By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resolution doesn't sell games, says Far Cry 4 dev - 1080p debate is a "weird echo chamber"

Ka-pi96 said:
Nem said:
Yeah, and then theres the argument that 60 fps doesnt sell games aswell. Why not just release pong again? Thats obviously the way to go.
Do they seriously think anyone buys this?

Maybe read what they are actually arguing...

They are saying new experiences and fun gameplay is what makes games great, not resolution or fps.

Let's use an example... So what if two games are releasing, let's say Uncharted/Halo/Zelda or some other highly rated game is releasing at 720p 30fps. And the other one is something like Ride to Hell: Retribution releasing at 4k and 200fps.

Which is the better game?

Stop quoting me so fast. :( I was editing the post.

Around the Network

Guess it's time for companies like nvidia to finally get their feet wet with developing, or at least financing, high end gaming software for their high end cards. Developing new, more powerful cards, is easy. Developing succsessful high end games for it, not so much i guess.

By the time Ubisoft adopts 1080p gaming, it will be considered retro.

Ka-pi96 said:
Nem said:
Yeah, and then theres the argument that 60 fps doesnt sell games aswell. Why not just release pong again? Thats obviously the way to go.
Do they seriously think anyone buys this?

Maybe read what they are actually arguing...

They are saying new experiences and fun gameplay is what makes games great, not resolution or fps.

Let's use an example... So what if two games are releasing, let's say Uncharted/Halo/Zelda or some other highly rated game is releasing at 720p 30fps. And the other one is something like Ride to Hell: Retribution releasing at 4k and 200fps.

Which is the better game?

I don't think he was saying it's the ONLY reason that games are good, just that it can be a reason a game is good; if nothing else, it isn't inconsequential.

And I'm inclined to agree with him. 60 FPS makes games like Bayonetta 2 and MGR that much better than the crowd of other action titles, for instance.

O/T: Resolution isn't as important to me, but I really have to wonder why Ubisoft is letting any of its employees discuss this anymore. Seems like every time they do, the internet just gets angrier at them.

Resolution definitely doesn't sell games. Gameplay 1st, graphics 2nd and resolution/FPS 3rd.

Add me on Xbox: DWTKarma 

Around the Network

Love the dude. Ubi +1. Ive been since a child a pc gamer and a bit of console on the side ever since the Atari Amstrad period. Im barely over 30years old with now gaming mostly on a console due to it being convenient and not having time cause of work and family etc.

Its embarrassing seeing a bunch of the vocal kiddos over the net who only matter cause the online media live and get paid from it, all of a sudden affect the gaming industry and future of software and hardware product. Its sad really.

The simplest example is the intro of this story. Sony all of a sudden instead of exclusives fronted indies and they mattered as much as 1080p. We live in a day and age where those crying and moaning about cinematic experiences are spending their free time with Minecraft with their friends and Spelanky where even up until, now without a comparison side by side on a website most wouldnt know a 1080p to a 700p game difference yet they are still talking about 1080p vs 900p as if they know wtf they are on about.

I sold my PS3 and not plan on getting onto the PS4 because I honestly like their community less and less. And wtf "we are legion" i have to chose if they are a moronic clan or simply underaged weirdos? People defend their favorite console more than they have family values anymore.

Abaddon said:
Love the dude. Ubi +1. Ive been since a child a pc gamer and a bit of console on the side ever since the Atari Amstrad period. Im barely over 30years old with now gaming mostly on a console due to it being convenient and not having time cause of work and family etc.

Its embarrassing seeing a bunch of the vocal kiddos over the net who only matter cause the online media live and get paid from it, all of a sudden affect the gaming industry and future of software and hardware product. Its sad really.

The simplest example is the intro of this story. Sony all of a sudden instead of exclusives fronted indies and they mattered as much as 1080p. We live in a day and age where those crying and moaning about cinematic experiences are spending their free time with Minecraft with their friends and Spelanky where even up until, now without a comparison side by side on a website most wouldnt know a 1080p to a 700p game difference yet they are still talking about 1080p vs 900p as if they know wtf they are on about.

I sold my PS3 and not plan on getting onto the PS4 because I honestly like their community less and less. And wtf "we are legion" i have to chose if they are a moronic clan or simply underaged weirdos? People defend their favorite console more than they have family values anymore.

What in the world are you on about?

The issue isn't resolution. Resolution was promised to gamers by both Sony and Microsoft. It was a lie. A bar they set to high to oversell their consoles. Now, they're trying to tell us resolution no longer matters when gamers were never concerned about resolution to begin with.

I can see why it should be news though. Parity is bad. If not resolution it should be effects or at least mention the framerate is more stable.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

While I agree that the experience a game brings is far more important than it's graphics, I'm growing a little tired of people talking about it as if it's an either/or debate.

There is no reason that a game that provides something new and exciting can't also look really good. The best developers know this and that's why they're the best.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.