since the Atari Amstrad period. Im barely over 30years old with now gaming mostly on a console due to it being convenient and not having time cause of work and family etc.

Its embarrassing seeing a bunch of the vocal kiddos over the net who only matter cause the online media live and get paid from it, all of a sudden affect the gaming industry and future of software and hardware product. Its sad really.

The simplest example is the intro of this story. Sony all of a sudden instead of exclusives fronted indies and they mattered as much as 1080p. We live in a day and age where those crying and moaning about cinematic experiences are spending their free time with Minecraft with their friends and Spelanky where even up until, now without a comparison side by side on a website most wouldnt know a 1080p to a 700p game difference yet they are still talking about 1080p vs 900p as if they know wtf they are on about.

I sold my PS3 and not plan on getting onto the PS4 because I honestly like their community less and less. And wtf "we are legion" i have to chose if they are a moronic clan or simply underaged weirdos? People defend their favorite console more than they have family values anymore.

Nothing that interests you if you dont understand my point or views. Plus, whats the point responsing pn something you dont understand instead of the thread topic? :)

To actually understand what the person is saying so a somewhat intelligent conversation can take place?

Abaddon said:
MTZehvor said:

I get the gist of what you're trying to say but I think you're wrong. When the consoles were first announced, the general concensus of opinion from XB1 fans was that both consoles were equal in power. This was followed by hundreds of threads all over the internet trying to explain the GPU numbers to the uninformed (like myself). But it continued nevertheless. Then the games started releasing ... first one, then another, and then another, each one having higher resolution or better framerates on the PS4, thus proving the numbers correct. Clearly the narrative had to change and change it did. It wasn't Sony fans that made resolution 'Matter' it was XB1 owners who suddenly decided resolution 'Doesn't Matter'. Resolution was only ever a gauge of the difference in power but somewhere along the line XB1 fans diverted the conversation from power to the resolution itself ... and here we are today. You reap what you sow. You can thank people like MisterX for perpetuating your suffering.

The PS5 Exists. 

Well, only MS has issues around this topic, the PS4 is rather consistent in therms of having games that run well at 1080p... I mean, I can still count the sub native games on the fingers of only 1 hand... on the XB1 this is still a common occurence to have sub 30fps performance and sub 1080p games, so if these things bother you, you need to be really careful about what you get on this machine.

I don't know what to believe. The same people are telling me I need to be sat outside on the porch playing a game on a 22" TV to see no differance, and it being the best thing ever the week after that both consoles managed to reach 1080/xx - You can't have it both ways. Dear Ubisoft, The most important thing is fun and gameplay, but guess what - everybody else is bringing out fun, gameplay and graphical goodness in one package. Stop being lazy, stop rushing your games, stop trying to avoid debates and stuff and give us the best gaming experiance. Congratulations on replacing EA as worst company of the year.