By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the best form factor for a handheld?

Anything with a screen size bigger than 5" and flanked with buttons will start getting too big. A 7" screen would be even worse.And whatever it is it has to be under 1" thick. anything thicker start to feel too bulky.

If you wanna go as big as a 7" screen then it has to be a slider of some sort. But stil no bigger than 20mm thick. If going under or at 5" then it could be a flipper or have flanked buttons.

Around the Network

I this day and age, when so much people are comfortable lugging around huge phones, I think something like Wikipad is quite reasonable:

GBA original, the perfect handheld if we ignore the lack of light 

Also has something important new devices lack, which is it's thick. Makes a world of difference in grip.

PSP

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

This is starting to look more and more perfect. My phone is with me all the time, and the new Xperias have battery life for days. Give me remote play and PS Now over my LTE service, and i will be the happiest handheld gamer on the planet.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Intrinsic said:
Anything with a screen size bigger than 5" and flanked with buttons will start getting too big. A 7" screen would be even worse.And whatever it is it has to be under 1" thick. anything thicker start to feel too bulky.

If you wanna go as big as a 7" screen then it has to be a slider of some sort. But stil no bigger than 20mm thick. If going under or at 5" then it could be a flipper or have flanked buttons.

You might like this design where they slicked in controls onto a phone that are flush, but still functional.

If we are going pure comfort to play

Otherwise I guess something similar too this with better clickable sticks and triggers (and games)

A vita with a clamshell design, 10 hours of battery life, and comparable specs to XB1 would be a perfect handheld for me

If the new 3DS had a real second circle pad, that would be it.